Potassium

Options
So I am usually way under on the potassium recommendations at the end of the day, which was beginning to concern me. But then I realized that almost all of the food items I have entered into the database have no potassium information as potassium is not included in all nutrient labeling in the United States. I believe most of the potassium I am counting is that coming from fresh fruits and veggies and some dairy but even some of those database entries do not include potassium information. Just checked and my mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving are listed as 0 potassium, when potatoes are a great source of potassium. Likewise the yellow split peas in last night's dinner.

I am a vegetarian so I am concerned about getting enough of certain micronutrients. But I really have no idea if I am getting enough potassium. I think I am probably okay as I don't feel any symptoms such as muscle weakness or fatigue. At least I am learning a bit more about potassium-rich foods. Never realized I'd get more potassium from cantaloupe than from a banana (which is great since I like cantaloupe more than bananas). Also glad to see beans are a good source of potassium as I eat a lot of those too.

2588447.png

Replies

• LoserCruiser
    Options
    I am on a potassium supliment because of low potassium! I do try to choose more foods with potassium but also find it hard and I am not a huge banana fan either, lol.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    3500 is difficult to obtain, however i too supplement and also I try to drink one 11.5 low sodium v8, 1180k. Doing this, I generally make it to at least 2500 a day. Sometimes on a day where i have eaten other potassium rich foods, bake potatoes, bananas etc., i make the goal. Good Luck!!
  • fatwood
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on nutrition labels; the Federal government doesn't require potassium to be labeled, even though they require sodium. Some food companies are nice enough to put it on their nutrition labels anyway, while others do not.

I can't remember the last time the Federal government changed the required information on nutrition labels, although I think they are do to make some changes. I personaly think they should require potassium on every nutrition label. Although, I'm no expert, I have no clue how you even measure potassium in food, maybe its expensive?
  • alex51026
    Options
    I was having the same problem so I bought a 500 mg supplement. Nature Made Potassium Glocomate (sp), it was about $3 for 100 pills. Adjusting foods can help too.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i drink coconut water
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on nutrition labels; the Federal government doesn't require potassium to be labeled, even though they require sodium. Some food companies are nice enough to put it on their nutrition labels anyway, while others do not.

I can't remember the last time the Federal government changed the required information on nutrition labels, although I think they are do to make some changes. I personaly think they should require potassium on every nutrition label. Although, I'm no expert, I have no clue how you even measure potassium in food, maybe its expensive?

Seems to me I read something like that becoming a requirement and now some are already adding to their DV% food label... I will try and find it to post.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I've tracked Potassium in my food diary for a while now. I go through and add Potassium in the foods I eat when I come across them. It is tedious, but a great way to make you eat more veggies. Veggies and fruits are really good sources of Potassium, so is egg.

This is the best Potassium reference I've found : http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html

It has good charts, easy to reference. There is quite a bit of information about Potassium and its absorbtion on that site, too.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this was a great help. Lately several people have been mentioning taking potassium supplements but since I'm not much of a pill-popper I wanted to research the levels in specific foods. The chart on the krispin site is perfect. My 86 year old mother will love it too, I sent her a copy. :smile:
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hummmm i was so concerned with calories and fat and carbs and my iron cuz of my amemia i didnt even think about that. i will check that out also jb. its all a balancing act......like a unicycle....juggeling plates, or eggs lol,
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this was a great help. Lately several people have been mentioning taking potassium supplements but since I'm not much of a pill-popper I wanted to research the levels in specific foods. The chart on the krispin site is perfect. My 86 year old mother will love it too, I sent her a copy. :smile:

Yes, glad you found it helpful. The multi vitamin/mineral supplement I take has about 25% of my required Potassium. I don't count on supplements to fulfill needs, they just don't absorb well.

Sadly, our food is probably not much better by the time it is shipped from Mexico, South America, Australia, or wherever. There is no way to fulfill all nutrient needs on restricted calorie food plans.

I really think a lot of our obesity problem comes from empty calories nutrition. If our bodies aren't getting the right stuff, I believe physiologically we may feel we need more food.

Just another part of the Rubik's Cube.

Yes I think you're absolutely right about the empty calories deal. Makes perfect sense. Thanks again and let's all go eat some beans and drink V8. :wink: Both of which I love! (now that I think about it, there's not much I don't love when it comes to food)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've tracked Potassium in my food diary for a while now. I go through and add Potassium in the foods I eat when I come across them. It is tedious, but a great way to make you eat more veggies. Veggies and fruits are really good sources of Potassium, so is egg.

This is the best Potassium reference I've found : http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html

It has good charts, easy to reference. There is quite a bit of information about Potassium and its absorbtion on that site, too.

Thank you for this chart.
  • cchambliss
    cchambliss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a transplant recipient and taking anti rejection Meds can cause your body to not be able to rid potassium and its CRUCIAL that we watch our potassium intake. Too much is just as bad as not enough. It can kill you quickly if not regulated and cause your heart to stop or your kidneys to shut down. I believe it should be changed on DV% labels and have to be put on it. I can't regulate if I don't know what I'm getting. I have already had one transplant and I'm not looking for another! Hope they change this SOON!
  • vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bananas try apricots. As I recall they are a better source of potassium than bananas. Also consider using Lite salt instead of regular salt. Lite salt is formulated to reduce the sodium but to maintain a "salty" taste or effect they added potassium chloride. This is also true for the low sodium tomato juice type drinks.

Looking at the label of my Morton Lite Salt Mixture--1/4 tsp has 290 mg of sodium; 350 mg of potassium. Other ingredients are calcium silicate, magnesium carbonate, dextrose and potassium iodide.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Go to a site like nutritiondata.self and get the information to make your own entries for all of your fruits and veggies. They list the potassium for everything there. Once you add it in you'll be surprised how much you're actually getting. I get over 2200mg every day just from the two veggie smoothies I drink during the day.