My first week...

Options
This has been a good first week...I have learned alot about myself. I wish I had found this website sooner! Anyway, looking toward the future, do any of you out there have any tips for staying motivated? And starting to exercise? (I haven't exercised on purpose in a very long time!) I am looking forward to hearing what you all think! :smile:

Replies

• kewldude
    kewldude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Lizzy,
    Congratulations! You will want to introduce exercise in your routine, if not for anything else, just to be able to eat more. Walking is a popular one.

Down the line, you will want to include weight training or some sort of resistance training.

Have fun!
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :)

I know what you mean..trying to get motivated to exercise and than keeping it up can be tough! I keep a journal and write in it when I'm feeling really unmotivated. I've put inspiring messages, pictures, thoughts of my own in it to try to motivate me when i'm feeling low. I also try to think about how much better I would feel after a work out and in the long run :) I sometimes watch a motivational weight loss tv show...somehow seeing other ppl get up and do the work inspires me to wanna try harder :) Hope some of those might help :) Good luck with your weightloss and health :)
  • Rhammond8
    Options
    HELLO EVERYONE!! Looking forward to this new/interesting/exciting journey with all of you! Good luck on your goals, stay strong and true to yourself, best wishes! :)
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Get naked, and look in the mirror. Seems to be the best motivation for me.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Once you start exercising, you will wonder how you were able to live without it!
  • prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    exercise can be really addicting. start with something small and gradually build up to bigger things as you feel comfortable. soon, you'll find yourself craving exercise! i used to hate exercise, but now i love it :)
    it just takes a shift in thinking, and dedication.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    exercise can be really addicting. start with something small and gradually build up to bigger things as you feel comfortable. soon, you'll find yourself craving exercise! i used to hate exercise, but now i love it :)
    it just takes a shift in thinking, and dedication.

I agree with both above posts. Before I started to exercise I never thought I could, or if I did that I could stick with it. After my first round of P90X, I was amazed at how badly I wanted to exercise. And actually am now on my 3rd round. Plus once you see results, that is where the real motivation comes from.

How good can I get myself to look?
  • Rhammond8
    Options
    YES! I'm typically not a fan of workout videos as I feel a lot of them dont give me what I'm looking for in a workout (I'm the type that likes to get sweaty and feel exhausted afterwards, to feel accomplished). Most videos leave me slightly disappointed... I have a hard time grasping that taking it down a notch or two from the point of dripping sweat and being exhausted is actually better for weight loss than going all out. HOWEVER, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE P90X!! What an awesome workout series! I have done all of them, the standard original P90X and enjoyed it but for those of you who wish to take it up a notch and get a REAL workout in.. challenge yourself and go for the P90X INSANITY series. Its exactly what I look for in a workout, EHAUSTING and REWARDING!

YAYY FOR P90X!! :):) Just have to stick to it and keep a strong mind, focused on your goals!!
  • Jenn421
    Options
    thats what i thought when i founds this site last month. i didnt realize how little i eat and that i only eat **** when i eat. but also didn't realize that little things i can do count as exerice. wish i knew about this site a long time ago
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Even though health is serious, I treat my weight loss like a game. How many calories can I burn today? What else can I eat to keep my calories up? Today I ate a bigger dinner than I should have and was over my calorie limit. I took up the challenge, did some exercise, and burned them off.

If you stick to your calorie limit, you should lose weight regardless, but exercise helps. If you're not use to exercise, don't overdo it. Start out walking or going slowly on the exercise bike. Most of all, make sure you're exercise is fun, then you'll keep wanting to do it.

I've been here a little less than a month, and even the tiny dent I've made in my weight is motivation enough. My waist feels smaller, my jeans slide on more easily, my arms look a little more defined in the mirror, I feel I'm on the right track and am eager to stay on it. Plus, once I lose 10 pounds, I get to reward myself. :bigsmile:

Good luck with your goals, and feel free to friend me. I'm happy to cheer you on. :flowerforyou:
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tips for staying motivated: stay in touch with the community. Write messages on the forums when you have questions. Respond to others. Keep a blog as your journal. Record your successes, thoughts, and jot down notes on days when you feel 'off'. Invite users to be your friends. You will have a Twitter-like stream on your home page of all their updates and yours, and you and your friends can motivate each other to your heart's content. You can friend me if you like.
  • mcthomason
    Options
    Congratulations on a great week ! My only advice would be to start out small, and then build into the addiction that people are talking about.

I started out by changing my eating habits the two weeks, and got an occasional walk, or workout in. Then by the end of the 3rd week, I was wanting to see what adding daily exercise would do. Not only has it boosted my self confidence in a system that is working, but also made me feel better. I couldn't start out trying to conquer the world, as for me it was too much to think about at once. Now that eating and logging calories is second nature....I can focus on what form of exercise do I want today. Before you know it you will have a system down that works, with results.

Keep up the good work ! ! !
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Welcome! We're glad you're here!!!

For exercise motivation I've found that doing what I love (as opposed to 'exercising') requires no motivation. I love roller skating, riding my bike, going for long walks, taking dance classes, taking aerobics classes, ice skating, swimming...

If you're at a loss as to what activities you love, think back to when you were a kid. There was something you LOVED to do JUST BECAUSE it was fun. I remember as a kid I could NOT SLEEP the night before my parents opened our swimming pool for the season. I would jump in when it was half-full of ice cold hose water NOT because I was about to get a great workout, but because I LOVED SWIMMING!!!!

Charmagne
  • lizzy1106
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input, everyone! This is going to be great!!! :happy:
  • shaggy22
    Options
    I have been focusing mostly on logging my calories. Not up to a huge amount of exercise yet, but I have started to do the 100 Pushups program and it is pretty fun and quick!

http://hundredpushups.com