Breatsfeeding and calorie allowances??

slacr
slacr Posts: 9
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, i hope your all doing well on your weight loss journeys - i am very happy with my progress thus far.

I have a question to ask, i am currently on 1800 calories a day and i never even come close to using them - i'm lucky to use 1000. I am also breastfeeding so i'm just a little worried that my intake may be a little too less, although going by how healthy my little one is i'm sure all is good but just want to see what others think.

Also as you lose the weight im sure your allowable calories decrease but i can't seem to find what they go down too as the weight comes off - in anyone can tell me how i can change it so it's for my current weight that would be good too.

Thanks everyone, have a lovely week :)

Replies

• christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    You should ask your doctor about how many calories your baby needs.

The way to reset the calories is to go into your profile after entering your new weight, , go to your goals section, where you included things like how many pounds you want to lose a week, and just click on Reset Goals, The next time you visit your home page you should see your new allowance.
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Actually, its your goals page from your homepage. Sorry about that..
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    good question since i am also breastfeeding. i know each day you breastfeed you burn like 500 calories. i even thought about adding this in as a exercise. i found this web site for you http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=787
    so i guess as long as your milk supply is ok and you are eating healthy food you should be ok.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    You can add in breastfeeding under your food, search "breastfeeding." It will add in negative calories into your food diary.

When breastfeeding, you need to make sure you are eating enough calories and drinking lots of water in order to ensure your milk supply stays sufficient for your little one. I too, am a breastfeeding mom.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    thanks!!! i was wondering if i could do that
  • I'm new to this site and super excited to see other BFing Mamas here! Great tip about the adding the calories in from the foods list. I never even looked to see!
  • slacr
    Thanks for all of your replies and help, i have managed to go in a change my goals and also add in the breastfeeding so thankyou very much for pointing me in the right direction. Just one question , i'm feeding a bub who is 7 months old and i have noticed when you add that it ask how many serves, but it only say's one day so if he is feeding 4 times a day do i do it as four serves or is it just calculated one one full day's worth of breastfeeding...do you know what i mean?

Thanks in advance!
  • Thanks for the tips and to the original poster for asking. I had gone in and "custom" made my goals on the goals page but now I've gone and went back to "guided" and used the Breastfeeding food option for each day.

If you choose the Breastfeeding-Mom and one serving of 100 calories it will come up as -500 calories on your food diary. This is generally how much you are supposed to increase eating if you are nursing full-time. I don't know what the "older baby' allows you to take off since when I saw the -500, I stopped looking.

I am EBF a 2 1/2 month old baby boy :)
  • slacr
    Hi LaurieMP,

I was the orginal poster and i am also EBF my lil boy, he is 7months now and i get -300 a day which is great. I've been doing this for one month now and have so far lost a total of 4kgs so i am happy - hoping to lose another 2-3 kg before xmas might be a challenge but im up for it :)
This discussion has been closed.