time to admit I'm morbidly obese!!

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Admitting it is the first step. Congrats! Log everything you eat and drink every day. Stay with in your allowed calories and move more if you are able. You WILL be successful if you do this!
    For the first time in decades, I can say I am a "normal" weight, after being morbidly obese. It is very liberating.
    Best of luck to everyone!

P.S. No pills, drugs, surgery, diet gimmicks, just plain old counting calories and moving more when I got about 90# of excess weight off of my knees. I am 62, so if I can do it, most anyone without health problems can.
  • My worst was when I was 260-270 at the end of my pregnancy, which then I lost to 240 after my son was born. I kept the weight for a year (abusive relationship), before walking away and just by working 5 days a week on my feet (full day summer gig) I lost 45 lbs over that summer, got down to just under 200 lbs. I have been floating between 180 and 215 for the last 4-5 years after that, and now am taking serious measures to lose weight. I take this challenge from multiple sides: I eat no more than 1200 calories a day, 3 square meals with lean protein and lots of fruits and veggies; nixed added salts, sugars, soy, alcohol, processed and junk foods, grains/starches, and dairy; and exercising by burning at least 600 calories a day by walking and building resistance. After just getting under 190 today I am still technically obese, but I have been breaking this down in groups of 20 lbs, my next goal is getting under 170 so my BMI (I am 63.5") is under 30, and therefore just overweight, not obese.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    I weighed 368 pounds a year ago. Then I started getting severe chest pains at rest and realized my lifestyle was literally killing me. After some research I realized that most people in the US die from preventable diet related diseases like heart disease. I didn't want that to be me.

I adopted a plant-based diet and I have lost 169 pounds in just under a year. I now weigh under 200 pounds and I don't have much left to lose, being 6'2" and highly active. I reversed a lifetime of obesity in under a year.

Weight loss is important for improving quality of life and reversing obesity, but I've known extremely healthy looking and active people who have had heart attacks. It is the Standard American Diet that is killing us, not "genetics" or some flaw in the human body that means we need to constantly and carefully practice self control and willpower over the foods we eat. We just need to eat the right foods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ
  • kmorring2014
    kmorring2014 Posts: 23 Member
    I am/was in the same boat (not sure of my current BMI). I started my weight loss journey at 410 pounds in September 2007 (at my engagement party). I got down to 295 for my wedding (July 2009) and then the unthinkable happened - my husband of 9 months was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in April 2010. He was in the hospital for a MONTH (after his successful surgery, he vomited and aspirated which caused pnemonia and shock/sepsis for his body). Thankfully he is in remission now, but I gained back all but 35 pounds of what I had lost. After he was finished with chemotherapy, I started working out again and got back down to 275 when we decided to try to get pregnant. Well, we did and I gained a bunch prior to pregnancy due to infertility medication and then gained another 45 pounds during my pregnancy. So when my son was born I weighed in at 369 pounds (this was November 2012). I have since dropped down to 243 before Thanksgiving, but did not do well over the holidays and haven't been able to get my head back on straight since the start of the New Year. I am NOT gaining all this weight back again - I am 50 pounds shy of my 200 pound goal and I AM going to get there this year (hopefully by the end of the summer). Looking for friends and support of folks who KNOW what it's like.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    I'm 5"5" and started at 158, so I feel you. My first year I lost 56 pounds. No special pills or shakes. Just counting calories and exercising. Is it always easy? No, of course not. But it's so worth it!! I did cut out most processed foods but that's just my personal preference. Allows me to eat more volume and I just feel better about what I'm eating. But plenty of people loss weight and still eat junk and fast food.

Here's a good place to start http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Sometimes it can be very overwhelming to make a lot of changes at once. My suggestion would be to make a change each week or so. First, start getting into the habit of logging your food, then swap one unhealthy item for one healthy, etc. Some do lose weight without exercising but for me, I want to be fit not just skinny and it allows me to eat more, so I would suggest starting to add in some exercise. You could start walking or find free videos on youtube (fitness blender has some good ones).

For recipes, I love www.skinnytaste.com.

For motivation, I bought a goal dress that hangs where I can see it in my room. I also have written some quotes that I like and post those around. I want to reach my ultimate goal by May 2015, when my daughter graduates from high school (boohoo!). So I try to keep mindful of that. I've been overweight throughout most of my children's lives. I'm absent in most photos as I was always embarrassed at how I looked. But that's changing for me know and that's definitely worth not eating a big mac or taking the time to work out.

If you'd like to friend me, feel free. I still have about 60 pounds to go, so I'm in this for the long haul. And this isn't a diet for me, this is a change that I'm making for the rest of my life, so I don't see myself leaving MFP anytime in the near future.

You can do this, I promise!!
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    I was morbidly obese at this time last year -- and I had almost given up hope of ever losing weight. Then something in my head clicked and I knew it was time to change my life for the better. I started logging my food daily. Then, a few weeks later, I started exercising (only 25 minutes at a time at a very low intensity). A while after that, I stopped drinking wine except on very special occasions.

And here I am a year later, someone who loves her new, healthy lifestyle -- and who still can't believe that she's dropped all this weight. If I can do this (at age 50) you can do this. There aren't any secrets. There isn't any magic. It's simply about consistency and knowing what you want for yourself.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Weight Loss Surgery. Check out the groups for "VSG" - plenty of pre and post operation contributors.

