New Fitbit Flex

Options
Hi everyone!

I just ordered my Fitbit Flex today, and I'm pretty pumped to get it! I even paid for extra-fast delivery haha.

I was wondering how those of you that have it, use it? Do you add other friends to 'challenge' with steps? Do you track your sleeping? (My sleeping is one of the things I really want to know more about - I've been trying different phone apps but I'm just not convinced yet!).

What is your goal daily steps?

Replies

• CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have no experience but I have a friend who had a fitbit and loved it ... but now wants to upgrade to the new fitbit flex ...
    So I just ordered one and it hasn't arrived yet but didn't pay extra for fast delivery (good thing cause they are out of stock)

How do you like yours? Any tips or quirks?

ThanX

CC
    My Blog: Weight for Me!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CC_Maam
  • doubleclick_darling
    Options
    I recently bought a FitBit One and I am loving it. At this point, I'm using it linked up to MFP, counting my steps, my distance covered through the day, floors, and sleep.

Before I had a FitBit, I had used Sleep Bot on my android phone. I had to quit using it though because I was tossing and turning a lot and would knock my phone off the bed, and if I didn't turn the screen off, it would get really hot and I was concerned about it.

Right now, my daily goal is 10,000 steps. Though today was low since I'm really sore from yesterday.
  • ness12346
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks! Hoping to see mine arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, latest!
  • CC_Maam
    Options
    Well, I just received notice that I will not be getting my Fitbit Force. They have decided to do some more work on it and will be offering full price refunds for those who have it .... and or in my case 20% off any other Fitbit product. However, I really wanted the Force ... and my friend has the Flex and wanted to upgrade because it didn't do everything she wanted as the Force did, :( All I can say is I'm so disappointed!!!
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well, I just received notice that I will not be getting my Fitbit Force. They have decided to do some more work on it and will be offering full price refunds for those who have it .... and or in my case 20% off any other Fitbit product. However, I really wanted the Force ... and my friend has the Flex and wanted to upgrade because it didn't do everything she wanted as the Force did, :( All I can say is I'm so disappointed!!!

What is wrong with them? I have one and I love it? Investigating...:huh:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

The fact that they are working on it hopefully means they are resolving the issue that people are getting rashes from it. Might be worth the wait if you have that option
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That stinks that they have to stop selling them because 1.3% of the population is allergic! I will not be turning mine in for a refund. You could try the flex in the meantime. :flowerforyou:
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Flex today - it's charging right now. I really wanted the Force. I'd been researching and going back and forth and made up my mind to buy the Force exactly 5 hours before they announced the recall. Since there is no word on when the redesign will be out and because of my goals, I decided to just go ahead and buy the Flex for now.

At least I have the option to change bands (and colors), right?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I read in the forums that they are recalling the Force for some reason.
  • CC_Maam
    Options
    Here is the post from Fitbit's CEO http://www.fitbit.com/forcesupport

With 1% of the buyers having some issue with contact dermatitis from either nickle in the contact or from the band, :( I'd be happy to have it either way . . . alas I'll have to find a different product,

I'm checking into other product/mfg companies for something similar.

CC
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex. Just got it a few weeks ago and I actually love it.
    Didnt think I would.
    I use it all day every day, even on the ellpitical.
    Only time it comes off is before showering because even though its waterproof .. just, why not.
    I use all the features and usually hit 10,000 steps a day.
    I do get quite competitive with my friends as passing them motivates me!

Feel free to add me when youre all set up http://www.fitbit.com/user/2D4PY6
  • CC_Maam
    Options
    I had put my order in the end of January and was told it would ship in 2 weeks. Two weeks went by and receive another letter that it was on hold ... then I got the letter today that they would not be filling the order with apologies and offered 20% off on other product. STILL sad, :(
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

I love my Flex. If I get home & see I'm thisclose to goal, I'll walk around the block. Every little bit helps.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    *LOVELOVELOVE* my Fitbit Flex!!! A million thanks to the sweet person that gifted it to me. :smile:

