Low impact cardio exercises?

Options
Hi I have been exercising on treadmills and stationary bikes for a few months and I'm losing weight but I'm still pretty heavy. I would like to find new exercises because my heart rate doesn't go up as much as it used to on the bike or when walking. If I do something more extreme like squat thrusts my joints really feel it and I've hurt myself in the past by overdoing it.

Can anyone recommend a good low impact workout that really makes you sweat but won't kill your knees?

Thanks

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    An Eliptical or a Cross Trainer.
    They are 100% low impact, and simulate /sort of/ uphill running with resistance. I've had countless knee surgeries on both my knees and suffer from a soft tissue disorder that makes it really hard to do anything open chain or with impact, and the Eliptical is amazing. You also burn more calories than walking on a treadmill or biking, in my opinion. It feels like more of a workout.
  • gemma1675
    gemma1675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Spinning. I work way harder in a spinning class than I do on the stationery bike on my own or out on the road.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Roller skating.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about swimming?
    Relieves all that stress and weight on the joints and if you really go for it it can be a fabulous heart-pumping and calorie-blasting workout.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If you're into videos, Fitness Blender has a few videos on Youtube specifically for people who want low impact. Here are a couple (I've done both, and they really get my heart rate up!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZj19AUU5I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6Uai5sQVw

Very good place to start!
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As far as low impact - elliptical or swimming are your 2 best options... But here's a thought. If you like biking, but just wish you could get more of a burn, try doing sprint intervals. For example

5 minute - warm up
    1 minute (10 second sprint:50 second recovery pace)
    1 minute (15 second sprint:45 second recovery pace)
    1 minute (20 second sprint:40 second recovery pace)
    1 minute (25 second sprint:35 second recovery pace)
    1 minute (30 second sprint:30 second recovery pace)
    3 minute recovery pace
    *repeat sequence of sprint intervals
    3 minute recovery pace
    *repeat sequence of sprint intervals
    5 minutes - cool down

This ends up being 26 minutes total...you will get a sweat on... And you can adapt the sprint intervals to your fitness level. This is just an example that I use with some athletes I work with who need a low impact cardio session.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I second the elliptical - it has the advantage of increasing resistance while still being low-impact, so you can run yourself to the ground on it. When my boyfriend was losing 100+ pounds, he'd select the interval program, go as hard as he could for the high resistance interval, and recover during the low resistance interval. Not too long after that he was running 5Ks.

Step aerobics classes and Zumba can also be modified to be low-impact, and they'll engage your upper body more - if classes sound like fun, see what your gym offers or if there's something in the area.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Treadmills wreak havoc on my knees. I've found that an elliptical however does not have the same issue. My dad let me borrow his old NordicTrack and I've been using that as well, but I find it tends to hurt my back so I plan to get back to using the elliptical for cardio when the building gives me a key that actually works to get back into the clubhouse :mad:

Swimming might also be a good one, but at least for me I think the elliptical works well.

I also second the interval programs/routine with the elliptical to gradually increase resistance. I typically do 5 minute cycles where each minute gradually increases resistance, the 5th one being pretty tough, and then on the 6th minute goes back down and then starts the cycle again. Usually for 20-30 minutes.
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been exercising on treadmills and stationary bikes for a few months and I'm losing weight but I'm still pretty heavy. I would like to find new exercises because my heart rate doesn't go up as much as it used to on the bike or when walking. If I do something more extreme like squat thrusts my joints really feel it and I've hurt myself in the past by overdoing it.

Can anyone recommend a good low impact workout that really makes you sweat but won't kill your knees?

Thanks

Hills are a great way to get your heart rate up without impact. If you have any hills in your area, go walk them. Or, incline on the treadmill and maybe try it with intervals. Walking flat and then on a hill, back and forth 2 min each.
  • oldmike1030
    oldmike1030 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am going to jump on the elliptical bandwagon. I have a bad lower back and cannot tolerate anything too jarring so for me an elliptical has done the trick.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to use my dads nordic track ski machine to. It was a great no impact workout. I found that my back only hurt if the padded bar that was on my tummy wasn't high enough.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I tend to get shin splints on exercises with running, jumping, IMPACT...

I used Tiffany Rothe's workouts on Youtube. She's easy to find. Her waist/booty workouts are fantastic, 10-11 minutes long (great for lower endurance like me), and live up to their claims.
  • pp8765
    pp8765 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I did the elliptical thing yesterday and swimming today. Tomorrow I'm trying a spinning class. I have to admit I had to Google it - I never heard of spinning before ha ha. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I used to use my dads nordic track ski machine to. It was a great no impact workout. I found that my back only hurt if the padded bar that was on my tummy wasn't high enough.

That's probably what my problem is then. Bad thing is that I think I've adjusted it as high as it will go lol.
  • pp8765
    pp8765 Posts: 11
    Options
    For anyone still reading, the spinning class was a great workout - exactly what I needed. Thanks again!
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Indoor rowing machine. Preferably Concept 2.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Indoor rowing machine. Preferably Concept 2.

Yes! The rowing machine is a great full-body workout.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    See my ticker? I lost all that weight doing Richard Simmons! He does low impact aerobics, love him!
  • Persistent20
    Persistent20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pool aerobics is low impact, the more of you in the water the lowest impact. Because you don't sweat as much it feels like you aren't working very hard, but monitor your pulse. You can also get a no-impace workout by using a jogging belt or a noodle so that you're feet don't touch the bottom. You'll have to improvise a bit to keep yourself moving.

I love my old nordic track. I figure you're less likely to hurt yourself if you divide the work among all 4 limbs instead of just two. One person reported some backache and I suggest chinging the height of the front pillow so you have a normal curve in your back.

Keep it up!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cannot recommend Aquafit or Aquazumba enough. They are super fun and you often get to make friends...:)