How do I train for a 5K????

TooFine4MFP
TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
What is the best way to train for a 5K? I used to jog but have since stopped going to the gym and now work out at home and so no running in a long time. I want to get trained up so when all these charity runs start in the spring, I will be good to go........I've heard of the C25K app, but I'd really like something more detailed and thorough, even down to dietary changes...........:wink:

Replies

• beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    When I trained for a 5K, I just googled "train for 5K" and found a plan that had what I should run on which days normally Sundays were the longest days. My goal was to run it without stopping and I did! Good luck!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    I used the dietary info provided here and the C25K program. I started running in Feb and ran 2 5Ks this year. I didn't really make any major diet changes. I reference runners world a lot. And I've learned the REALLY big diet changes are necessary more for the half marathons and marathons.
  • I use an app that I bought for about $3 for my iphone call Couch to 10K, but I think that there is a Couch to 5K version also. I am using it now, even though I am not training for a 10K.

I like that you can set it to play your playlist over the timer. There is a little voice that tells you when to run and walk. As you progress through the program, it builds up your running time.

I credit this app for some of the weight loss that I am enjoying. It has helped me stay on track.

I hope this was helpful.:wink:
  • Just found this in a magazine a month ago.

Week 1 ~
    Mon day - Rest
    Tuesday - .50 walk
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 1 mile walk
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 1.50 mile walk
    Sunday - 1.50 mile walk

Week 2~
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 1.75 mile walk
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 1.50 mile walk
    Friday- Rest
    Saturday- 1.75 mile walk
    Sunday - 1.75 mile walk

Week 3~
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 2 mile walk
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 2 mile walk
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 2.5 mile walk
    Sunday - 2.5 mile walk

Week 4~
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 2 mile wal k
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 2.5 mile walk
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 2.5 mile walk
    Sunday - 2.75 mile walk

Week 5 ~
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 2 mile walk
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 2.5 mile walk
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 3 mile walk
    Sunday - 3 mile walk

Week 6 ~ Final week before your 5K
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 2.75 mile walk
    Wednesday - 30 min swim
    Thursday - 2.5 mile walk
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - 3 mile walk

hope this works for you
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Have a look at http://www.adidas.com/micoach

It has a free iPhone (and others) training app and is very customisable. The website also has a Library section with articles on nutrition, correct technique and other topics. It also has training programs other than 5km so once you've achieved that goal you can move onto a longer distance without having to find another tool to use.
  • Google Couch to 5k. "C25K"
  • NMay50
    NMay50 Posts: 40 Member
    I found a free podcast that I love.... www.podrunner.com. The one I'm using is interval training called "First Day to 5K".

Good Luck and have fun!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,386 Member
    What is the best way to train for a 5K? I used to jog but have since stopped going to the gym and now work out at home and so no running in a long time. I want to get trained up so when all these charity runs start in the spring, I will be good to go........I've heard of the C25K app, but I'd really like something more detailed and thorough, even down to dietary changes...........:wink:

Having done the same thing for myself, I don't believe you need to make any substantial dietary changes, unless you eat really badly right now...heheh....and the Couch to 5K is program is really an excellent way to progressively ease you into running the full distance. You have plenty of time and it's a tried and true method. You could Google other ways to train for it, but I doubt you'll find one that's any easier or safer. Just my two cents worth. :drinker:
  • Bump for later!
This discussion has been closed.