CARBS. What's myth & what's truth?!

Options
I'm curious. I hear a lot that you shouldn't eat carbs after 4pm. Well, I'm normal and eat dinner after 6, so what if I want rice with my chicken? Is it going to through me way off for the week just because I eat half a cup of rice at dinner time? I literally don't know what to believe when it comes to carbs !!

I want to pull my hair out !

Help?

Replies

• jcolier
    Options
    Eating rice at night, or anything for that matter, won't necessarily mess you up. Timing of eating, I believe, has been proven to not have any effect (unless its a bunch of sugar that will keep you awake). I try not to eat late because I get acid reflux if I lay down on a full stomach.

That being said, carbs turn to glucose (sugar) when digested, which is not good. I stick with low carbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot that you shouldn't eat carbs after 4pm.

From who?

It's nonsense.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It'll be before 4pm SOMEWHERE in the world.

Enjoy your rice. :wink:
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It will not mess it up. However, it depends on how soon you go to sleep after eating. Your body digests food when you eat it. However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat). This is because when you sleep, your body is focusing on many processes, such as making sure you're breathing and many other activities happening in your brain at night (it's very active!). Therefore, digestion gets put to the side. If you're going to have carbs in the evening or night, ensure enough time before sleeping (at least an hour or two plus).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat).

That, too, is nonsense.
    Therefore, digestion gets put to the side.

If the body can't digest something, it by definition can't turn that something into fat, because digestion is the first (and necessary) step in metabolizing food.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It will not mess it up. However, it depends on how soon you go to sleep after eating. Your body digests food when you eat it. However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat). This is because when you sleep, your body is focusing on many processes, such as making sure you're breathing and many other activities happening in your brain at night (it's very active!). Therefore, digestion gets put to the side. If you're going to have carbs in the evening or night, ensure enough time before sleeping (at least an hour or two plus).

This is also false. You can eat food in bed and it won't cause fat accumulation unless you're in an energy surplus.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I pay absolutely no attention to WHEN I eat my carbs, or anything else for that matter.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency has no bearing on weight loss as long as you are staying with in the confines of your calories for the day then you have nothing to worry about.... Carbs are not the enemy some make them out to be, I have lost over 300 lbs. with Carbs making up atleast 40% of my macro's. I have taken a 500 calorie snack to bed with me every night since I began this journey and it has not hindered my progress in the least bit..... Best of Luck
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Who told you this?
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Eat anything anytime you want. Your body has no idea what time it is.

Ummm, actually it does. Its called the circadian rythym and effects our eating and sleeping patterns.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/circadian_rhythm.htm

As for carbs at night, not sure if it makes much difference but I only eat carbs an hour of so before I work out and never too late in the day unless I intend on doing a lot of late night activity :love:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Ummm, actually it does. Its called the circadian rythym and effects our eating and sleeping patterns.

As for carbs at night, not sure if it makes much difference but I only eat carbs an hour of so before I work out and never too late in the day unless I intend on doing a lot of late night activity :love:

I found a study with experiments with hours-old zebra fish embryos............

Can you link me a study with humans?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I ate carbs at 4:01pm once..............i immediately needed a mobility scooter
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I ate carbs at 4:01pm once..............i immediately needed a mobility scooter

+1
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Your in fat storage mode.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9MhcTJhY62lmAVrJ1xPkgUaSlOyX_00gitTsLHg3Ts8DFCLbT
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

*sigh*

"A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24 hour cycle in the physiological processes of living beings, including plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria.

In a strict sense, circadian rhythms are endogenously generated, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.

Circadian rhythms are important in determining the sleeping and feeding patterns of all animals, including human beings.

There are clear patterns of brain wave activity, hormone production, cell regeneration and other biological activities linked to this daily cycle".
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

*sigh*

"A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24 hour cycle in the physiological processes of living beings, including plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria.

In a strict sense, circadian rhythms are endogenously generated, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.

Circadian rhythms are important in determining the sleeping and feeding patterns of all animals, including human beings.

There are clear patterns of brain wave activity, hormone production, cell regeneration and other biological activities linked to this daily cycle".

Meh...... Eating in a slight calorie deficit, get up off the couch and get moving, and lose some weight.... Doesn't take any special conditions and sure sounds alot easier than circadian rhythm but that may just be me..... :glasses:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

You forgot to preface this with "Here's the myth:". Do you really think fat is made of undigested food? So can I cut my thighs open and find chewed-up food? Good grief. I know you read the above somewhere or saw it on TV (usually by people trying to sell you something), but that doesn't make it true. It doesn't stand up to even a little use of science or logic.

The reason people lose weight with all the 'don't-eat-after-x-o'clock' diets is because they're consuming fewer calories overall, period. Just keep track of calories and eat whatever you want, whenever you want.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    gimmee all the carbs! I normally eat about 100 grams per day & I'm not a chunky monkey......