Question for the lifters

Options
To those who have had success lifting, do you train your biceps ans triceps separately on different days? I've always just done my arms in one session, but as I look at some sample lifting plans, many separate bis and Tris to different days. This is how I split my muscle groups

Tues Legs
Wed Arms and shoulders
Fri Back chest and abs

Is there a benefit to separating my arms into different days?

Replies

• Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    Personally I just do compound lifts squats, bench, push press, deadlifts, cleans 3-4 x per week. Hits all areas - jobs a good un
  • kevinmacsr
    kevinmacsr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I separate bi's and tri's. If you do them on separate days you can concentrate on them and really feel the burn.! Good luck!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you want to split them up in a way that makes more sense you can change your upper body days to "push" and "pull" days - "push" will be chest/shoulders/tris and "pull" is back and bis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do full body compound lifting with some pulls ups and dips for assistance work...I don't really bother with curls and what not. My biceps get hit with rows and pull-ups/chin-ups and my triceps get hit with the bench press, dips, and OH press. If I was body building it would be a different matter...but I'm not so I don't really see the point in curls and triceps extensions.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    To those who have had success lifting, do you train your biceps ans triceps separately on different days? I've always just done my arms in one session, but as I look at some sample lifting plans, many separate bis and Tris to different days. This is how I split my muscle groups

Tues Legs
    Wed Arms and shoulders
    Fri Back chest and abs

Is there a benefit to separating my arms into different days?

I do push pull days it is far simpler, start with the bigger muscles ie back and chest which work the triceps and biceps anyhow
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I do them both on the same day.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do full body circuits as I was told most effective for fat loss. I do this three times a week and cardio workouts on three days a week
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't do them on the same day since they are complimentary muscle groups which can be supersetted
    I regularly do upper/lower body splits lifting 4x per week
    Doing push and pull movements on the same day are a good way to superset (one pull exercise with one push exercise) since you can do more volume in a shorter amount of time
  • TheBaconMan
    Options
    I'd recommend getting on a beginner program such as ICF5x5 (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout)

If you want to do a split, the typical split is Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, Legs. The reason for that is because a lot of chest movements like the bench work tris too, and a lot of back movements like the BB Row work bis. Doing Bis/Tris together (or just an arm day) is pointless. Remember, beginners benefit from frequency over volume. Working a muscle 2-3 times a week is better than killing a body part once a week.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    yup

triceps/shoulders/chest

back/biceps

legs

legs/glutes
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't do them on the same day since they are complimentary muscle groups which can be supersetted
    I regularly do upper/lower body splits lifting 4x per week
    Doing push and pull movements on the same day are a good way to superset (one pull exercise with one push exercise) since you can do more volume in a shorter amount of time

The only problem i have with this and i have tried it is that for me general fatigue plays a part, for instance if i do bench press followed by lat pulldown, my lat pulldown is always affected, working different muscle groups doesn't mean that each group can be worked just as hard, not for me anyhow, if i superset everything apart from the first exercise everything else gets affected
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do full body compound lifting with some pulls ups and dips for assistance work...I don't really bother with curls and what not. My biceps get hit with rows and pull-ups/chin-ups and my triceps get hit with the bench press, dips, and OH press. If I was body building it would be a different matter...but I'm not so I don't really see the point in curls and triceps extensions.

Pretty much this, except I don't do dips that often.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    over the long term it won't matter too much. some times I do "arms" and other days i'll train biceps after doing back and triceps after doing chest or shoulders. i wouldn't over think it as training arms isn't a big deal, in the greater scheme of things
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I train them on different days. Tri with chest and bi on a day where I do a lot of back movements.