45 and tired of the Roller Coaster

Options
Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down.

This is the sum of my battle. When my weight is up, I am down, when my weight is down I am up. I am 45 years old and sick to death of this Roller Coaster ride that has plagued me for 35 years. Yes since I was in the 4th grade.

I have tried just about everything. Low cal, low fat, high protein, low carb, pills, support groups, Dr. ``supervised`` starvation diets and exercise.

I`m tired.

I am 45 years old with mild hypothyroid. I have been fighting this battle my entire life. I`ve lost weight in the past, but it never stays off for long. As soon as real life creeps in again, then the weight goes up.

I need to do this. I want it to be permanent. I`m sick of tricks, pills, programs and gimmicks. I`m looking for support and suggestions.

Replies

• omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is definately no magic pill or gimmick that is going to help you lose weight permanently. It's about living a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise, and eating healthy. It really isn't rocket science but that doesn't mean it's easy. It's not easy, especially when just starting out. I am finally to the point in my life where I exercise 6 days a week, not because I have to, but because I want to. It makes me feel good. I eat healthy about 80% of the time and I have a couple glasses of wine, go out to dinner, eat chocolate or whatever else I want, 20% of the time.
    It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Each day try and make good choices for you and your nutrition. You can do this!!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi i feel just the same as you i think will i every be happy im 49 soon dieting since the age of 11 always trying to strive for something better as if the numbers on the scales will make me happier (not) as i always want to lose more so you are not alone there are many nothers like us some will admit it some will not
    feel free to add me
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No diet, plan, system or gimmick is going to provide a permanent solution unless you can adopt and live with whatever it is. Otherwise, once the 10 days, 30 days or whatever is over, you are left with ... whatever mindset and habits got you in your fix in the first instance.

I am learning that for lifelong change, there is no substitute for eating healthy foods, drinking lots of water, and exercising regularly. There must be a regular, slight calorie deficit to lose weight consistently. What is difficult, however, is there is no quick fix. You can't drop 5 pounds in a week doing this, or 10 pounds in 20 days or whatever. What you can do, though is lose about 1 pound, more or less, per week toward your ultimate goal. Making a broader lifestyle change is slow, steady and permanent if you stick with it.

Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 & have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost slower than most MFPers, but I lost.

MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I want off this roller coaster, too!

I have hypothyroid as well and am finding the weight is coming off pretty slow this time around. Hoping slow and steady will mean an easier change to maintain.

good luck :)
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey maple leaf Fan!!! I'm 46--don't have thyroid issues and what not, but seem to be able to keep myself motivated to exercise and eat right (I indulge occasionally too!!!). Seems I've tried all kinds of fads along the way but finally found my "place" and am happy there. If I can help you find the right path and keep you on track I'm happy to stay in touch. Add me if you want
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if you are a TRUE CANADIAN, you will kick *kitten*, NOW
    I am 42 and doing it!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I will be 45 again for the 5th time this year and I feel your pain. This forum and my radical friends here have really helped. Sharing ups and downs with people and bouncing compliments and support off each other is the BOMB!!! It has enhanced my accountability and encouraged me to keep pushing. LOVE LOVE LOVE MY MFP PEOPLE!!!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if you are a TRUE CANADIAN, you will kick *kitten*, NOW
    I am 42 and doing it!

Another Leaf fan??? What are the chances (gentle mocking from a Flames "backer"--fan is too strong a word)
  • Neeters1969
    Neeters1969 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you responses. It's good to have support.

Yes, I am a Leaf fan. Love Hockey.. It's the only saving grace in an otherwise long cold and dark time. (also known as winter. :grumble: