Eating the same food every day

Options
I have a question. I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every morning, with a cup of coffee. I was wondering if this is okay to do? I know oatmeal is good for you, and it's really filling and I do enjoy having it, but is it good for me? This may seem a stupid question, but I really don't know! Do I need to switch it up every now and again, so my body doesn't fall into a rut? I know that stuff like that can happen, you stop losing weight because your body gets used to a routine. I tend to start exercising within the hour after eating, and I really need the energy the oatmeal gives me. My cousin eats scrambled eggs every morning. I was wondering if I should ask her to make me some every once in a while?

Any help?

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheese omelet every morning, without fail. For lunch every day I either have a Subway roasted chicken sub or a Zaxby's house salad. Every day after work I have either a protein bar or a protein shake. Both if I work out, which I usually do. Every night before bed I have a protein shake.

The only meal I have that ever changes is Dinner, and if we eat out I'll almost always end up at Subway, or Zaxby's again.

I like routine. It keeps me from having to think, and keeps emotions from getting in the way. Not only has it not hurt me, I believe it's helped tremendously.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question because I've been wondering about it too. Sorry, I don't have any advice. :(
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    most days i eat the same thing for breakfast. I have a few differant choices for the rest of the day but my snacks tend to be a very few differant things.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every single morning as well. Most days I eat a sweet potato with either lunch or dinner too. I searched the web to see if this was bad and everything I found said that it is not unhealthy. I would assume there are some things you shouldn't eat everyday. I thought maybe sweet potatoes would fall intot this category but the sites I read stated they're only bad in large quantities if you have liver or kidney problems. As far as oatmeal goes it is good for you all around. Just as long as YOU are not bored with it and you're not eating only that because of huge limits to your diet. You should be fine. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you're getting the cals in, not over and the food is healthy. Variety is nice but for some they tend to eat the same things. It's only a problem when you get bored. I prefer changing things up to try out new foods and keep the variety going but there are times I grab PB toast for breakfast or Oatmeal w/PB in it and stick to that especially in the very cold months.

This is likely more personal preference than anything else.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Actually my brother swears by it and the guy is ripped, just be careful what you're adding to it. With me, since I hit the weights alot, I add peanut butter and raisins or trail mix to it.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal and it gives you what you like in the energy department then why change it up unless you'd like too. Eggs are a good choice, there is also yogurt and granola (just watch the serving size). I like the eggs b/c I find that the protein helps me the most. Good luck.
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds silly, but didn't humans eat the same things all the time before we had choices? When we had to stick to what fruits, vegetables, and animals were on our land? Before we could ship items, and before our cultures blended? There's articles that say you should not eat the same thing every day, but I can't help but wonder about our ancestors. Not that they ate the same thing, but they certainly didn't have access to the variety we do.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it as long as you are in your calorie range with the correct ratios of macros everyday. I don't eat the exact same thing everyday, but that's just because I love a variety of foods...but if I could only eat oatmeal for breakfast and nothing else, it wouldn't hurt my results because I know that I only add good nutritious stuff to my bowl of oatmeal.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I am eating the same EXACT thing every day, for the next 84 days.. till my 3rd round of P90X is over. I also eat at NEARLY the same exact time every day.

I love it. It is easy. I know what I'm going to eat already. It also helps me stay in a routine. Which I like, some people don't. So no it is not bad. Although some people will probably tell you if you stop making progress to change it up a bit.

But also remember, if you are doing this as a lifestyle change and not just a diet.. than you will want to have some variety in there.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I eat oatmeal because I like it. Sometimes I add maple syrup to it, probably not the best choice, but I need it to be sweet sometimes!

I like routine and it's nice to not have to wonder what to make every day. Breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day, I don't really like breakfast foods, but eating oatmeal takes the stress out of it. Every morning I wake up, put on my exercise clothes, take vitamins, put on water to boil, wash dishes from last night, eat oatmeal and coffee, workout. The morning is set for me and it works. So I'm glad that I don't have to worry about being unhealthy in the process!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine eating the same thing for the rest of my life. The way I eat NOW is the way I intend to continue eat after my weight loss. I eat based on what I'd like to eat each day.

I do eat a lot of the same things throughout the week. But I do have variety.
    :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheese omelet every morning, without fail. For lunch every day I either have a Subway roasted chicken sub or a Zaxby's house salad. Every day after work I have either a protein bar or a protein shake. Both if I work out, which I usually do. Every night before bed I have a protein shake.

The only meal I have that ever changes is Dinner, and if we eat out I'll almost always end up at Subway, or Zaxby's again.

I like routine. It keeps me from having to think, and keeps emotions from getting in the way. Not only has it not hurt me, I believe it's helped tremendously.

I do the same. Hasn't hindered my weight losses or gains (depending on goals).
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I have a bowl of Kashi GoLean nearly every day unless I'm out. I like it. It satiates me for several hours, I don't usually need a snack between breakfast and lunch because of how filling it is. I see a lot of people complaining about how they can't stay below their calories each day I have the opposite problem. I have a hell of a time even getting close to the calories I need in a day. I always vastly over-estimate how many calories I've eaten unless I actually go through them and realise, wow, that wasn't even close. I really need to find foods higher in calories because I'm supposed to be eating 3K a day and I have a hard time even hitting 1800.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Oh, by the way... Subway is horrible unless you're eating veggies only. Their foods are so ridiculously high in sodium that it nearly puts McDonalds to shame. I'm almost tempted to find nutrition details about both and look up popular alleged healthy choices and see which of the two is worse. I know that McDonalds' salads are actually worse than a big mac for calories/sodium. Sodium is a nasty preservative and the more of it you have the more of it you crave, the food companies are far from stupid they know exactly what they're doing.