How much exercise should I do?

Options
I'm a 19 year old girl and I weigh around 134lbs. My goal weight is 120lbs.
I try to eat 1200 calories a day like my fitness pal suggested. I go to the gym 3/4 times a week for an hour.
I also try to walk at least 10 miles a week with my dog just for extra exercise.
I'm also currently doing the 30 day shred.
I was wondering if this is enough exercise to lose weight or if I need to increase it?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. You don't say what height you are, but I'm guessing you're close to or at a healthy weight. So any losses will be slow. But a good mix of strength training and cardio will help your body in the best shape it can be.
  • rhian_1994
    rhian_1994 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I have a BMI of 21.6 :)
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Couple of things.

Did you put your weight loss per week to 2 lbs? 1200 seems low. Suggestions often include this:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

and are you eating back some of your exercise calories? If you are not then you are eating below a net calorie of 1200, which is dangerous.

The exercises you are doing seem alright.
  • rhian_1994
    Options
    Yep, 1200 is the number my app gave me?
    Sometimes, it depends on how hungry I am. I'm not really a big eater in all honesty
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You are close to maintenance, I'd up the percentage of strength to cardio, more muscle will help your shape and up your metabolism a bit to help overall weight control. Patience.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Couple of things.

Did you put your weight loss per week to 2 lbs? 1200 seems low. Suggestions often include this:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

and are you eating back some of your exercise calories? If you are not then you are eating below a net calorie of 1200, which is dangerous.

The exercises you are doing seem alright.

^^ try to at least eat some of your exercise cals back
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6'' so I thought I could give you a hand. I strongly encourage you to experiment with shifting from cardio-intensive routines to more weight training. I eat around 1500 calories before taking exercise calories into consideration. Along that line, I found that cutting back on carbs, high-sodium foods and sugary items made a noticeable difference so every little bit counts! You're more than welcome to look at my photos to see the difference between primarily focusing on cardio (in grey shirt), after 3 weeks of strength training (in striped bikini) and after 6 weeks of strength training (current photo).

Be patient young grasshopper, you sexy pants are on their way :flowerforyou:
  • rhian_1994
    Options
    I'm also 5'6'' so I thought I could give you a hand. I strongly encourage you to experiment with shifting from cardio-intensive routines to more weight training. I eat around 1500 calories before taking exercise calories into consideration. Along that line, I found that cutting back on carbs, high-sodium foods and sugary items made a noticeable difference so every little bit counts! You're more than welcome to look at my photos to see the difference between primarily focusing on cardio (in grey shirt), after 3 weeks of strength training (in striped bikini) and after 6 weeks of strength training (current photo).

Be patient young grasshopper, you sexy pants are on their way :flowerforyou:

Honestly I've got no idea where to start with weight training! You look amazing by the way :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Easy beginners weight training- 2 sets of 20 pushups and squats every day.