CARBS. What's myth & what's truth?!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Eat anything anytime you want. Your body has no idea what time it is.

Ummm, actually it does. Its called the circadian rythym and effects our eating and sleeping patterns.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/circadian_rhythm.htm

As for carbs at night, not sure if it makes much difference but I only eat carbs an hour of so before I work out and never too late in the day unless I intend on doing a lot of late night activity :love:

I found a study with experiments with hours-old zebra fish embryos............

Can you link me a study with humans?

*sigh*

"A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24 hour cycle in the physiological processes of living beings, including plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria.

In a strict sense, circadian rhythms are endogenously generated, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.

Circadian rhythms are important in determining the sleeping and feeding patterns of all animals, including human beings.

There are clear patterns of brain wave activity, hormone production, cell regeneration and other biological activities linked to this daily cycle".

Do u even science?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Eat anything anytime you want. Your body has no idea what time it is.

Ummm, actually it does. Its called the circadian rythym and effects our eating and sleeping patterns.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/circadian_rhythm.htm

As for carbs at night, not sure if it makes much difference but I only eat carbs an hour of so before I work out and never too late in the day unless I intend on doing a lot of late night activity :love:

I found a study with experiments with hours-old zebra fish embryos............

Can you link me a study with humans?

*sigh*

"A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24 hour cycle in the physiological processes of living beings, including plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria.

In a strict sense, circadian rhythms are endogenously generated, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.

Circadian rhythms are important in determining the sleeping and feeding patterns of all animals, including human beings.

There are clear patterns of brain wave activity, hormone production, cell regeneration and other biological activities linked to this daily cycle".

By all means, focus on the <5% variance instead of the remaining >95%.
  • My body can't tell time
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    My body can't tell time

I love your username. Like...you can't even imagine.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 766 Member
    calories are calories just stay with in your limit
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as it works for you.

and by works i mean it's healthy and sustainable.

do your own research and stick to what feels right to you, because everyone on this board will have a different opinion of what's right and what's "pseudo science" or worse.

IMO calories are not calories even in the least, and I believe quality matters over quantity. But as for the timing, again that's up to you. I don't like eating a lot before bed but it's because I don't like what happens to my body. Listen to yourself and you'll find the answer that works for you.
  • That's just bro science. Our bodies are complex machines that adapt to change. We'd be extinct by now if something as minor as a few carbs is enough to mess up our systems. Even calorie-counting isn't very accurate. Just do your best to aim for good carbs and keep track of what/how much you eat. It is most definitely not going to mess up your entire week.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    I feel that I do better if I stop eating starchy carbs like legumes or fruit before 4 or 5pm I do much better. I also do really well if I keep my starchy carb in take low. I get most of my carbs from veggies
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Truth: I am currently eating a homemade cinnamon roll.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    That being said, carbs turn to glucose (sugar) when digested, which is not good. I stick with low carbs.

I'm confused about why glucose is a bad thing.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    I literally don't know what to believe when it comes to carbs !!

I want to pull my hair out !

Help?
    Like most people have chimed in to say, it really doesn't matter when you eat carbs or any other food. What will indeed throw off your progress is if you have too many calories. Calories will be the determining factor of your weight, NOT how late you ate carbs. It's a ridiculous myth that needs to die.
    IMO calories are not calories even in the least, and I believe quality matters over quantity.
    So... if you don't think calories are calories, what is your best guess at what they are?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I think I eat carbs after 4pm every day.

Has not stopped me from losing weight. Just look at my ticker.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Here's my understanding of how Carbs work and why people testify to the theory of not eating carbs after 4pm. This is just my extrapolation of data that I have found via EFSA, Harvard/Stanford and many others. Basically, carbohydrates break down and spike insulin. The insulin is responsible in some way for filling the glycogen stores. When the glycogen stores "fill up" so to speak, the remaining carbs is stored in fat cells. Now, when you work out and deplete your glycogen stores, your body looks for ways to replenish it. This is commonly satisfied by a post workout meal full of high GI carbs. If you don't do this, then the body will look for alternative ways to fuel this. I'm not certain on this but I believe that the body tends to pull from Amino Acids (Protein) and fatty acids first. Meaning, the carbs that were previously eaten and stored in fat cells, remain there. So, to summarize, it's fine to eat a ton of carbs later in the day so long as you work out in such a way that you will burn it off. As far as weight loss in concerned, my understanding is that it wouldn't be affected because your body would be fueling from proteins and fats instead of carbs. However, fueling the body from protein/muscle isn't what most of us want :)

I could very well be wrong on a lot of this, biochemistry is fairly convoluted and everyone thinks they know everything making it really difficult to find credible sources.

