Question for the Keto people....

Options
I keep reading that Keto is low carb, high fat so I am wondering why not low carb and low fat? Just wondering why keto is high fat instead of low carb and low fat. Is this better than low carb, low fat and why?

Thanks so much!
Lisa

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want - at a deficit - and move on.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The high fat is to provide the fuel that would have been provided by the carbs. The low carb is so the body is forced to use its own fuel - your excess body fat to make up for the calorie deficit .
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that Keto is low carb, high fat so I am wondering why not low carb and low fat? Just wondering why keto is high fat instead of low carb and low fat. Is this better than low carb, low fat and why?

Thanks so much!
    Lisa

From what I understand about keto, since energy is no longer coming from carbs, it has to come from somewhere else and fats are the next best thing for the body to get energy from. Besides, fats are good for us and they do regulate hormones in us ladies. Plus, I find full fat foods to be way yummier now!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The high fat is to provide the fuel that would have been provided by the carbs. The low carb is so the body is forced to use its own fuel - your excess body fat to make up for the calorie deficit .

Those two statements are inconsistent with each other. If "low carb" forces the body to fuel from internal fat stores, then there should be no reason to eat "high fat...to provide...fuel".
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why aren't people doing a low carb, low fat, low protein diet?
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you cut Fat and Carb, you have only Protein left. So a low-carb low-fat diet would pretty much be an all-protein diet. There are only a few foods that are all protein, so you would end up eating the same three or four things all the time.
  • orangejulius
    orangejulius Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of great information on the Keto in a Nutshell Google document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit?pli=1
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Because that's a good way to hurt yourself?
  • Sarahnade42x
    Options

So is an all protein diet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Kinda like being in long term ketosis.
  • orangejulius
    orangejulius Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Keto isn't an "all protein diet".
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

Thanks so much!
    Lisa

From what I understand about keto, since energy is no longer coming from carbs, it has to come from somewhere else and fats are the next best thing for the body to get energy from. Besides, fats are good for us and they do regulate hormones in us ladies. Plus, I find full fat foods to be way yummier now!

Thank you! Makes sense to me now.
  • alibee88
    Options

Yaaay alcohol!! :happy:
  • Sarahnade42x
    Options

This post is about low carb, low fat, which would be an "all protein diet" unless you really like alcohol.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Yaaay alcohol!! :happy:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Kinda like being in long term ketosis.

Which is why you GRADUALLY reintroduce SOME carbs back into your diet. Logic and common sense tells us that.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

This post is about low carb, low fat, which would be an "all protein diet" unless you really like alcohol.

Actually this post was a question regarding low carb and why it's NOT low fat too. Only two people, myself included, answered the question.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are great books out there explaining it but basically Ladymiseryali already said it - you need to get your calories from somewhere, and fat is the least likely to spike your insulin levels.

You split your percentage of macros up differently on a keto diet. On a food pyramid diet, you would usually see 60% carb or more, 20% protein, 20% fat. On a ketogenic diet, its split roughly like this: 5-10% carb, 25-30% protein, 60-80% fat. You can have a bit higher depending on your activity and size. It emphasizes moderate amount of protein, not high, since too much protein can still be made into glycogen (as carb does) through a process called gluconeogenesis.

The rest of the macros in your day comes from fat, mostly medium to short chain fats, monounsaturated, some saturated, more omega 3 than omega 6. It doesn't mean gobble up any ol' fat, it means selecting a healthy range of healthy essential fat, such as from avocados and coconuts. Fat helps with the production of hormones, so the fact people think it's bad and all the same is a giant mistake.

The statement about low carb being hard on bowel movement is biased. If you eat enough greens, vegetables and drink enough water regularly, you will not have this problem. Mind you, there is constipation, irritable bowel and all kinds of diseases in the high carb diet too. So don't be blind to that. Keto diet is actually a diet first used to treat children with epilepsy, it isn't a fad diet or extreme. It's actually a diet that is practiced around the world and for hundreds of thousands of years. So please, get it out of your head that it is bad. It works wonders for certain people with insulin resistance, seizures, epilepsy, ADD and diabetes. So please do your research before dismissing it.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Options

Actually this post was a question regarding low carb and why it's NOT low fat too. Only two people, myself included, answered the question.
    :huh:
    She's asking why the diet isn't both low carb and low fat, which makes that the subject of this post. All I did was comment on the absurdity of progressively cutting out entire food groups -- people don't do it because it's unreasonable, unsustainable and unhealthy. (And I'm specifically referring to this hypothetical low fat/low carb alternative and not your keto diet, despite how I feel about that, so relax.)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    There are great books out there explaining it but basically Ladymiseryali already said it - you need to get your calories from somewhere, and fat is the least likely to spike your insulin levels.

You split your percentage of macros up differently on a keto diet. On a food pyramid diet, you would usually see 60% carb or more, 20% protein, 20% fat. On a ketogenic diet, its split roughly like this: 5-10% carb, 25-30% protein, 60-80% fat. You can have a bit higher depending on your activity and size. It emphasizes moderate amount of protein, not high, since too much protein can still be made into glycogen (as carb does) through a process called gluconeogenesis.

The rest of the macros in your day comes from fat, mostly medium to short chain fats, monounsaturated, some saturated, more omega 3 than omega 6. It doesn't mean gobble up any ol' fat, it means selecting a healthy range of healthy essential fat, such as from avocados and coconuts. Fat helps with the production of hormones, so the fact people think it's bad and all the same is a giant mistake.

The statement about low carb being hard on bowel movement is biased. If you eat enough greens, vegetables and drink enough water regularly, you will not have this problem. Mind you, there is constipation, irritable bowel and all kinds of diseases in the high carb diet too. So don't be blind to that. Keto diet is actually a diet first used to treat children with epilepsy, it isn't a fad diet or extreme. It's actually a diet that is practiced around the world and for hundreds of thousands of years. So please, get it out of your head that it is bad. It works wonders for certain people with insulin resistance, seizures, epilepsy, ADD and diabetes. So please do your research before dismissing it.

Thanks so much!