changing your work out

Options
Hello I was wondering how often a person would have to change their workout routine? I hear your body can get used to a certain set of exercises and so it is important to change your exercise routine ever so often. So I am wondering what do you do to change out your exercises and how often do you do change it up and do you just rotate your routines?

Currently I walk on the treadmill for about thirty minutes and then I try to do the elliptical for about ten minutes. I haven't been working out that long and so I am trying to work up to more time at a faster pace. I also try to weight lift at least twice a week. I do bicep curls, work on my triceps, the rowing machine, cable pull down, try to do abdominal exercises, I try to work on my deltoids and pectorals and also the machine that helps strengthen your back. On the days I lift I also do cardio.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can increase the duration, frequency, or the intensity, not just the type of exercise. Whenever an exercise no longer feels as challenging, change one of those variables.
    I do bicep curls, work on my triceps, the rowing machine, cable pull down, try to do abdominal exercises, I try to work on my deltoids and pectorals and also the machine that helps strengthen your back.

Your missing your legs, the largest muscle group of all. Follow an established program to get the best results. NROL and Stronglifts are popular programs.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hello I was wondering how often a person would have to change their workout routine? I hear your body can get used to a certain set of exercises and so it is important to change your exercise routine ever so often.
    This is a pure nonsense sucked out from thin air. You change your workout when the workout you do now not gives you any results anymore. You don't have to change it just for the sake of changing it so you would not get used to it. This is BS. To progress you need to increase weights, or speed, or volume, etc. Because if you don't you will just maintain and not grow. But you don't have to change exercises themselves if you are having good results. You can stay on a program for years and progress if you increase weights, volume, etc. In fact, changing exercises you do too often may confuse your body what may hinder your results more likely than increase them. Do not switch programs, that is not good. Switch programs and workouts only when you have accomplished your goal and current workout can not give you any more results and you must change to advanced routine to progress. But not for the sake of switching it so you don't get used to it, this is BS and you are not doing yourself any favors doing this.

And yes, train your legs. You don't want to have a big and ripped upper body but tiny chicken legs. This looks ridiculous and asymmetrical. It's like being a curl monkey who trains only biceps, same thing. Moustafa Ismail. please don't.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add in the exercises I do on my legs. I actually do some, I am not sure what those machines are called. :blushing:

none machine wise I do squats . . . and of course I am blanking on the rest.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED to change your work out at any particular interval but you might want to make a change to incorporate some free weight exercises to speed up your progress. i recommend reading one of the New Rules of Lifting books to get you started.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED to change your work out at any particular interval but you might want to make a change to incorporate some free weight exercises to speed up your progress. i recommend reading one of the New Rules of Lifting books to get you started.

Thanks for you suggestion! I actually do use dumbells as well as machines.