not eating regular meals

Options
I have always had a complicated relationship with food. I am a snacker and always have been. As a little kid I had "baby fat' whatever that means. The first person who gave me food issues was my mother. Age 11 I dropped a cookie on the ground and my mother said, " maybe it's a sign" It didn't take long for that one to sink in. I am notorious for skipping meals and snacking all day. As a result my weight has gone up and down pretty drastically since I was about 14 - I am now 25. When I had my son 3 years ago i weighed 234 and today I weighed in at 180. So it has taken me 3 years to take off this much weight and keep it off. But over the past year I have struggled with my weight going up and down and up and down. My problem is that I am a picky eater so I have a hard time finding alot of food I enjoy. I will eat a bowl of cereal for dinner and then snack on junk all night. when I have will power I will just eat the cereal and lose weight but usually I am only eating 800 ish calories a day which is not good I know that. I WANT to change this but It has been going on for so long I dont know how to stop it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• amysambora
    Options
    I know how you feel *hugs* I always think I'm doing a good thing by having a small meal like cereal or toast for dinner. But inevitably, it's not enough food and I'm still hungry, and end up snacking on the wrong types of food.

What really helped me was planning my meals. Every day I use my MFP diary to plan what I'm going to eat for the day, trying to keep it balanced and within my calorie allowance. I usually plan my meals a week in advance, then do one big grocery shop. I make sure I don't have bad foods in the house - if they're not there, you can't snack on them. Do try to include snacks in your day though - don't deprive yourself completely!

Hopefully this works for you :)
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am also a "snacker" or was. What I found helpful was writing down all the food that I liked to eat. and then slowly put small meals together. Also I found that if I eat healthy snacks then I fill up faster and dont get hungry as fast. Just try to think of different ways to cook different things and make meals. ps. cereal is probably one of the things I would try to kick. Milk has alot of nasty sat. fat in it. :)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Being a picky eater can be hard, I know. So what I like to do is make meals that I do like and make them healthy. Love chicken strips? bake them rather than fry them, you get it. I've found Hungry Girl is THE BEST at doing this. She has recipes for almost everything from buffalo chicken wings, to onion rings, orange chicken, meat loaf, etc. The ingredients may not appeal to you at first, infact, some of the things she uses may sound a little weird, but try it, what can it hurt? :) Good luck!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I plan out every meal, every day, and eat the same thing EVERY DAY, at the SAME TIME.

Ok, now I know it doens't sound like fun.. but it does take the stress out of trying to choose food. Plus having the routine really helps me stay focused. Nights when I stay out at the girlfriends, i'll even bring dinner, or breakfast and my vitamins with me. Just so I won't skip anything.
  • tiffylou80
    Options
    I had never heard of hungry girl. Thanks the info has helped, the website is great!