What do you recommend?

Options
I'm 55, 238lbs, 5'5' and have a sedentary lifestyle. I have just started walking 1/2 hour per day. I have 2lb, 5lb and 8lb weights at home and numerous DVD's including 30DayShred and some step aerobic DVDs. I can't afford a gym membership. What do you recommend to help me get back into shape?

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    COMMIT TO YOURSELF to complete 30DS in the month of March.

From there, you'll be on your way.
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would like to do just that (30 Day Shred). I am worried my knees won't take it though. But I can try. Working up to it by walking in February might help. Certainly waiting until March seems like a good idea.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yep, I love walking and I think walking is the best way to start anything. It primes you for increased activity and exercise. I walked at a faster and faster and faster pace before I started running and it really helped with the transition.

As for 30DS, the most important thing is to COMMIT that no matter what, you're going to do it and see it through. That's what I did and I was lucky to find an accountability group for that month. The accountability really helped, plus we gave & got tips from each other, such as if someone was having knee problems, how to substitute or how to lessen the impact, and when to start trying to test your knees out again, etc. Knees will have to go through a adaptation period, just like every part of you (I had this to happen especially with my knees and my shins when I started running--there was pain & recovery, and eventually I came out the other side stronger). It's important to find the balance between not injuring yourself, but also continuing to push and allow the body to adapt.

The main thing is to "just do it" and then let the results you see push you forward to the next thing.

Good luck! :smile:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just try something. You don't need a gym membership unless you want to get in to lifting and don't want to buy weights. Definitely start with 30 day shred and do the modified moves if you're having trouble, but I would also recommend you keep up your walking schedule on top of it because it really doesn't burn as many calories as you might expect.
  • 46Phil
    Options
    Thank you!
  • 46Phil
    Options
    I assume you mean that the 30Day Shred doesn't burn as many calories as expected. Thank you for that information!
  • wolvesmom52
    wolvesmom52 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is walking. I am 53 yrs old and 5ft 7in tall. I also have many dvd's for when the weather is bad, so I can exercise inside.

I would recommend just increasing your walking times. Then when the weather is bad, do a dvd. Variety in walking and what dvd you use, should help you. Many times when I walk outside I also vary my route too.

I used to only be able to walk 2 miles. Now I am up to 5 miles at once! Where once I did not really like to exercise, I now do it 6 times a week! Unheard of for me!

PS I have also tried one of those Biggest Loser dvd's and I did not enjoy it. I enjoy Leslie Sanson's dvd's and have about 5 or 6 that I do. You have to do what exercise you enjoy!
  • racrfish
    Options
    I have very bad knees from an old injury, and I used to do 30DS. I think Level 2 was hard on them, but levels 1 and 3 were okay, so I think I just switched it up between those two when I did it. Level 2 was a lot of jumping and lunging but the other two were fun.

There are also a lot of body weight exercises you can do at home in addition to walking: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

Hope that helps :)
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of free stuff online so no need to buy gym membership or dvds, unless you want to of course. One thing to remember starting out is you need to do your best, which may not be as fast as the JM or whoever, so don't get down because that will change as you lose the weight. Good luck to you!
  • 46Phil
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Work yourself up to more than 30 mins a day.... try to get up to an hour. This itself will help you a lot.

You can also try basic exercises at home: pushups, wall squats, walking lunges etc.

Also if you get bored of walking you can look for free low intensity aerobic workouts on youtube.

Good luck to you!!!!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone workouts. You can find most of them for free on YouTube. I've also found Jessica Smith's workouts to be great. Also free on her website. Fitness Blender has some good workouts - again, free online (but a little more difficult in my opinion).

Walking outdoors is also a great start.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership to get into shape. Maybe purchase more videos for variety. I have a ton that I don't use, want them? ;-]

Ever bid on Ebay? You can get really cheap one's!

As for your knees, I can't lunge like I used to because my knees are not good, so I only go down part of the way, or I will squat instead. Sometimes I do dead lifts (love those)!

Good luck!!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You do not have to have a gym membership. Keep slowly increasing your activity level with what your comfortable with. Variety is good and finding exercise/dvd workouts that you enjoy so you can stick with it. Body weight exercises can also be helpful. Pushups (even knee), air squats, jumping jacks, jump rope. standing lunges, etc. There are also many wokrout websites with free workouts for ideas . Fit miss, body rock tv, girls gone strong, bodybuilding.com
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    There are always alternatives or moderations to exercises if you feel uncomfortable - just do what feels right if something doesn't feel right don't risk injury just skip it and move on and look for an alternative online later to replace that particular move. :flowerforyou: