How do you stay on track?

Options
I'll do well for a couple of weeks and then I'll totally fall off track. The days carelessly go by and before I know a whole week has passed, or dare I say weeks! This has happened to me for as long as I can remember, and because of this I never see big results because it's like two steps forward and one step back. Any idea's how I can stop myself from doing this!!!

Replies

• tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I log everyday and don't let myself take a day off as I know it will become a week, a month, etc and the weight will start piling on.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Logging my food has become a part of my life over the past three months, and I have a regular gym/yoga schedule. I know it can be slow but now my clothes are getting looser, I feel stronger and I have more control over my eating than ever before. I can't really tell you what works for YOU but you have to be motivated and committed...that can only come from inside you.
  • jmedx45
    Options
    I was the same way a few years ago when i tried starting a healthy life style, i always fell off track.. Last November i decided i was sick of gaining weight (i literally could not stop). What helped for me was logging everyday in the morning or the night before. I plan my meals for the whole day and i log them before i even eat breakfast! i know this is hard but its kind of like a menu that i carry around in my pocket so i always know whats next for me to eat. I also pack all of my meals when i work. Also, what got me committed to the gym was signing up for a whole year. Trust me you will want to go knowing you are paying no matter what. But i suck at going to the gym on my own so i only go to fitness classes everyday. You see the same people and they hold you accountable! With those helpful hints and not weighing yourself too often, before you know it, the weight will be falling off.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Starting out and creating new habits is really the hardest part. Sticking with it is a test of mental endurance more than anything else.

It really depends on your mindset, and different approaches work for different people. But in my case, I've stuck with it this long because I haven't made any giant changes. I eat at a moderate calorie deficit rather than a large one, I haven't eliminated or restricted any foods, and I only do exercises that I enjoy doing. Because my plan hasn't been very unpleasant, I haven't felt the desire to quit.

But I understand that weighing/measuring food and logging everything daily can be a hard habit to get into. There's really no way around that, except to say that it gets easier and faster the more you do it. If your schedule is busy and logging food as you go is too inconvenient, it may help to plan your days ahead of time when you have a spare moment (maybe the previous night before bed or first thing in the morning) or make large meals that you can portion out and eat on throughout the week. It may also help to create a solid schedule. Your plan may be easier to stick to if you carve out specific days and times to exercise or plan meals rather than waiting until you have free time. Having a workout schedule has helped keep me on track. If I've already made time in my day to go to the gym, I have no reason not to go.

My biggest piece of advice is just to make gradual, small changes that you can build on as calorie intake, exercise, and nutrition become more natural to you. Once you start seeing bigger results, it may help motivate you to keep going. :smile:
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Planning meals ahead of time does a GREAT difference for me.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better when I pre-log the night before -- or when I first wake up in the morning. That way I can plan healthy, tasty meals and factor in my treat(s) throughout the day. If I try to log as I go, I'm more apt to go for what just tastes good and may not help me meet my goals.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    First off, two steps forward and one step back will still bring you progress, so good job so far! This is a process of learning after all... It may help you to analyze what is happening that allows you to stray from your goals.

If you are always hungry, you may need to eat more, eat more often or eat different foods. That will take time, getting to know yourself and reading a lot about food to figure out. Constant hunger will wear you down and you will most likely give in to cravings at some point.

This will not answer all of those questions, but it may help a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

If this is a time issue or an issue meeting your macros, perhaps preparing meals in advance will help. I make about 3 days worth of food at a time. I have a cooler with food and a container of cold water that I take almost everywhere. This helps to avoid the "McDonald's because I'm starving" issues.

If there is a habit issue, like you are used to eating ice cream every night before bed... Either replace the habit with other foods or work this habit into your food planning. Contrary to popular belief, Ice cream will not kill you. Too much of anything can be a problem though...

Hope this helps!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    For me, I am in such a habit of logging that I can't imagine not doing it. At this point I would be afraid not to. And afraid to not exercise. I do not ever want to go back to my old ways of eating and being sedentary. I worried so much about my health, about the example I was setting for my children, and about my relationship to God. I just never felt right about it.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll do well for a couple of weeks and then I'll totally fall off track. The days carelessly go by and before I know a whole week has passed, or dare I say weeks! This has happened to me for as long as I can remember, and because of this I never see big results because it's like two steps forward and one step back. Any idea's how I can stop myself from doing this!!!

I totally relate to this problem. Historically I have been able to stay on track long enough to lose around 30 lbs, then I just give up and go back to the bad habits that piled on the weight. Every time I start over again I want to believe I will stay committed. This time I am striving to be gentle on myself rather than "all or nothing" in which "all" is eating perfection and "nothing" is pigging out all day. I hope it works.
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I think I am going to take the advice to log in the night before and have my meals planned, I think that will really help. And also find some more exercises that I like. I can't wait for the nicer weather so that I can get outside and exercise!!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

its preplanning that basicly starts in the grocery store. I make sure I buy foods that give me good healthier choices for meals and snacks. I always write in my journal and log into mfp on a daily basis. I watch food and health documentaries on youtube and Netflix while I clean or do other stuff on the net like facebook. I have joined accountability groups on facebook and youtube and log into those quite often. I get on my scale a lot so I always know whre I am at for the day. I try new recipes or food ideas that are filling yet lower in calories. And when all else fails I look at my starting weight pics. I say to my self a lot "just for today" and love Nike's quote "just do it"