Is it accurate??????

Options
Ok so im trying to lose about 20kg and im counting calories and using the elliptical.... so far i lost 1kg and i was just wondering if the elliptical machine will show the accurate calories that i have lost using it??????????????:huh: Thanks

58687953.png

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Does the machine ask your weight? Does it monitor your heart rate?

If it doesn't do either, than no, it is not at all accurate. If it does both, well, it may be accurate, but I can't make any promises.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I don't think calorie counts on cardio machines are accurate, so i usually eat back 75% or so of what they give me. Less when i think the number is outrageously high.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    no
  • Lexandrei
    Options
    definitely not. Those machines only provide a ballpark estimate and some are off as much as 25-30% of their counts. Maybe even more.
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a cross trainer and recently got a fitbit and the fitbit calculates my calorific burn at about 70% of the cross trainer which is using my gender, weight and age...so even with accurate data in I think the cross trainer calorie burn calculation is high.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you want a true reading of calories burned, invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM) with a chest strap. I recently purchased a Polar FT7 from heartratemonitorsusa.com for about $75. Best money ever spent on this journey. It allows you to put in your height, weight, age, sex, etc... It gives you a true readout of calories burned. Some of the MFP estimates are close, but I've found that the HRM is more accurate because it's based off of your true heart rate and weight.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have very little/no faith in the calorie burn readings on the equipment at my gym. The treadmills seem to be fairly consistent but I have no way to compare them with anything else. The bikes on the other hand are worlds apart, one of them will list for example 200 calories for a 30 minute ride, the other one with the same 30 minute exercise will only show 40 odd calories. Both of the machines are Precore and the resistance/personal settings are the same, go figure.
  • MommyMichelle1234
    MommyMichelle1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal overestimates calorie burn way worse than the machines. Elliptical will tell me 560 calories (when inputting age, weight, gender, heart rate), but MyFitnessPal tells me its close to 800 calories. I tested it with my HRM, and the machine was accurate.

Unfortunately, that means MyFitnessPal is WAY off.