Recipe for a whole chicken

Options
kpierson1987
kpierson1987 Posts: 33 Member
I have a whole chicken and I have no idea what to do with it besides throw it in the crockpot...any ideas as far as seasonings and recipes?

Replies

• Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Two of the easiest and most basic ideas would be either put it in the oven and bake/roast...you could chunk up veggies and roast them too to serve with it and make an easy meal. Or, stew it by putting it in a pot and cover with water. Add chopped celery, carrots, and onions and salt and pepper. Take the cooked chicken out of the pot and allow the broth to continue to simmer to condense the flavor of your stock while you pull the meat off of the bones. Add back the meat along with rice or noodles to make soup. Of course if you're not feeding a large family once it's you could use half of the stewed or roasted chicken to make chicken tacos or enchiladas or a chicken chili etc. so you're not stuck trying to eat a huge pot of soup by yourself.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've made this several times...super easy. Comes out yummy and you end up with a lot of chicken stock too

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Baste it with some lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake it at 350 for about an hour or so (until fully cooked - check this with a thermometer). It's delicious.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    20120805-food-lab-grilled-chicken-butterfly.jpg

BSC.jpg

I think this is one of the best ways to cook a whole chicken, for spices i would use some paprika,sage,salt,pepper,and a little rosemary spray the skin with olive oil spray or rub with olive oil then rub in the spices. Once you remove the backbone as shown it will lay flat on a sheet pan. roast at 375 for about 45 min to an hour depending on size of the bird. Good luck.

edit to add you can use regular scissors to do this, it goes pretty easily.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Something I saw recently that I am dying to try is roasting a chicken in a bundt pan on a cookie sheet with potatoes in the bottom of the bundt pan. I think it was on the new Food Network show the Kitchen.

As far as seasoning I like Herbs de Provence and seasoning salt for roast chicken. Lemon pepper with lemon in the cavity of the chicken. The rub below is great on chicken, fish and pork.

Herb Medley Rub
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/cedar-planked-salmon.html

1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp lemon pepper
    1/4 tsp dried rosemary

In a small bowl, mix all the rub ingredients until crushed and combined. Or using a mortar and pestle, grind until combined.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://simply-delicious.co.za/2012/02/14/indian-spiced-roast-chicken/ if you are good with indian type flavors, this is a favorite go to recipe.
    I also do a plain bird... salt, pepper, poultry seasoning (lightly sprinkle all) and if I do it skinless I'll often rub it with butter first
  • gottagetserious53
    Options
    Go to Foodnetwork.com. Look up "Engagement Chicken". It is a recipe by Ina Garten that I have used over and over. Super simple, just need lemons, garlic and an onion. I don't make the sauce for it, but the chicken is super moist and delicious done in the oven.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I remove the skin (save it to make stock later) and put the whole chicken in a 6-qt. Crock-Pot with an entire head of garlic (peeled), the peel & juice of one lemon or two limes, salt & pepper to taste, and fresh or dried herbs. For example, lemon rosemary or cilantro lime. If there's room, I put veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker: celery, carrot, parsnip, white potato, sweet potato, squash, green beans… That's it—no liquid.

The chicken falls off the bone. I put the bones, skin, gizzards & neck in the Crock-Pot, cover w/ water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar (it supposedly leaches calcium from the bones, plus I love the taste), and cook overnight (or longer). Voila, homemade bone broth.

Leftovers freeze nicely.
  • gottagetserious53
    Options
    I saw that on a show on Food Network just the other day! I am interested to see how it turns out too! Good luck to both of us! :bigsmile:
  • 2013noreen
    Options
    Bump
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I have a whole chicken and I have no idea what to do with it besides throw it in the crockpot...any ideas as far as seasonings and recipes?

You can't go wrong with a basic Simon and Garfunkle chicken = parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme!!!

Roast that sucker at 425 for about 45 - 50 minutes. Or spatchcock grill it for about 25-30 minutes (depending on size).

I usually throw in some garlic and olive oil to rub all over the bird, then I stuff the herbs under the skin as much as possible and rub the rest over the entire bird. It's really hard to mess this up and it always tastes great!!

12723778015_f047c8cfeb_z.jpg
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Skin it then boil it in chicken stock with whole bulb of garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns. Sooooo moist you'll never roast a chicken again.