I left it at the default step goal of 10,000 steps. If you're relatively healthy and don't have major physical limitations keeping you from doing exercise, that's a great goal. For most people it should translate to moving roughly 5 miles per day. And what is good about picking 5 miles per day from a fitness standpoint is that for most people, you will not be able to "accidentally" move 5 miles in a day. It will require you to (either or both) find extra ways to get extra steps into your day or do some deliberate exercise above and beyond your normal, routine movement in a day which is the entire freaking point of getting this device! :bigsmile: I work a desk job all day so to get extra steps, I take the completely wrong and long way to get to the mailroom, bathroom, meetings, breakroom (to refill my water bottle of course!), and to & from my truck. I also added an afternoon walk around my office building every day (4 laps=a little over 1 mile). I wear it when I go to the gym to run or walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical. It only captures about 60% of my pedal rotations on the stationary bike for some reason...I stick the Flex in my sock...so maybe it's only capturing the movement of that one foot. Not sure. On nights I don't get to the gym, but I haven't hit my 10000 steps yet? It has motivated me to go for walks to hit my goal! Sometimes outdoors, sometimes I just do laps of the hallway in my apartment building. :smile:

The best part about the Flex is that as a bracelet, you never have to take it off (except to charge it) so you'll rarely ever forget to wear it....unlike all the people I know with clip-on type Fitbits. They're always forgetting to move it from one pair of pants to the next, or running it through the washer, etc.

I would also recommend not linking it to MFP right away. Use it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes and learn how everything works with setting it up and registering it, syncing it, logging stuff and what not. (There's very little logging you'll need to do too, btw. I logged water and that's about it. Don't log activities! It messes with the step count and invalidates some miles used to calculate badges. Grrrr. The Food logging is horrendous though. I really gave it a try, but it doesn't hold a candle to MFP.) Then after you have a good handle on how it all works, then* you can link your Fitbit account with MFP. What will change then is that you will only log food, water, and exercise sessions on MFP and not with the Fitbit app or website or else it will whack out your totals for the day.

I like the sleep logging. It tells me how long to get to sleep and how restless I was throughout the night. Interesting information. Not much I can do* with it, but it's still interesting. LOL I like the graphs and stats about how many hours of sleep I get (or more importantly in my case, how many hours I don't* get because I'm a chronic nightowl....but it has helped me reign that in a little.)

The battery seems to last a good 6-7 days between charges. I like the silent alarm feature (but it will use battery quicker the more of them you set). I wish* it displayed the time since I replaced my watch with the Flex and I'm forever looking at it to see what time it is! D'oh! :blushing: While I really* did want the Force for the time display, I did not* like how much bulkier it was and that it was not quite as waterproof. I can shower, swim and hot-tub in my Flex, but they recommend against that with the Force.

You might find the Fitbit groups engaging and motivating...but then again, maybe not. More helpful is adding a few people you know and like as 'Friends' and playfully competing amongst those few close friends for daily/weekly/monthly step totals and averages. Plus you have the abltity to send tham super-quick short 'messages' or a smiles or a taunts. :smile:

Oh, and I have never even ONCE had my Flex "fall off" of my wrist accidentally. Once you learn how to fasten it, you'll know* when you've done it correctly. Take a couple of minutes of practice.

Trying to think if I've missed anything else you asked about or that I want to share.....

Congrats and I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!!!! :drinker::drinker::drinker:

Dave
  • CC_Maam
    Options
    I wanted one for about 4 months, finally got around to ordering it a month ago ... I'm not sure I want to wait till they resolve the issue.

Probably will look for another option . . . :(
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    I wanted one for about 4 months, finally got around to ordering it a month ago ... I'm not sure I want to wait till they resolve the issue.

Probably will look for another option . . . :(
    That really does stink and I'm sorry that happened to you. I don't know what your goals are or what you're looking for out of a device, but I think there's a really good chance you would be really happy with the Flex if you went that route.... :smile:

Dave
  • I_love_to_ride
    Options
    i have a Fibit flex and I love it. It really keeps me motivated.My Fitbit user is http://www.fitbit.com/user/2D8FNK
  • Texasnewfiegirl
    Texasnewfiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been debating on which Fitbit to get, so I am going to follow this post so i get the most information and reviews :)
  • toni429
    toni429 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I just purchased my force 2 weeks ago and didn't know a recall was going on. I have no rash from wearing it all day a night and love it! I finally hooked it up with my fitness pal & it syncs my food but my fit bit does seem to log my gym classes properly so I manually it it in. Does anyone know if I should return it or why the recall is it because of rash only or more?
    Thanks add me if you like-)