My fasting glucose results are in..

Options
..I've been pre-diabetic most of my life. The last time i had a physical (blood work) done was a few years ago so i decided to get checked out. I've been the heaviest ever! At 229lbs but now down to 213lbs, i knew for sure i must have raised some deficiencies and my cholesterol; especially being a 27 year old woman with PCOS. Nope! Everything was lower..even my glucose/HbA1C

I'm just curious though..bc i read that most women DO have insulin resistance/ pre diabetes when they have PCOS
Can you please help me confirm this testing is correct? LOL i honestly can't believe it...
the doctor was foreign and couldn't quite understand him.

Glucose Fasting- 4.8
HbA1C 0.050

So this means i'm not pre-diabetic or insulin resistance anymore?
He still advised me to continue using Metformin which i thought was strange if i wasn't

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    the metformin helps regulate the hormones, which is why you still need to be on it. without it you would likely become diabetic much sooner. it also will help you continue to lose weight. insulin is a hormone as well as all the other ones you typically think of like your estrogen etc, which is why they give it to diabetics. you;re just using it to control your lady hormones rather than your insulin levels.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ohh ok, that makes sense..bc i wasn't on Metformin before i took the test.
    I just don't know what diet to continue on now. I thought for sure i was insulin resistant so i started doing the Low GI/Insulin resistance diet last week With PCOS, do i still follow those diets even if i don't have insulin issues?
    I have all the symptoms of insulin resistance so i just find it mind boggling
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    just eat sensibly. even for a full on diabetic no food is off limits, just have to plan for it and make minor changes (such as not going 6 hours without eating etc) idk what the diet is you were doing, so i cant comment specifically on it, but i know when i was on a "diabetic" diet when i had gestational diabetes, i could eat everything, just had to stay within specific macros. (i think it was no more than 45 carbs in one meal, balance with protein, stuff like that) but that diet was worked out with a nutritionist at a diabetic program at the local hospital.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    ..I've been pre-diabetic most of my life. The last time i had a physical (blood work) done was a few years ago so i decided to get checked out. I've been the heaviest ever! At 229lbs but now down to 213lbs, i knew for sure i must have raised some deficiencies and my cholesterol; especially being a 27 year old woman with PCOS. Nope! Everything was lower..even my glucose/HbA1C

I'm just curious though..bc i read that most women DO have insulin resistance/ pre diabetes when they have PCOS
    Can you please help me confirm this testing is correct? LOL i honestly can't believe it...

Glucose Fasting- 4.8
    HbA1C 0.050

He still advised me to continue using Metformin which i thought was strange if i wasn't

Fasted Glucose is 4?!? You'd be dead
    HBA1C is below the normal/optimal range, curious as to why you weren't take off of the Metformin.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing weight. It's a big step! The tools here can definitely help.
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in 2011 but had not yet been put on any diabetes medications. I felt medication was the wrong path to go down. I told my doctor I would fix this without medication. I was determined not to end up like my mom, stabbing insulin into myself every day. Diabetes and high blood pressure are common killers in my family so I couldn't fiddle around any longer.
    I am now within 10 pounds of my goal weight, off my blood pressure pills, now take no medications whatsoever, and am no longer pre-diabetic (as well as no longer anemic, tired and rashy).
    While it is possible, through excellent nutrition and informed choices, to reverse Type II diabetes, I didn't want to wait until I was diagnosed with the inevitable.
    My lifestyle change has been so worth the effort. I'd forgotten what feeling good felt like.
    I highly recommend "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (and "Eat To Live" or "Eat For Health" and his cookbook as well).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Maybe double check with your doctor instead of strangers on a message board who likely don't have any relevant medical education or experience?
  • PunkyDucky
    Options

Glucose Fasting- 4.8
    HbA1C 0.050

HBA1C is below the normal/optimal range, curious as to why you weren't take off of the Metformin.

4.8mmol/L was my results and normal is between 3.6-6.0
    My HbA1C was 0.050 normal is <0.060

I live in Canada now, i'm from US; so I'm stuck going to walk-in clinics til i get my papers.
  • PunkyDucky
    Options
    Maybe double check with your doctor instead of strangers on a message board who likely don't have any relevant medical education or experience?

i don't have a doctor/physician.
    And the doctor that read my results was Indian speaking very poor english. Hard to get decent understandings in a walk-in clinic. :/
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Glucose Fasting- 4.8
    HbA1C 0.050

4.8mmol/L was my results and normal is between 3.6-6.0
    My HbA1C was 0.050 normal is <0.060

I live in Canada now, i'm from US; so I'm stuck going to walk-in clinics til i get my papers.

Ah, this is why then. I'm a nurse BTW, I'm not spewing **** out of my *kitten* just because.
  • PunkyDucky
    Options
    ...bump for more answers