Eating for your blood type??

Options
Well, today I found out my blood type is O positive. I've been hearing tons about eating for your "type" and wonder if this is just a "fad"? hype" etc or is there any real good truth to it that maybe I should follow? Also, seems like theres alot online of different books, info on it and just would like some good solid true info. let me know what yous think?:happy:

Replies

• hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's a fad. My mother is a hematologist (blood scientist). She says there is no scientific reason why people with different blood types should eat differently.
    I'd recommend what grandma always said-a balanced, varied diet of whole foods in reasonable amounts.
    Best of luck on your quest for better health!
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    It's a fad. My mother is a hematologist (blood scientist). She says there is no scientific reason why people with different blood types should eat differently.
    I'd recommend what grandma always said-a balanced, varied diet of whole foods in reasonable amounts.
    Best of luck on your quest for better health!

Thanks so much! that's what I've been doin..followin Grandmas diet :tongue:
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's not a real thing. The guy who made it up did it all based on anecdotes and patient self-reporting, and didn't do any actual real scientific studies. There's no evidence that people with different blood types digest food differently. If you look into it, no matter what your blood type the "diet plan" dreamed up by D'adamo is essentially a low-calorie, higher-exercise diet plan. Some have higher proportions of carbs or fruits or whatever but no matter what you're still eating less than what you need to maintain, so you'll see a weight loss - the fallacy is that people attribute that to their diet plan working because of its compatibility with their blood type. Eat healthily and exercise more - regardless of your blood type :)
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what my blood type is...
  • Papucho
    Papucho Posts: 138
    Options
    I researched it and found out my blood type requires cheeseburgers.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is a complete fad. One reason he had so much success is that there are a TON of us O positive blood type people running around, and since he restricts you from wheat, and a lot of other carbs, it basically became a way that a lot of people went on a low carb, and consequently lower calorie diet. Other people who had success because of this book were instances of where someone didn't know that they were sensitive or allergic to a particular food, and stayed away from it long enough to find that out.

The moral of that story is that we all have food sensitivities, and a good part of your health journey should be to experiment with what foods make your body feel good, and help your body lose weight.

Here is my advice for weight loss: Find out the right amount of food for your body given the amount of activity and exercise you participate in, and eat with a calorie deficit that is in accordance with losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Keep things interesting in the kitchen and the gym to keep your body guessing and stave off boredom. Brush yourself off and try again after mess ups, and celebrate all your victories with supportive friends and family members.

Enjoy!!
  • Jess0218
    Options
    Yeah, this is a complete fad. One reason he had so much success is that there are a TON of us O positive blood type people running around, and since he restricts you from wheat, and a lot of other carbs, it basically became a way that a lot of people went on a low carb, and consequently lower calorie diet. Other people who had success because of this book were instances of where someone didn't know that they were sensitive or allergic to a particular food, and stayed away from it long enough to find that out.

The moral of that story is that we all have food sensitivities, and a good part of your health journey should be to experiment with what foods make your body feel good, and help your body lose weight.

Here is my advice for weight loss: Find out the right amount of food for your body given the amount of activity and exercise you participate in, and eat with a calorie deficit that is in accordance with losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Keep things interesting in the kitchen and the gym to keep your body guessing and stave off boredom. Brush yourself off and try again after mess ups, and celebrate all your victories with supportive friends and family members.

Enjoy!!

Thanks so much SouthernBell86!!! Great advice :) altho im just learning and not sure what deficit i need to lose 1 to 2 lbs? my calorie thing on here say 1200 a day to maintain i guess is what that is?? so 200 less than that???
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Wow.... me too....lol
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have entered all your information correctly - including lifestyle (which is very critical) and MFP has told you that you should eat 1200 calories to maintain, then my suggestion is to exercise in order to get your calorie deficit. You don't want to deprive your body of the nutrition it needs to function. The truth is that as an adult you need a certain amount of carbs, protein, fat, fiber, potassium, vitamins, minerals and other various nutrients in order to be healthy. If you eat less than 1200 calories a day it will be almost impossible to get enough of all those things.

There is a lot of disagreement here on whether 1200 is really the minimum anyone should go as far as calories are concerned, but truly your body needs all that food for more than just the calories, so if you are in a position of needing to have a calorie deficit while eating 1200, then you need to find ways to work exercise into your life so that other pieces of your health don't suffer while you are losing weight.

There are lots of great ways to do that, I enjoy walking, jogging (C25K), the elliptical machine, etc. I also have a set of DVD's I enjoy doing at home - called T-Tapp. The website is at T-Tapp.com and you can preview some exercises on the website for free to see if you like them. It is very good for toning up your body and melting away fat, since her workouts target so many muscle groups with each move you do. She has a 15 minute workout that is great because its quick, but really effective!
  • Jess0218
    Options
    Well, if you have entered all your information correctly - including lifestyle (which is very critical) and MFP has told you that you should eat 1200 calories to maintain, then my suggestion is to exercise in order to get your calorie deficit. You don't want to deprive your body of the nutrition it needs to function. The truth is that as an adult you need a certain amount of carbs, protein, fat, fiber, potassium, vitamins, minerals and other various nutrients in order to be healthy. If you eat less than 1200 calories a day it will be almost impossible to get enough of all those things.

There is a lot of disagreement here on whether 1200 is really the minimum anyone should go as far as calories are concerned, but truly your body needs all that food for more than just the calories, so if you are in a position of needing to have a calorie deficit while eating 1200, then you need to find ways to work exercise into your life so that other pieces of your health don't suffer while you are losing weight.

There are lots of great ways to do that, I enjoy walking, jogging (C25K), the elliptical machine, etc. I also have a set of DVD's I enjoy doing at home - called T-Tapp. The website is at T-Tapp.com and you can preview some exercises on the website for free to see if you like them. It is very good for toning up your body and melting away fat, since her workouts target so many muscle groups with each move you do. She has a 15 minute workout that is great because its quick, but really effective!

Thanks again for all the info! I do ride my bike, but it's cold so not so much anymore :( I have a treadmill that I use and also the Insanity DVDs. So far since the middle of November i def has lost my mojo do to winter and the cold..hate it. Im tryin to get it back and get back to at least runnin on my treadmill each day. Im in my normal range from what i read and hear but the fat on my belly has to go. If i could get the weight to sit in other places...(like my chest):laugh: i'd be good to go. lol haha
    Im tryin to kick it back into gear..but im ready for spring!!! :tongue:
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

Wow.... me too....lol

... and me!! :bigsmile:
  • twinkier
    twinkier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know this post is old but I thought I would share my opinion of the blood type diet. I am currently on the blood type diet. I am an O negative and before the diet I had no energy and was not losing weight at all. I have been on the diet for six weeks now and with the help of the diet, exercise, and this site, I have seen great progress with not only weight but with my digestion and energy. I say do what works for you, everyone is different and it is an individual choice. I don't and wont downplay the different paths to health and weight loss that anyone takes. I congratulate what works for others. For me (right now), this works for me.
  • Aavan
    Aavan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your comment. I have also been on the Eat 4 Your Type (O Positive) diet for almost two weeks and I have noticed a difference in my digestion and overall energy level. Eating healthy and clean along with exercise are important keys to obtaining a healthy weight. Good luck and I hope the diet continues to contribute to your goals.