Overeating protein

Options
Can overeating protein make you gain fat? I am trying to lose fat and I took the advice of a body building friend of mine who said to eat 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight. That means I would be eating about 150 g of protein per day. He says the body can't turn protein into fat so any excess just gets passed out.

Is this true? I've been over eating protein for some time and I feel like I have redone most of the damage that I lost over the past year.

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the person. Give it a go and let the mirror be your guide.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    double post, sorry
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Going over your calories makes you gain weight. It doesn't matter if those calories come from carbs, protein or fat.

But overeating protein can damage our kidneys in the long run.
  • Stavro12345
    Options
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    High protein diets will not damage your kidneys over time. I have blood work done every 6 months and my kidneys are always good to go. Here it is dude:
    Go to the gym and really work your *kitten* off
    Eat foods with only 1 ingredient in them
    If you slip, do not beat yourself up over it.
    EVERYONE is different, meaning different foods effect people differently.
    do not just rely on the information you get from here, and do not believe everything that you read.
    Let the mirror be your guide and the Iron be your salvation.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes excess protein can lead to weight gain "fat" as it is fuel just like any nutrient. However 25 to 30 % of its energy is used in breaking it down so weight gain from protein is less of an issue in a per calorie intake over Carbs and fats. A high protein diet will likely mean a characteristic odour at the urinal but this is normal. Effect on kidneys is inconclusive but likely you would have to be consuming ridiculous disproportionate amounts and I think you would be more worried about the weight gain from excessive consumption before this. I like OverDolt comments on whole foods, If you gain most of what you need from nature l sources you will have all the fiber, vits etc.... And only suppliment as needed / desired.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

But overeating protein can damage our kidneys in the long run.
    no, it does not.
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    Can overeating protein make you gain fat? I am trying to lose fat and I took the advice of a body building friend of mine who said to eat 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight. That means I would be eating about 150 g of protein per day. He says the body can't turn protein into fat so any excess just gets passed out.

Is this true? I've been over eating protein for some time and I feel like I have redone most of the damage that I lost over the past year.

I thought this was of your LEAN body mass not all of it! i.e. if I was 150lbs with 50% body fat I would have 1 - 1.5g Protein x 75lbs
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your body will store anything in excess or that it cannot use as fat.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your body will turn ALL extra calories into fat. Too much protein can damage kidneys to those predisposed to the condition ie... those with already weak or damaged kidneys. People with gout will also have an adverse reaction to too much protein. Recent studies however show that the reaction is less if you eat naturally occurring protein from plants and animals instead of supplements and shakes.
  • Stavro12345
    Options
    Yes it was! I had that part confused :)
  • Stavro12345
    Options