Healthy Travel Recipes Anyone?

Options
I spend a majority of my time traveling & living in hotels, to save money I tend to not eat out which means I'm stuck with a microwave for all my cooking...Any simple healthy recipes that require a microwave or no cooking at all?

Replies

• insidemeout
    insidemeout Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you can pretty much make anything in the microwave!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    A favourite microwave meal is smoked fish, such as smoked mackerel. Microwave to warm up the fish, and serve with lemon and pepper. Add some frozen veg and a jacket potato which can also be microwaved.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Salads work well. I pack a small George Foreman grill and fix chicken and veggies in my room.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I travelled heaps for about a decade with my old job. When at home, I'd batch cook up my favourite foods, and brown rice or pasta, then let cool and parcel them out into ziptop bag single servings. Label, and pop them into the freezer. Then, before travelling, I'd grab an assortments of bags, put them into a tupperware (to prevent leaks or the condensation from making things in my bag wet), and put that into an insulated lunchbag or insulated 6-pack can holder.

I always ask for a fridge in my hotel room if there isn't already one to store the food (or if it is just an overnight trip, it'll be fine in the insulated bag since it started frozen) then just pop the meals of choice into the microwave for healthy, home-cooked meals on the road.

I also pack some individual serving packets of oatmeal, a little container of my protein powder, SLICED almonds (from the baking aisle), some of those Babybel lite cheeses (they are great because the red wax circular coating keeps them from smushing or making a mess) and protein and fiber bars as well, in case I get caught out without a microwave. You can always use the coffee maker or jug to warm up water and eat an oatmeal with nuts to keep hunger at bay. Often, hotels have a bowl of fruit, so you can add fruit to your oatmeal as well.

It's also nice to keep some bags of your favourite teas (I like Sleepytime at night, or Lipton's Blackberry Vanilla any time of day) or Lite Hot Cocoa Packets and packets of sweeter to make that sterile hotel room feel more like home.

I generally pick up fresh veggies/salad at my destination ( a quick stop at a supermarket is great if you have a rental car ). I keep a little screwtop bottle with some balsamic vinegar to dress it with (put a bit of cling wrap over the opening before screwing it shut, and put the whole little bottle into a ziptop bag, in case it opens!).

BTW, I have a special "Travel Bowl" which is thick plastic (light weight but sturdy; bought at the dollar store) with a wide base so it works kind of like a soup plate...kept in the carry-on. I keep plastic cutlery (knife, spoon, fork) in my carry on, and real cutlery (a sharp knife with a sleeve around it, a metal fork and spoon, plus chopsticks which are great for stirring as well as eating) in my checked bag (in case the checked bag gets lost, I can still prepare and eat my meals). I also carry plenty of paper towels or napkins and a few extra ziptop bags in my carry on and in my checked bag.

A little travel bottle with a bit of dishwashing liquid, and a sponge (in a ziptop bag) makes clean-up a breeze.

Enjoy your travel!
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    "Sludge" (protein pudding):
    5 scoops chocolate whey (isolate)
    2 tbsp xanthan gum
    2 tbsp olive oil
    (Alternatively you can use ground flaxseed to replace both the fat and fiber content of xanthan gum and olive oil)
    1/2 tsp sea salt

Optional:
    2 tbsp ground cinnamon
    Vanilla extract
    2 tbsp shredded coconut flakes
    Peanut butter or Almond butter
    Frozen berries or various fruit

Mix all dry ingredients well and SLOWLY add small portions of water until desired consistency. All you need is a mixing bowl and utensils. I literally lived off of this for months while living in a hotel. Also having a bag of ground oats would also be useful if you have a microwave
  • stacienorthern3
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Especially ideabaker for the details!!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You could buy plain rolled oats and make your own custom oatmeal blend, adding whatever nuts or seeds you'd like, plus cinnamon, a sweetener if you'd like it, and maybe protein powder. Measure out 1/2 cup, mix it with 1 cup of water, microwave for 2 minutes, then add whatever dried or fresh fruit you'd like.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of knife I keep in my checked bag: http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-31380-Utility-Knife-5-5-Inch/dp/B00421ATJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393094840&sr=1-1&keywords=travel+knife . It's great because it is super sharp and has a sheath to keep it from puncturing or putting a tear into anything else in the bag. I also travel with a pair of scissors with a slightly rounded tip (ditto the not tearing things in the bag) in the checked bag. Both have been life savers when I've arrived at a hotel room with a new packet of something that I can't get open!

If going to a destination for more than one night, those vacuum-packed pre-cooked rices (I like the plain brown rice) are convenient, and are great for bulking up soups or sliding under your home-cooked goodies. They can be popped straight into the microwave for warming as a bonus, with the leftovers left in the bag. A few small alligator clips were always in my bag for reclosing packages once open. I prefer taking my own rice, cooked in chicken broth instead of water, because it has more flavour.

I've become a master at saving tiny sealable containers (with screw tops, or Tupperware style)... if I see them anywhere, I grab them! Those small Chinese restaurant containers that they put the sauces into (when you order in) are fantastic. They are perfect for taking one or two servings of peanut butter, margarine/butter (there is nothing worse than having to pay a ridiculous sum for a single serve of butter, grrr!), honey, lite mayo, or whatever. Those tiny bottles of wine (think-what they serve on airplanes) or liquor, when emptied, make wonderful portable lite salad dressing holders. Again, even though your food is in a sealed container, put the containers in separate ziptop bags. I once had a very bad incident with a bottle of fingernail polish remover opening in my bag and it lifted the colour out of a red shirt, staining all my business clothes red! Now I don't leave anything to chance, and good thing as tops do loosen (air pressure changes on planes and jostling around in the bag is all it takes). Better safe than sorry.

Speaking of tiny things, I always had a drawer at home with those little packets of sugar, salt and pepper, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, and other condiments from fast-food restaurants. I just kind of collect them, as did all of my friends (they save them for me). These are great for travel and spicing up your hotel-prepared meals; just toss the ones that go with the meals you've packed before each trip.

I can't tell you how many times I've been caught out without a microwave to cook, so always keep some mixed nuts, a couple of tins of tuna (if you like it)/sardines, or potted salmon/chicken and crackers (in a hard tupperware-like container so they don't get crushed) and some powdered soup mixes in your bag (just watch the salt content!). You might travel for a year without opening them (they take forever to go off), but it only takes one time being stuck between an expensive restaurant meal or your stash, and you'll be happy you have it! (Even if you eat that, then go and eat LESS at the pricey restaurant.)

In fact, "Do you have microwaves in the rooms?" has become my standard question when travelling, right after "is there a refrigerator in the room?" and just before asking "Do you have gym facilities?". If there is a minibar but no other fridge, you can usually tuck your own things around the minibar items so you aren't charged.

People probably think I'm nuts, but I carry a couple of slices of wholemeal bread in one of those kids' sandwich holders (looks like Tupperware but only fits one sandwich in it) with me, especially on international flights. When everyone else has their white bread, I can make sure I have something whole grained. If you don't want to cart around bread, wholegrain tortillas work well, too... put the bag of tortillas into a larger ziptop bag so you can reclose it and keep it fresh. Beef Jerky is also great for carry-on protein. For international flights, be sure to throw away your leftovers on the plane so you aren't taking fresh food into the other country.

I'm a breakfast eater, so if going somewhere for only one night and breakfast is going to be expensive (as hotel breakfasts can be), I either have my oats, but have been known to make mini-frittatas at home (eggs or egg whites scrambled and poured into oil-sprayed muffin tins, sprinkled with sauteed onion and veggies/ham/a bit of grated cheese and baked in the oven at home, tossed into the freezer in two 'muffin' portions) and carry along a couple with me. They heat up well in the microwave and can be crumbled into your tortillas, or just eaten straight. Alternatively, egg whites freeze well, so you can pour some into a small container and freeze (leave room for expansion) then toss them into a ziptop and into your insulated bag. When you get to your destination, let thaw in the fridge, and you can scramble them fresh in your microwave.

I love to eat, and love to travel still, so am happy to help in any way I can!

Happy travels!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Load up on fresh fruit and veg (I find premade salads in grocery stores are quite good when you get them fresh)

You can also buy the precooked chicken to add to your salads, hummus dip, yogurts, oatmeal, baked potatoes are good minus the extra stuff (you could replace sour cream with plain yogurt), you could purchase one of those microwave egg cooker thingys and buy a carton of egg whites and have that inside a pita with some cheese and fresh tomatoes and peppers

Buy your water at the grocery store also as I find at hotels the price is way more.

If there is a coffee shop close by there are usually low cal option breakfast sandwiches for breakfast and they are cheap and give you protein in the morning (which is what I like to keep me going)
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners-- unfortunately they usually contain a lot of sodium, buttttttt still healthier than fast food (some of them anyways).