Gym that requires credit card/bank account

Options
I was really wanting to join the YMCA today but they said they need my bank account info. I'm hesitating and wondering if I should.Has anyone had any bad experiences with this? Specifically the YMCA? Any good ones or no troubles?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Most gyms do this, so they can auto-bill you. I go to Gold's Gym, and they do it. Never had any problem. I just write on the calendar when the dues are going to be withdrawn, and treat it like any other bill.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    As a kid I had a YMCA membership, but I only went MAYBE 3x a year because I only went when my sister had me for the day, or it was for team bondings when I was in high school.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My gym just does an automatic withdrawal each week of the agreed amount. Never been a problem.

Just make sure you get everything written down in a contract.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Equinox is the same way. I've never had an issue with it. If they didn't I'd have it auto deducted from my account every month anyway. I honestly don't see what the big deal is......
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My gym has my card on file. They do automatic payments every month. The only problem I had was when my contract renewed and I had removed a service. The renewal added the service, but a quick call fixed it.
  • futureshopaholic
    futureshopaholic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well I've heard some stories about some gyms having hidden fees and I dont like how they can pull money whenever they like. I just wanted to make sure that it was safe and they are credible. I haven't done anything like this before and I was always warned against it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, pay for the year in full.

I did that with my membership because it was cheaper than paying month to month. But ive had other memberships that auto bill me. Just remember the date they take it out and if there's a yearly membership fee.
  • ButterflyAngela97
    ButterflyAngela97 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is the same way they automatically take the payment out every month. I haven't had a problem with it.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I see this trend increasing and I personally do not approve of giving people that I do not know, access to my bank account. My current gym does this auto draft as well. I purchased a re-loadable pre-paid card and gave them that information. If I lose the few hundred on the card, life will go on. If something happens and we have a dispute, the card is cancelled and they are on their own.

This decision came about after cancelling a membership with Golds Gym after the 1 year agreement was complete. This process took about 6 months to cancel and we actually closed the bank account just to make sure they were done auto drafting... It's your money...

Edit addition:

Almost forgot this one. Had a spa membership for my Beautiful wife and myself at $120 mo. Canceled membership after the 6 month contract was complete and they still auto drafted the next month. This one was simple to correct and they credited back the funds within a week.

Some people do not have much buffer in their bank accounts and $120 would cause them to bounce checks with a $30 per check overdraft fee. No Thanks... I'll just have a few hundred on a pre paid card that I don't use for other purchases. Think of it as insurance...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    everything requires a cc/debit account these days. you should probably get used to the idea.

bad experiences? usually the biggest problem is that many gyms require you to jump thru hurdles to cancel and will keep autobilling you until you've send a handwritten letter in special ink that was properly addressed as "To Your Majesty". other than that it's not big deal
  • futureshopaholic
    Options
    I see this trend increasing and I personally do not approve of giving people that I do not know, access to my bank account. My current gym does this auto draft as well. I purchased a re-loadable pre-paid card and gave them that information. If I lose the few hundred on the card, life will go on. If something happens and we have a dispute, the card is cancelled and they are on their own.

This decision came about after cancelling a membership with Golds Gym after the 1 year agreement was complete. This process took about 6 months to cancel and we actually closed the bank account just to make sure they were done auto drafting... It's your money...

Edit addition:

Almost forgot this one. Had a spa membership for my Beautiful wife and myself at $120 mo. Canceled membership after the 6 month contract was complete and they still auto drafted the next month. This one was simple to correct and they credited back the funds within a week.

Some people do not have much buffer in their bank accounts and $120 would cause them to bounce checks with a $30 per check overdraft fee. No Thanks... I'll just have a few hundred on a pre paid card that I don't use for other purchases. Think of it as insurance...

I love the idea of pre-paid credit card! I'm glad I'm not the only who is sketch about handing out card numbers.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've had gym memberships with 3 different organizations (YMCA, Lifetime Fitness and YWCA) for years and they always have had my credit card info to charge me every month. Just make sure you're aware of the cancellation policy and it's all good.

Heck, most of my bills are auto pay - insurance, mortgage, utilities, netflix. Makes is much easier when I don't have to remember to pay.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    everything requires a cc/debit account these days. you should probably get used to the idea.

Hmm. Not in Canada.

OP - it's a BAD idea to let businesses have your banking information. ALWAYS A BAD FINANCIAL MOVE. They can go into your bank account whenever they want, and you have very little protection, because you authorized it. Use a credit card with that gym, or go somewhere else.
  • futureshopaholic
    Options

Hmm. Not in Canada.

OP - it's a BAD idea to let businesses have your banking information. ALWAYS A BAD FINANCIAL MOVE. They can go into your bank account whenever they want, and you have very little protection, because you authorized it. Use a credit card with that gym, or go somewhere else.

That's true . I'm Canadian and this is all new to me. I'm always in control of when I pay my bills so this is different. Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I have a lot to think about now.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly safe. You have protection for unauthorized use. Just be sure to ensure you understand the cancellation policy, which is typically at least 30 days in advance of the next payment.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience with one gym, many years ago. They did automatic withdrawals, not a big deal until I moved and tried to cancel the membership. Apparently in the fine print it said that in order to quit the gym I had to prove that I had either moved at least 50 miles (or something like that) away from their nearest facility, or that I was dead. :tongue: No lie.

Thankfully I had moved far enough away, and just had to send them proof of my new and far-away address, but meanwhile they kept making the withdrawals.

So just make sure they don't have that clause in their policy!
  • b2kelly
    Options
    I have had mixed results with this sort of thing;

YMCA is legit no problems with them whatsoever

Steve Nash Fitness World is also legit if you are on the west coast they let you pay a year up front in cash which is what I do

LA Fitness out east is good too..

Those are the only gyms in Canada I would vouch for. You have to be so careful giving gyms unfettered access to your bank account. I have had problems with a chain in Ontario taking money out of my bank account 2 years after I cancelled and switched gyms.. They did not care and kept taking money out of my account. I only got it back when I cornered the manager and threatened his face. There are a lot of cockroaches out there.. be safe.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been a member of our Local YMCA since 2009 and they take our monthly membership straight out of our checking account monthly. Have not had a single issue and won't lose a wink of sleep worrying about it.... The YMCA is an old and storied organization, with as far as I am concerned good core values so I don't see an issue.... Just my 2 cents.....
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    ymca automatically withdraws the money on either the 1st or 15th of the month, your choice

they do this so you can't skip out on payments. No problems.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My gym autobills to my credit card. I didn't want them to have easy access to my bank account either. At least if there's a problem with their billing, I've got that buffer and it's not automatically taken from my bank. I've had memberships through Planet Fitness and then Cardinal Fitness for a total of 7 years and never had a problem with their billing. But I will say that because I didn't actually handle a bill it was easy to put to the back of my mind. I stopped going to PF and it was months before I actually cancelled my membership. My own fault I wasted money on a membership I didn't use. Oh well.