WTF dude. Get the hell out of here.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    You've come to the right place! Everyone here is super supportive and motivating!
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    I started at 270 lb and 5'4- so I understand-- it takes time and you can do it. I started doing things slowly- modified my diet and walking at first- high protein/lower (but not no) carb works for me. I now work out several times a week and am down about 50 lb. You can do it- I am doing things slowly - no fad diets for me-- when I cook for my family, I eat a lot of veggies and protein and one piece of fruit every day. Good luck to you!
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Weight Loss Surgery. Check out the groups for "VSG" - plenty of pre and post operation contributors.

No.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member

Gold medal for dumbest advice of the day. Congratulations!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Sorry, you must have a typo... You can't have lost soo much weight with a starting weight of 158.,,

I'm 5"5" and started at 158, so I feel you. My first year I lost 56 pounds. No special pills or shakes. Just counting calories and exercising. Is it always easy? No, of course not. But it's so worth it!! I did cut out most processed foods but that's just my personal preference. Allows me to eat more volume and I just feel better about what I'm eating. But plenty of people loss weight and still eat junk and fast food.

Here's a good place to start http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Sometimes it can be very overwhelming to make a lot of changes at once. My suggestion would be to make a change each week or so. First, start getting into the habit of logging your food, then swap one unhealthy item for one healthy, etc. Some do lose weight without exercising but for me, I want to be fit not just skinny and it allows me to eat more, so I would suggest starting to add in some exercise. You could start walking or find free videos on youtube (fitness blender has some good ones).

For recipes, I love www.skinnytaste.com.

For motivation, I bought a goal dress that hangs where I can see it in my room. I also have written some quotes that I like and post those around. I want to reach my ultimate goal by May 2015, when my daughter graduates from high school (boohoo!). So I try to keep mindful of that. I've been overweight throughout most of my children's lives. I'm absent in most photos as I was always embarrassed at how I looked. But that's changing for me know and that's definitely worth not eating a big mac or taking the time to work out.

If you'd like to friend me, feel free. I still have about 60 pounds to go, so I'm in this for the long haul. And this isn't a diet for me, this is a change that I'm making for the rest of my life, so I don't see myself leaving MFP anytime in the near future.

You can do this, I promise!!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    I am bumping this so I can read stories later (My toddler is yelling for me) and I am in the same boat! Like you said, it is hard to put those words together when describing yourself...
  • ReadE2BHealthy
    ReadE2BHealthy Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone, what a great spot to go to for encouragement. I am currently in my fifth week and have lost 6.5 lbs. I am frustrated although I know should be happy with that. I just remember this being so much easier (of course when I was younger). I am encouraged by all of your posts! Thanks and good luck!
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    You are beautiful! Love your picture. Your weight is not who you are as a person and has nothing to do with your value or worth. You will lose the weight slowly and feel better and it's good for your health. Morbidly is such a dark word. It relates really to disease or illness. Think of it this way and not as gross or gruesome. You will lose weight to prevent getting sick. It's a health issue not a worth issue.

You might look into volumetrics diet -- the "eat this not that" books etc. I like the shakes because it's easy but you are right -- you need to find something you have interest in or it won't be fulfilling.

If you just tell yourself to track this week and next that would be a huge first step. You can do it.

Good luck!!! Friend me if you want :)
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Hi
    Reading all these stories is so inspirational and supportive. I joined MFP at the beginning of the week and am morbidly obese too (oh God I hate that expression). I feel so ashamed to be this way and so want to be healthy and fit. Add me as a friend if you wish and we can encourage each other. Good luck

Yvie xx
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member

Gold medal for dumbest advice of the day. Congratulations!
    I've never had surgery and have never been a candidate for it. It's ridiculous to diagnose someone as a candidate for surgery but it is a legitimate method for some people. I have several MFP friends who have had surgery with remarkable success. But yeah, consult a doctor not an MFP thread.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member

Uh, no :noway:

Your starting weight and height were/are the same as mine. I hate to be cliché, but if I can do it, so can you. And after losing the first 60 pounds, I gained that half an inch in height that I'd lost due to all that weight pressing me down.

At first, make small changes. I think that I've failed in the past by changing too many things too quickly. Go to this website and calculate your BMR and TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I would not recommend doing MFP's 1200 calorie idea--good way to burn out quickly. If you do, make sure to eat back your exercise calories.

Don't ditch your favorite foods, nor do you need to now eat only 'healthy' foods even if you don't like them--also a good way to burn out. Just eat less than you burn. Simple...but not easy.

Feel free to send me a friend request!:flowerforyou:

THIS!

I had lost 40 pounds when life came up and punched me in the face...BECAUSE of my habits, I only gained 20 of that back, instead of gaining all forty plus some of his friends! Now I am back on track to losing, slow and steady. Gaining back habits that weren't so engrained and thankful for the ones that had become second nature! IT DOES HAPPEN!!!

I am here every day. Feel free to add me!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Here's the most important piece of advice I can give you: Don't quit.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    You are barely morbidly obese. You are not far from plain old obese.

As someone who was SUPER morbidly obese (read: 380 lbs and a whopping inch taller than you), I just wanted to say that YES it CAN be done and you CAN do it without weight loss surgery or a fad diet or starving yourself or exercising 24/7 doing crap you don't like.

Here's my hot advice:
    Make changes that you can live with. They don't have to be huge and they add up.
    Find something you love and do it.
    Celebrate your victories.
    Make better choices.
    Figure out a healthy, sustainable method that works for you and stick to it.
    DON'T GIVE UP.