PT Advice

Options
What do you think would be more beneficial to me. I'm returning to exercise post injury and since the injury have not only lost all my fitness being nearly a year since I last exercised but also gained 16kg. I've since been back at the gym for a month and lost 5kg (3 was before I started back at the gym).

I'm trying to decide whether to do 1 personal training session a week of 30 minutes. Or do 1 a fortnight at 1 hour long.

What do you think would be better? For me, its getting through all the head junk. I am really fearful of hurting myself again which is why I want a PT to watch my technique. But my fear slows me down. I also feel so awful when working out because it reminds me of how much weight I've gained and how unfit I now am. So that can some days beat me. Other days I beat it.

I am otherwise self motivated as deep down I know I can do it. Taken 12 minutes off my time to burn the same amount of calories, increased the resistance that my ïntense" 4 weeks ago is now my resting. Done the first 4 weeks pretty much on my own apart from the initial program when you join and I had my first hour long PT session and I'm hooked. Was really great to have someone coaching and guiding me the whole way.

Benefits of an hour that I can see is they help stretch you afterwards and you get a little massage in the last 5 minutes haha oh that is so lame of me for liking those two bits hahahaha. :P

Trainer said that if I did 30 minutes he would just do strength because he knows I can do the cardio on my own (he works on the floor so sometimes sees me on the floor). But should I have someone train me in cardio too? When I'm in cardio normally on cross trainer/elliptical I do HIIT 12/9 tension wise for 40 seconds on 20 seconds off. He was doing 14 (which is max) and down to 1 or 5 and mixing it around all the time sometimes my max would be 11 or 13. Or maybe I'm just thinking of excuses to have the hour so I get a massage haha.

Agh no idea. My goal is weight loss first and fitness second. Which is very vain I know but its the truth.

Replies

• Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have 30 min PT once a week. We don't do cardio, I can do that on my own. And I stretch on my own. I think it's more important to have PT more often as she keeps me pushing harder on other days as well. She writes a weekly plan for me so I know what to do.
    Good luck :)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Can you do 1x a week for a month then switch to 1x every 2wks after that? That should be enough time to increase your confidence. Book a full sports massage if you enjoy massage!
  • laurensgettingfit
    laurensgettingfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - both good answers. Might have to hit up the sports massage idea my hamstrings are KILLING me. I hadn't thought of asking them to write me a weekly plan. That is also a good idea as I am really tired of the program initially written for me by the gym even though its only been 4 weeks.