Help!! Not losing

Options
Hi Everyone, I am getting really frustrated with this diet thing! I started this journey in August of 2012 and had lost 52 pds then in June of 2013 I stopped losing and never lost a thing for a long time. I raised my calories from the start from 1200 to 1300 and had lost an extra 6 pds and stalled again so I have been increasing my calories thinking I was just too low. I went to the doctor in October and he told me to start eating 1600 because I was eating too low since then I have just been gaining. Last month I started exercising 5-6 times a week hoping that would help but each week I see a 1 pd gain so that is not helping. I either do 30 day shred or Hard body for work outs. Needing help to get the scale to go back down

Replies

• kingmmmy
    kingmmmy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • michael300891
    Options
    First up, forget any concerns that you have 'damaged' your metabolism, or are in 'starvation' mode or anything like that: Thoughts which could be fluttering around and probably mentioned by others. You cannot 'damage' your metabolism, and although 'starvation' mode does exist, it occurs during extreme consistent energy deprivation.

The point you are at now, is one in which you have successfully lost 52 pounds (congratulations) and are looking to move forward.

Almost certainly, the inability to lose weight comes from one of the following:

- You are eating more than you are recording - most people undereport energy intake by around 10%

- You are burning less energy during exercise than you suspect - This may be because however you are calculating is overestimating etc

This is resulting in an energy balance, I would suspect, to be around equivalent (i.e. energy intake = energy expenditure)

You need to reduce calorie intake starting at the ~1600kcal values, perhaps try 100kcal down per fortnight, maintaining exercise activity. After every fortnight, reweight yourself and use this to determine if you the energy intake of that fortnight was appropriate for weight loss.

Remember, as you get smaller it becomes more difficult to lose fat mass.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:
  • kingmmmy
    Options
    First up, forget any concerns that you have 'damaged' your metabolism, or are in 'starvation' mode or anything like that: Thoughts which could be fluttering around and probably mentioned by others. You cannot 'damage' your metabolism, and although 'starvation' mode does exist, it occurs during extreme consistent energy deprivation.

The point you are at now, is one in which you have successfully lost 52 pounds (congratulations) and are looking to move forward.

Almost certainly, the inability to lose weight comes from one of the following:

- You are eating more than you are recording - most people undereport energy intake by around 10%

- You are burning less energy during exercise than you suspect - This may be because however you are calculating is overestimating etc

This is resulting in an energy balance, I would suspect, to be around equivalent (i.e. energy intake = energy expenditure)

You need to reduce calorie intake starting at the ~1600kcal values, perhaps try 100kcal down per fortnight, maintaining exercise activity. After every fortnight, reweight yourself and use this to determine if you the energy intake of that fortnight was appropriate for weight loss.

Remember, as you get smaller it becomes more difficult to lose fat mass.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:
  • kingmmmy
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong but, since I never eat back my exercise calories does it matter how many calories up that I burn. I know I estimate them and keep them on the low side say if the dvd is 25 min i put 18 and if its 45 I put 28 because I don't have a heart rate to get the exact amount?
  • kingmmmy
    Options
  • rlbartle
    rlbartle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That all sounds so familar. It is almost word for word of what I am going throught now. I have reviewed a number of websites (including Mayo clinic), but the following one seemed to make sense, http://www.builtlean.com/2012/05/22/weight-loss-plateau/

I have lost a lttle over 50 lbs and have experienced a couple of plateaus, but this one has lasted over 3 weeks. I am going to try to follow this article and see whar happens. If you find anything that may be better please let me know.
    Randy
  • Pendra53
    Options
    Try losing it when you're 60. Aghhhhh!!! Following a diet set up my doctor and a nutritionist, 1200 calories a day, only have 20 pounds to lose, but I keep gaining. I am meticulously weighing and measuring my food and calories, exercising at least 4 times a week, do a lot of cardio and fat burn plus some strength training. Everyone tells me, you're 60, so you're a little overweight. How frustrating that is. My husband is a gym rat, always has been, and at 60 is in better shape than a lot of 30 year olds. He is an inspiration and at the same time, another frustration, lol. He is one of those people who just never gains weight. Love him dearly but am totally jealous!!! Anyway, I just can't seem to find my stride. Have done TOPS, Weight Watchers, which actually was successful for about 3 months and then I stopped losing. I have now gained back 8 pounds since September, and am at my wits end. What now????
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong but, since I never eat back my exercise calories does it matter how many calories up that I burn. I know I estimate them and keep them on the low side say if the dvd is 25 min i put 18 and if its 45 I put 28 because I don't have a heart rate to get the exact amount?

