best workouts for lean muscles

Options
Hi all! I haven't been on in a WHILE! I'm back at it again and I have a question. I'm feeling my legs get very muscular and they're already muscular enough. What exercises are good for bulking down my muscles, if that's possible? I've heard pilates is good but I need some more input. Thanks!

Replies

• MissMandyB
    MissMandyB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have bulky legs no matter what size I am but I found my legs were the leanest when I was doing ballet (this was when I was 20). It's pretty hard to find beginner adult ballet dance classes which are reasonably priced (I've tried!) but I've found pole dancing has a similar effect, it's become a pretty popular sport these days and is a fantastic workout!
  • lisa_08
    Options
    I've heard that's a pretty good workout! I might give that a try! Thanks!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Are you sure you are adding muscle to you're legs and not fat? It is very tough for women to get 'bulky'. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help of course.

No exercise is going to slim you're legs down. Actually exercise will make you're muscles grow. The only way to slim is to trim body fat. You do that by a good diet, because you cannot target fat loss.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    There are androgen receptors in our muscles that affect how the muscles develop. Most people have more androgen receptors in the muscles closer to the head, and less in muscles towards the feet. This is why most older bodybuilders had smaller legs, while modern bodybuilders have massive legs, because steroids downplay the role of naturally occurring androgen receptor levels.

Some people, however, have opposite receptor distribution, with more towards the feet. These are the people who have naturally well developed calves, and is the reason why people usually have either very large or very small calves. Lisa, this could very well be the case for you.

I would suggest a combination of stretching and long-distance running to help you. Stretching is just to help the tightness that usually comes with larger muscles. The long distance running is what I think can really help. There is a reason you never see a muscular marathon runner. Long-term leg based cardiovascular exercise will cause you to lose lean mass in your legs. For most this is a downside, but it seems like exactly what you want. If you are also dieting, then it should be even easier to place your body in a catabolic state, which will result in your body using both fat and lean mass as fuel. Again, not good for most, but exactly what you need.

I would warn you, however, that placing yourself in a catabolic state with cardio and dieting will use lean mass from your whole body. If its just your legs in which you need to control mass, then make sure you are doing resistance training for your upper body only, to help you maintain upper body lean mass.
  • phoenix66
    phoenix66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would try more cardio opposed to weight training.