Need average motivation

Options
Hello,
I am an average person with 12 years weight struggle experience. I read and tried all possible diets out there. Nothing worked for me. Until I chose the healthy diet (just eat real food, lots of veggies…) and I lost weight. Yay! Right then I moved across the country, and the move changed too much in my life that I gained 10 pounds, then another 10… it needs to stop here. :angry:
I read all these success stories, they all have something in common: the person reached rock bottom before she got the motivation or help needed.
I tried to self-motivate myself. For 6 months the pattern looked like 5 days healthy, then for 3 -5 days I eat my weight worth of food.
Self-motivation is out, (clearly I am useless to motivate myself) so I went with the “help” option.
According to my "robot" like doctor, I am overweighed (yes doc, I know, I looked at my BMI online). According to her, I am also NOT depressed, not obese, and my knee has NO problem. Great! right? well no, let me explain.
I have average problems, and therefore all professional help is out of pocket.
Nutritionist are not covered by health insurance (the one I can afford) unless you are obese-
therapists are not covered unless you have severe depression or eating disorder, Physiotherapists are not covered unless I bust my knee!
And the list goes on and on…

I don’t want to hit rock bottom to get help, I want it now. I am so scared of what the bottom would look like :frown:

If any of you have a word of wisdom for an average person with average issues needing serious motivation, please share?

Replies

• mwa2801
    Options
    I have the same issue with motivation. But when you get up to go exercise and are in pain from doing so, realize no pain no gain. You will look so much better, you'll feel great and be able to live healthy. Time and pressure moves mountains.
  • mehitabel83
    mehitabel83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat heading into month three of weightloss (which was last week lol). Log all your food even when eating like someone who wants to die young. Spend a bit more time making a really delicious healthy meal with some volume-I can recommend dry-seared bay scallops with sauteed spinach/capers and a light lemon beurre blanc. Directly correlate your exercise calories with more food (which is why I can't do tdee...assumes the hard work has been done and rewards in advance..nooo that doesn't work lol) and eat a good for your body good for your state of happy snack that s in line with a realistic 75% of the calories you burned. Keep anumbered list of all the things you notice have improved in any area of your life. My list has 127 items on it, and when I reread it a few days ago it was perfect. We often don't see how good we are being to ourselves when we are healthy (forest) because we only focus on how horribly out of shape/fat/tired/ashamed/long it will take (stumps). Often a good sweaty workout will reset things. Tood luck--no, I don't mean that. Luck has very little to do with it. Persistence and self-awareness...yes good persistenc and slf-aareness!
  • notwithoutsalt
    notwithoutsalt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat heading into month three of weightloss (which was last week lol). Log all your food even when eating like someone who wants to die young. Spend a bit more time making a really delicious healthy meal with some volume-I can recommend dry-seared bay scallops with sauteed spinach/capers and a light lemon beurre blanc. Directly correlate your exercise calories with more food (which is why I can't do tdee...assumes the hard work has been done and rewards in advance..nooo that doesn't work lol) and eat a good for your body good for your state of happy snack that s in line with a realistic 75% of the calories you burned. Keep anumbered list of all the things you notice have improved in any area of your life. My list has 127 items on it, and when I reread it a few days ago it was perfect. We often don't see how good we are being to ourselves when we are healthy (forest) because we only focus on how horribly out of shape/fat/tired/ashamed/long it will take (stumps). Often a good sweaty workout will reset things. Tood luck--no, I don't mean that. Luck has very little to do with it. Persistence and self-awareness...yes good persistenc and slf-aareness!

Thanks , i love your idea of list of improvement... I will keep one. Have you tried exercise with someone? Does it work ??
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi there - some background on me for some context... I'm 40, married, 2 kids... work FT & have been actively pursuing fitness & good health since Jan 2013. I was on a pretty decent weight loss path Jan-Sept last year and then needed surgery early Nov & had to work on maintaining for a couple months while I recovered. I haven't had a loss since early Dec. I tell you this because not everyone has an easy time losing weight or staying motivated. I have successfully lost a lot of weight twice in past years but kept gaining it back (because I lost it for the wrong reasons). It took my doctor telling me that my blood pressure was borderline and if it didn't come down, they'd have to consider medicating or some other type of intervention. That was my motivation. You need to find yours...whatever that is. Do not beat yourself up if you can't get motivated. For years I knew I needed to take better care of myself but I wasn't mentally prepared to take it on. It's great to recognize you need support and reach out....but if you allow yourself the time to get into that mental place of working on your health, results are likely to be better. I only say this because it worked for me.

I really liked the other idea of making a list of all the things that improve when you're taking good care of yourself. Find out what works for you: TDEE or working with/eating back a portion of your exercise calories. I did the latter for several months & now I'm trying the TDEE method. This truly is a trial & error thing... also, take measurements so that if the scale doesn't move, you can continue measuring & identifying inches lost. That makes a huge difference. The scale isn't always your best indicator :) I also agree with logging every day. Every. Day. Everything. Make friends on MFP (feel free to friend me) - and keep the ones who remain active/supportive. If you're willing, share your diary. Allowing others to see it may help keep you accountable.

As for workouts, I have worked out with someone else in years past but I no longer have a workout buddy due to changing times, availability and circumstances. It worked great at the time, but I don't have a buddy for that now. If you do have this, I think you'll find it very effective!

You can do this. Just proceed when you know you're READY! Best wishes to you!