What do you do when you feel hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• kyven21
    kyven21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I try drinking about half a bottle of water. Typically I no longer feel hungry because my supposed hunger pains were actually cravings for hydration. If that doesn't work then I eat a cup of yogurt or some healthy veggie chips and always follow the serving size. Now since I have already drank some water it helps me to be fuller and keeps me from over eating. It also helps to measure out a portion and put the remaining away so that you won't finish the recommended serving size and continue to eat more.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    i cry.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel hungry in between meals and I'm given the choice between just sitting down and having an early meal (usually dinner) or having a "light" snack. Problem is, my "light" snacks are never light since once I start eating anything I just can't stop (I will pretty much bulldoze through any food supply in sight). Sometimes I'm not even hungry and I just feel like eating stuff.

So my question for you is, what do YOU do when you get hungry?

I eat when I am hungry. I plan for snacks between meals and space out my calories and drink lots of water throughout the day. My food diary is public if you want to gander
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    16 ounces of chai tea or coffee with a touch of soy milk seems to be solving this problem for me recently. I struggle with this one too. It feels wrong depriving my body when it says it's hungry, but I just feel like a huge disappointment if I eat when I'm already over calories.

ETA: If I drink the tea and I'm still hungry, then I eat. Not gonna starve!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    If I am hungry between meals I will make a bag of steamable spinach or broccoli and drink lots of water
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Eat. The. Food. :wink:

What kind of food? And when do you know to stop? I'm still in college (on a meal plan) so in between meals I don't have as much random food around me (usually fruits that I take from the dining hall) but when I'm at home there's so many different kinds of snacks that I eat anything and everything in sight. I don't like recording in my diary on the weekends because 1. A lot of foods I eat aren't exactly in the database (restaurants around here too delicious) and 2. I've sometimes consumed 200-300% my TDEE in a single day XD

whoa, wait you have to journal even when you are "bad" or it leads to DENIAL and that is what leads to weight gain. Eat fruit when at college. WHen home, eat fruit or pretzels and peanut butter. popcorn, celery with salsa, greek yogurt, granola bar, etc.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    We have gone out to eat many many times in the last two weeks and I have tracked every one of those meals. It is doable!
  • ayumi_
    ayumi_ Posts: 50
    Options
    Eat something until I'm not hungry anymore.

"Light snacks" don't work because when you're hungry, your body needs a certain amount of food (depending on how hungry you are). A 40 calorie cup of butter-free popcorn is not going to do trick your body into thinking it's had enough to eat. Volume =/= energy.

It's possible to trick your body with warm drinks but that honestly isn't helping anything in the long run. You need to learn how to eat when you're hungry & stop when you're not anymore, otherwise you'll pretty much struggle with your weight forever.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I eat.

Usually if I check what I have eaten, I figure out it was too little for my activities. If you are hungry all the time, you probably need to increase your calories.