sodium thru the roof

Options
Just when I think I am eating fairly healthy bam the sodium is thru the roof UGH.........

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    processed foods = sodium.

that is all.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is hard to do, but slowly cut out the processed foods. Many low carb/fat/calorie "snacks" add sugar and salt to make up for flavor. I used to HATE fruit and vegetables raw because they didn't taste like anything. But we've been cutting processed foods and gluten for my son's adhd and WOW, tastebuds change. I ate an apple the other day and it tasted like candy. You will get through it! Something I do is "prelog" something if there isn't a label on it to see what the nutrient counts will be. Good luck!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise :smile:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This is me last year. Have you had your blood tested? Do you know that you need to lower your sodium? What I learned is that sodium is a necessary electrolyte and too little is also not healthy. My doctor told me (after I tested too low) that a healthy body is perfectly capable of processing excess sodium. I was obsessed with sodium numbers and it turned out that my obsession was harming me, not my sodium intake. I hope that makes sense.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    Yes I had blood work done back in Dec. everything was good
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Don't worry about it.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    I had taken the sodium part down off my diary until tonight because of the big red #'s ....so I wont worry about it and try to not use so much processed stuff
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    the thing with sodium is it's insidious. will it make a huge difference today or tomorrow or even next year? probably not. but by eating nothing but processed foods to the point where your sodium intake is 5k mg/day will slowly preserve you from the inside out like a slab of salted pork.

there's no reason to ingest that much sodium. it makes it harder to stay adequately hydrated and over time will increase your risk of numerous health issues such as heart disease and high blood pressure among others. just ain't worth it.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ...by eating nothing but processed foods to the point where your sodium intake is 5k mg/day will slowly preserve you from the inside out like a slab of salted pork.

That's definitely the voice of science talking.

For most people, "going over" on salt isn't worth worrying about.