If you don't eat back your exercise cals, that helps, but the overall equation is the same. Seems that calories in = calories out.

Do you use a food scale to measure your food? Do you track everything that you eat? How often do you have "cheat days" or "cheat meals"? All of this plays a role. The figure of 10% underreporting of intake sounds low to me, I think it tends to be higher for most folks. It's really easy to eat more than you track, especially if you are working out a lot. Cardio makes me super hungry, and I usually eat more than I burn (doh!) so that's not been a great route for me, personally.

At any rate - I would look at the intake side of the equation and see what opportunities you have there. Congrats on the 50+ lbs, that's awesome!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You should shoot for 500 calorie deficit and take into consideration how many calories your burning. You'll need something to measure calorie burn, something with a HRM to be most accurate to get a good idea of your burn. Or just estimate like you are now. I'm not sure what type of workouts your doing but I know I burn about 300 calories in a 25 minute cardio type workout like Focus T25 so I think you might be underestimating calories. Also, I think it depends on what type of calories you are eating. You might still be coming in under goal but if it's all carbs or sugar calories, that's not going to work. Not saying yours are, I haven't seen your diary but you want to be sure you are getting sufficient amounts of protein too!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try losing it when you're 60. Aghhhhh!!! Following a diet set up my doctor and a nutritionist, 1200 calories a day, only have 20 pounds to lose, but I keep gaining. I am meticulously weighing and measuring my food and calories, exercising at least 4 times a week, do a lot of cardio and fat burn plus some strength training. Everyone tells me, you're 60, so you're a little overweight. How frustrating that is. My husband is a gym rat, always has been, and at 60 is in better shape than a lot of 30 year olds. He is an inspiration and at the same time, another frustration, lol. He is one of those people who just never gains weight. Love him dearly but am totally jealous!!! Anyway, I just can't seem to find my stride. Have done TOPS, Weight Watchers, which actually was successful for about 3 months and then I stopped losing. I have now gained back 8 pounds since September, and am at my wits end. What now????

Good for you!! Are you kidding? Working out that hard at your age is wonderful! So many people use age as their excuse. But like one of my favorite trainers always says (Tony Horton), aging is for people who don't know better!
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    Options

You should shoot for 500 calorie deficit and take into consideration how many calories your burning. You'll need something to measure calorie burn, something with a HRM to be most accurate to get a good idea of your burn. Or just estimate like you are now. I'm not sure what type of workouts your doing but I know I burn about 300 calories in a 25 minute cardio type workout like Focus T25 so I think you might be underestimating calories. Also, I think it depends on what type of calories you are eating. You might still be coming in under goal but if it's all carbs or sugar calories, that's not going to work. Not saying yours are, I haven't seen your diary but you want to be sure you are getting sufficient amounts of protein too!

A calorie is a calorie.. doesn't matter if it's protein, sugar etc. as relates to fat loss. If you have room in your plan for some sweets - have some. Don't let the "sugar scare" keep you off of it. There are many benefits to eating lots of protein (helps retain muscle mass, especially when losing weight. Also helps you feel more full) but in terms of fat loss, truly a calorie is a calorie, and you just need to expend more than you intake.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Or maybe try this point of view if calories as low as that with that amount of exercise isn't working for you? I'm just starting out but this does make sense to me. You need the energy to fuel all that exercise properly so you can work harder at it.
  • kingmmmy
    Options

For exercise I usually do 30 day shred by jillian micheals which is 25 min or Hard body by Jillian Micheals which is 45 min just depends on the day. I do have sweets but my carbs or 50% or under I have been trying to keep it at 40%. I have a fitbit which says I am burning between 2200-2500 calories a day but I don't know how accurate those are.
  • kingmmmy
    Options

If you don't eat back your exercise cals, that helps, but the overall equation is the same. Seems that calories in = calories out.

Do you use a food scale to measure your food? Do you track everything that you eat? How often do you have "cheat days" or "cheat meals"? All of this plays a role. The figure of 10% underreporting of intake sounds low to me, I think it tends to be higher for most folks. It's really easy to eat more than you track, especially if you are working out a lot. Cardio makes me super hungry, and I usually eat more than I burn (doh!) so that's not been a great route for me, personally.

At any rate - I would look at the intake side of the equation and see what opportunities you have there. Congrats on the 50+ lbs, that's awesome!

Thanks, I usually have a cheat weekend once a month or month and half but that really is the only time I do go over. I wouldn't think that i eat enough to gain 6 pounds this month. Just really stuck right now
    I