Please feel free to critique, but if you do, please explain why this is wrong with sources if possible. I'm sure I could dig up the sources I've utilized to support this if you want.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    I do better eating low carbs. If you go low carb you will gain when you start adding them back if you don't introduce them slowly. At least that's been my experience, you may have a different reaction
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Your body can totally tell the time - humans have (on average) a 25 hour 'day', so we can be reset like little clocks by sunlight.

BUT: this has no bearing on when you should and shouldn't eat things. Timing of meals (and your macros) should be set that you're eating at your preferred deficit, without feeling hungry or deprived, which may lead to you giving up / giving in.

Personally, I avoid carbs at breakfast, as I've a history of keeling over, if I do eat them. But a meal with a starchy carb component at dinner time (around 8pm for me) tends to stop me snacking later in the evening. YMMDV.
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Personally, I treat carbs like the fuel for my car. I load up on them when I start to feel sluggish (low on fuel) and then maintain a steady daily intake of carbs the remainder of the time. That being said, there's no reason other than extracurricular activities or the need to stay awake for me to fuel right before bedtime. 4 pm seems very early in the day to shut it down though, but to each their own. I don't really care about the science of it all, I just know that it's been working for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    It will not mess it up. However, it depends on how soon you go to sleep after eating. Your body digests food when you eat it. However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat). This is because when you sleep, your body is focusing on many processes, such as making sure you're breathing and many other activities happening in your brain at night (it's very active!). Therefore, digestion gets put to the side. If you're going to have carbs in the evening or night, ensure enough time before sleeping (at least an hour or two plus).

Wait, wait, wait! You mean my brain isn't focusing on making sure I'm breathing when I'm awake? Holy hell, how do I not suffocate every day!?
  • rle5
    rle5 Posts: 1
    Here's the thing-- Carbs have gotten a bad rap. In a long line of diet myths the "no-carb" diet is just another distraction from keeping us from doing the right thing. People believe that all Carbs are bad and that is just not true. We need Carbs but, not all Carbs are created equally. Highly processed, foods containing loads of sugar and other ingredients we can't pronounce should not be part of a healthy diet plan. Carbs that are made with whole grains, low in sugar, and contain fiber are perfectly acceptable and should have a place in a balanced, and nutritious diet. Timing does not have anything to do with how you should or should not consume your carbs (unless you are a professional athlete and/or intensively training). As with the rest of your food intake-- balance throughout the day. Hope this helps.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Here's my understanding of how Carbs work and why people testify to the theory of not eating carbs after 4pm. This is just my extrapolation of data that I have found via EFSA, Harvard/Stanford and many others. Basically, carbohydrates break down and spike insulin. The insulin is responsible in some way for filling the glycogen stores. When the glycogen stores "fill up" so to speak, the remaining carbs is stored in fat cells. Now, when you work out and deplete your glycogen stores, your body looks for ways to replenish it. This is commonly satisfied by a post workout meal full of high GI carbs. If you don't do this, then the body will look for alternative ways to fuel this. I'm not certain on this but I believe that the body tends to pull from Amino Acids (Protein) and fatty acids first. Meaning, the carbs that were previously eaten and stored in fat cells, remain there. So, to summarize, it's fine to eat a ton of carbs later in the day so long as you work out in such a way that you will burn it off. As far as weight loss in concerned, my understanding is that it wouldn't be affected because your body would be fueling from proteins and fats instead of carbs. However, fueling the body from protein/muscle isn't what most of us want :)

I could very well be wrong on a lot of this, biochemistry is fairly convoluted and everyone thinks they know everything making it really difficult to find credible sources.

Please feel free to critique, but if you do, please explain why this is wrong with sources if possible. I'm sure I could dig up the sources I've utilized to support this if you want.
    Fairly accurate. It didn't take into account the energy your body needs to work to begin with thoughl, making your heart beat, your organs work and feeding your brain. Especially your brain feeds directly off carbs, so they're not just used to fill your glycogen.
    And what is stored as fat is used up again as fatty acids when you're under maintenance. Together with some muscle mass, the amount of which gets reduced by working out.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    I ate carbs at 4:01pm once..............i immediately needed a mobility scooter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm a Nurse Case Manager. I can help you qualify for one!!:wink: