C25K + weightloss

Options
Hey guys,
this past year or so I've managed to gain 20-30 pounds and would like to lose most, if not all of that weight. I'm a 21 year old 5'7,165 pound female. According to MFP my NET calories are 1,690 cal/day, I don't know if thats too much or too little. I am really interested in the C25K program, but figured it wasn't enough exercise for me to lose weight. In the summer I worked out 4-5 times a week but stopped once October hit. I was thinking about doing circuit training for 20 mins (alternating between lower+ upper body), 20-30 minutes on the elliptical before the C25K routine. If anyone would like to share information or successes stories with the C25K program or during your weight loss journey, I would love to know. Also any feedback on the workout routine I posted above, or any advice. I would appreciate it!

Replies

• melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just finished Week 6, and will be starting Week 7 on Monday. I'm also doing some weight training, usually on days I don't do C25K. I'm trying to do just a little bit of exercise each day, and it's working really well for me.

Feel free to add me!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has very little to do with exercise -- the number of calories you can drop from any reasonable workout routine is, at best, a buffer for the days you go over your calorie target. It's far too easy to get into the habit of eating more calories than you burned because you "earned it" doing some mongrel workout.

Not to knock exercise -- keeping your body in shape has all kinds of benefits. But don't confuse it with what you need to do to lose weight.
  • AshBolt83
    AshBolt83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K. I'm on week 4. I haven't loss much weight from it, but I feel so much better! My clothes fit a little better. I'm adding a little zumba and weight training as well. Feel free to add me!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has very little to do with exercise -- the number of calories you can drop from any reasonable workout routine is, at best, a buffer for the days you go over your calorie target. It's far too easy to get into the habit of eating more calories than you burned because you "earned it" doing some mongrel workout.

Not to knock exercise -- keeping your body in shape has all kinds of benefits. But don't confuse it with what you need to do to lose weight.

This 100%. Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for health. I did the C25k programme and am now training for a half marathon (and have my first 10k race this morning) but whilst the increased activity means I have a higher TDEE and so means I can have either a higher deficit or eat more, its diet that has given the weight loss. I log, measure & weigh everything to make sure that my calorie intake is accurate.

That said C25K and running is great so I'd suggest doing it for fitness & fun :)