Seeking Young Adults 18-30 Who've Lost A Parent

Options
Lost my father to lung cancer, pneumonia, and septic shock on February 10, 2014 at around 3:30pm

Replies

• 850bamafan
    850bamafan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost both of mine when I was younger. Mom died of cancer which caused my father to drink himself to death. I'm 40 though..
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm not in the age group, but I lost my dad September 20th 2013 on my 12 yr old's birthday. I still talk to him every night. I feel like he's cheering me on and I always let him know my weight loss victories. It's like having a silent cheerleader. My heart goes out to anyone who loses a parent.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear that, both of you. I was 24 when my mother and step-father (who raised me) died in a car accident. I am 33 now. Allow yourself to process all of your emotions. Going to a counselor really helped me and several years of antidepressants. To lose a parent at any age is devastating, but is definitely not something one expects when they are young. Take care....
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am sorry! I lost my father to suicide when I was 14.
  • klwxx
    klwxx Posts: 39
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Both of my parents are alive, but I almost lost my mom last year in an extreme 'hypo' from type 2 diabetes. It's horribly scary. My dad is never around and is not nice to me so it's just like I only have my momma left anyway. Stay strong!
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lost my father in 2009 to cirrhosis. He was also doing drugs I believe. Since I was raised by my grandmother, he wasn't around much but the bit of time we spent throughout the years was beautiful. We probably would have gotten closer had my biological mother keep her distance from him. They got remarried and he fell back into the drinking/drug habit with her AND she was a jealous *****. She kept him from calling me (and probably kept money he sent me to herself).
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, hugs.

I lost my mom to cancer in 2004, when she was 53 and I was 23. It will be 10 years in March.
  • soulsnette
    soulsnette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and I loss my dad when I was 11. Still miss him everyday and finally mourning and taking the time to figure out who I am. Take time to grieve and adjust.
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I lost my father at 25 to a brain aneurysm that burst. It was awful. I watched him pass away. This was about 2 yrs ago. I took it very hard. He was my best friend. Sorry for your loss. I know the pain.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of years out of your range, but I'd still like to contribute. I lost my 52-year-old Father to pancreatic cancer when I was 9 years old. I still think of him every day.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Though I never lost a biological parent, she might as well have been. I recently lost a wonderful woman who was like a second mom to me. She was suffering from cancer (started as breast cancer and spread EVERYWHERE) for 7 years and finally lost her battle... It still gets to me when I think of it.

My prayers are with you... and remember you now have a guardian angel watching over you! :heart:
  • JesseeS
    Options
    I lost my father 3 days after Christmas in 2010 from a massive heart attack. I was 20. I'm sorry for your loss. It is extremely difficult to lose a loved one. I think about my father everyday. Chin up and stay positive
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm 32 (missed the mark by two years) and I lost my dad when I was 15 a terminal illness. Now my adopted dad is sick with two auto immune diseases and I don't know what all else. He's on oxygen and lots of meds and not doing very well I don't know how much longer I will have him. Cherish every moment and find ways to keep his memory alive. *hugs*
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    I lost my Mom November 2012. It was very sudden and she was my best friend, so it has been the worst part of my life. Add me if you like!
  • RyanneS20
    RyanneS20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First off I would like to say sorry for your loss. Second, I lost my mother to cancer just before I turned one. In just a couple of weeks I will be 27. With being so young I didn't really know my mom and honestly I have no memory what so ever of her. I have seen pictures and pictures of her and I do have some of her things. I grew up with only a father, which for me really sucks. I know it probably does for most being growing up with only one parent. My father was never really in my life. After I was a little more able to take care of myself my father was never around and before that he was never really around and I was always passed back and forth between family members. Then just over 8 years ago he had some medical issues and ended up having open heart surgery then a couple days after that he had a stroke. After spending several months in the hospital he was released and with being an only child and him not being married, I was the one who has had to take care of him for 8 years. Some times I just wish I could do what he had done to me and just leave and not be around but I know that that wouldn't go over to well. I know that this may make me sound like a horrible person but there are a lot of times that I think to myself "why couldn't it have been my father that I lost almost 26 years ago instead of my mother." Honestly the reason I don't feel bad for thinking that is because my father has been very abusive to me who whole life. Maybe not physical but verbally and mental. So the whole point of me saying all of this is that I feel like I have lost both of my parents when I have actually only lost one. Once again I am sorry for your loss and losing anybody that you love, family or friends, sucks. They say it gets better with time and I know that for everybody the amount of time is different.
  • 4men1lady79
    4men1lady79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss...I'm now 33 and I lost my mother in Feb 2005 to pancreatic cancer, less than a year from being diagnosed...she was 54. It was hard to talk about her for awhile but now I can do it with a smile especially now that I have kids and my oldest asks questions. Its still unreal to this day but I am a stronger person and live each day cherishing my family.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    KikoAlonsoGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I lost my Dad back in 2011 to a stomach aneurism (pretty rare) that burst. I was actually on my way to see see him with my then 4-month old daughter and husband. Unfortunately he was already undergoing surgery and no one even knew he was in there until much later. :( Losing a parent is one of the hardest things you'll ever face and I know, for me, a big part of why I put on so much weight to begin with. It's something you think about nearly every day of your life. Please get in touch with me if you'd like to chat about anything at all and I'm truly sorry for your loss.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    First let me say I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm not in your age bracket now, but I lost my father when I was 23 and 4 years ago I lost my mother. I don't care how old you are, losing both your parents is a kick in the gut. My father was only 51 when he died and my mom was 68. He died from a massive stroke and I lost my mom to colon cancer.
  • wendiepump
    Options
    Lost my mom 3'years ago this April.she was 55 pneumonia did her in.but she was very over weight for Years and years.she had the gastric bypass lost well over 100 but she replaced food with alcohol.Being pregnant with this baby boy really makes me think of her a lot. She only seen my daughter a few times, and that hurt but now to know she will never meet my son really hurts at times.it is what it is....
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. My father died suddenly when I was 16 years old, 24 years ago this month. It hurts. There's no way around the grief, it comes and goes in waves. It took me a good five years before I felt I had made some significant healing.

You always miss them, but it does get easier. Praying for you for peace and comfort. You have my sympathy.