eating back burnt calories

Options
Does anyone do this? I feel reluctant to eat up to the allowance set by my exercise as it feels im just eating what I've worked hard to remove.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Have you read the stickies on how this tool works? You do understand your deficit is built into your calorie goal before exercise right?

Read the stickies like you're supposed to when you sign up...they actually explain how to use this tool and what not...kinda like instructions and stuff...
  • findingfitness101
    Options
    I signed up and read them back in Aug, yet still dont understand :')
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up to lose weight without any exercises. If you workout, the theory is that you eat those back to still lose weight.

But it's a theory. Feel free to experiement and see what works for you.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think the philosophy is MFP will give you a net calorie goal that will help you lose weight steadily over a period of time in a healthy way. The exercise isn't meant for the weight loss, it's meant to stay healthy and fit while you are losing the weight.by hitting your net calorie goal each day.
  • lvmamaduke
    lvmamaduke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will eat back half or 200 of my exercise calories if I am still hungry at the end of the day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do this? I feel reluctant to eat up to the allowance set by my exercise as it feels im just eating what I've worked hard to remove.

Assuming that you've set up a loss target then you should reach that without exercise consumption as well. Exercise delivers additional benefits that optimise the results; cardiovascular health and retention of lean mass. You should consume back at least a significant portion of what you've burned, accepting some error due to compounding approximations.

Not eating back, therefore potentially reducing your calorie intake too far, can have a number of detrimental effects on your wider health.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it different. I for one SELDOM eat ALL my exercise calories back. I DO always eat SOME of them. MFP does give you a deficit automatically but for some that isn't enough. You will need to figure out how much of the exercise calories to eat back with trial and error. Between your diet and your exercise if done properly you will lose the weight that you want to lose in a healthy manor. Good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Here's the math...I'll use my numbers.

You require a certain number of calories per day to maintain your weight...for me, that number is roughly 2350 WITHOUT any deliberate exercise...that number just includes my basal calories (those calories that my body burns to keep me alive) and my day to day living. Exercise is NOT included in that activity level. So I tell MFP I want to lose 1 Lb per week...so MFP gives me a goal that is 500 calories less than those 2350...so 1,850 calories WITHOUT exercise and I lose 1 Lb per week....I have a 500 calorie deficit.

Now I decide exercise is really good for me so I start working out...let's say I burn around 400 calories per day. When I log that MFP gives me those calories to eat back so my goal is now 2,250 calories but I still have a 500 calorie deficit because now my maintenance number has moved up by those 400 calories as well...so my new maintenance would be 2,750 and 2,750 - 2,250 = 500 calorie deficit still.

You just have to make sure you're not overestimating burn which is pretty common...you just don't burn as much as you think you do with exercise.

Following this formula, you are using your diet for weight control and exercising for fitness.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What exactly don't you understand? Maybe writing down the calorie amounts would clear it up...

Assuming you have chosen to lose 1lb a week you will have a 500 calorie daily deficit without any exercise.
    If you burn an extra 500 calories through exercise you are now on a 1000 calorie deficit - too much for someone who already looks slim.

And to answer your original question loads of people use this site as intended and eat back their exercise calories.
    The smartest thing is to stick to a plan, log everything as accurately as you can and amend your calorie allowance based on actual results.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat anything that is burnt.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat anything that is burnt.

Try the burnt ends at Jack Stack's. :happy:
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i try to underestimate the amount of calories burnt when working out. If I am still hungry in the later part of the day I will look at how many calories are in my range without going over the goal amount. Eat back your calories only if you are trying to maintain your weight or need to gain.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i try to underestimate the amount of calories burnt when working out. If I am still hungry in the later part of the day I will look at how many calories are in my range without going over the goal amount. Eat back your calories only if you are trying to maintain your weight or need to gain.

Do you think the MFP estimate of calorie burn is approximately accurate? For example it shows 60 minutes of cardio/weights is a 320 burn for me. That's what I log. There were a couple references in this thread that makes me think it might not be.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Do you think the MFP estimate of calorie burn is approximately accurate? For example it shows 60 minutes of cardio/weights is a 320 burn for me. That's what I log. There were a couple references in this thread that makes me think it might not be.

There are quite a few variables and since MFP is dependent on the baseline information that you inject, and have to keep up to date, it's very much an approximation.

For CV work a Heart Rate Monitor will give you probably the closest approximation of actual burn, although even that's an approximation based on baseline and measured exertion. For resistance work, you're best to work it out for yourself, you can't measure actual exertion.

Personally for CV work I use an HRM as well as both Runkeeper and Endomondo on my phone, MFP is probably the highest assessment of burn, Endomondo is probably least aggressive. The HRM generally sits somewhere in the middle.
  • muchazondidam
    Options
    A HRM and watch will accurately measure your calories
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

The level of accuracy does depend on the type of session one is doing, and how well it's set up.
  • nicolabarratt267
    Options
    I struggle to eat my burnt calories - I'm not hungry and just don't feel like eating. I don't want to force food down me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

HRMs do not measure calorie burn.

They measure heart rate, and then guess at calorie burn.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That's not how this particular app is set up. It already includes a deficit based on how much you tell it you want to lose per week. The more you guess at the numbers you enter, the less accurate this application is, and the less likely it is to be able to give you sustainable results.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I try to eat some back. I'm set to 1200. I burned 507 today. So if I didn't eat them, or some, I would be at a net of 700 for the day and that is not enough at all.