Hello from Kentucky

Options
Hi, I'm new to myfitnesspal and blogging in general. I am female, about to turn 62, and weigh 345 lbs currently. I have a very sedentary job and get very little exercise. In addition, I know I am out of control on the eating, and my blood sugar is out of control. I hurt at the hips, knees, and walking has become unbearable. In addition, I have several other conditions related to obesity --- high blood pressure, diabetes, an atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat), several back problems (disk degeneration, arthritis, narrow opening for my spinal cord, a damaged nerve on my left upper leg), and sleep apnea. Any exercise that involves walking, running, or getting on my knees or the floor are out of the question due to the pain level that quickly shoots up to a 10 in about a minute. And I also have a chronic form of cancer (chronic lymphocytic leukemia); I am currently in remission. So that's every thing that's wrong with me physically. I'm in pretty crappy shape; I'm very unhappy with myself; and I know I am gambling with my life every time I eat or drink unwisely or continue this non-movement lifestyle.

I don't want you to think I'm a negative person. Actually, most people would call me cheerful or pleasant. I have a lot of good things going for me. I'm happily married for going on 44 years this coming New Year's eve. I have a good job, it pays well, and I can work from home (in my nightgown if I feel like it)! I have a great dog and a salt water aquarium that my husband maintains for me. My house will be paid off this year. My family is here in the same city and we're on all good terms. I have a broad range of interests, and when I have the time I work in several hobbies. I do have a recumbent bike that I use occasionally and also a 3 wheel bike that I ride outside to give my dog some exercise.

I've been thinking about my life and how it has become one that I am not enjoying because of my physical ondition. There's a line in a movie called the "Shawshank Redemption" about a man (Tim Robbins) who gets unjustly sent to prison for life and has to make the best of his situation. Anyway, he becomes friends with another inmate (Morgan Freeman) who at one point says "You can get busy living or get busy dying". I have chosen to "get busy living". So I figure to use all you out in the blog universe. Maybe I can learn from you, or maybe you can learn something from me.

So anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. We're all on the same quest, and although we all may take different paths, I'm sure we'll cross occasionally. Good night!

Replies

• PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi. Lets be pals. I'm 67. I used this website to good success in 2012. Then I fell, had to have surgery and of the 40 pounds I'd lost, I gained back 30. I just finished a second course of physical therapy that really did the trick and I feel better, walk better and am determined to get back on that horse (figuratively only).

I too work from home in my own house in Minnesota and I have 2 little dogs I love -- no husband.

As far as encouragement, I would say to log your food every single day. Once you enter all the info and get the calorie count they suggest, just try to keep within that calorie count, watch all the other parameters too (Sodium is big problem in most foods). Even if you overeat, log it. You can use those logs to learn to adjust your food intake as you go.

Best of luck on your quest for better health. Add me if you like and we'll "get busy living."
  • jmarcin78
    Options
    Kentucky ladies have to stick together. :) I am sending you a friend request. Jen