Need a little pick-me-up

Options
I'm generally just a reader of the blogs but decided that I need a little support. I've been on the site for about 3 weeks now and have already lost 9.5 lbs. I know, pretty great!

BUT - my motivation is slipping. I was at a friends house over the weekend and even though I didn't eat too badly, and kept keeping track I just felt guilty because I wasn't eating great food (home made mashed potatos!)

I need some success stories or some words of wisdom because I can sense that I'm losing my edge already!

HELP!
Lauren

Replies

• Lauren882
    Lauren882 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm generally just a reader of the blogs but decided that I need a little support. I've been on the site for about 3 weeks now and have already lost 9.5 lbs. I know, pretty great!

BUT - my motivation is slipping. I was at a friends house over the weekend and even though I didn't eat too badly, and kept keeping track I just felt guilty because I wasn't eating great food (home made mashed potatos!)

I need some success stories or some words of wisdom because I can sense that I'm losing my edge already!

HELP!
    Lauren
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're doing fine! i strongly believe in eating what you want in moderation. depriving yourself or feeling guilty about what you eat is what gets most of us into trouble (bingeing, etc). stay realistic with your goals, you won't be perfect all the time! if you slip up just say 'i'll do better today'. i give myself one cheat day a week because its not realistic for me to meet my goal everyday. so i have my cheat day, and i don't feel bad about it. and i'm still losing weight! find what works for you and stick with it, but don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day.

em:flowerforyou:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Girl at 9.5 lbs you are a success story - that is awesome!! Congrats.

I think that having some things (like mashed potatos) totally fine and when you count it in your diet and it all works out- even better. The downfall is when we put too tight of a restrain on and then end up having a huge binge fest and giving up.

You inspire me with your weight loss for sure! I am at my last 7 lbs and they are coming off slowly but I know I feel good from being aware of what I am eating and increase in exercise so I am ok with the slow weight loss.

My goal is to be able to do a handstand for my 34 birthday which is on August 15 and you better believe I will be so excited when it happens!

Again congrats on your loss and maybe it would be good to start a challenge group or join one already in progress to help you stay motivated.
  • monica5237
    monica5237 Posts: 450
    Options
    I also was at a friends house this weekend and well we were cooking out and I looked at all the great food (BBQ ribs) and well I had a small rib and a hamburger patty made just like a burger but no bread. I have found that I can have whatever I want as long as I do it in moderation. If i want that slice of cake I have a small piece (smaller than the kids) and it takes the craving away.

You have done so great 9.5 is awesome, don't give up keep going. I have lost 27.8 pounds since june and I feel great but I know i have a long way to go, 47 more pounds. All I tell my self is when I look at the stuff i want I say "it is only me that loses the battle" I am not hurting anyone but myself.

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

First of all, you don't have to 100% for this to work. :wink: If you did, I wouldn't be here, as I am sure many others here. Raise your hand if you are perfect??? See? So don't beat yourself up, you are fine! So maybe you ate a little more/un-perfect/out of sync, than you had wished...Look at how far you have come girlie!!!

To stay on track I always eat foods which works with my kids, my hubby, AND me. I don't want to ever feel deprived or make my family stress over food. I just keep myself in control. When we BBQ I eat a hot dog, a bun, I weight some baked chips, drink tons of water and always have a fruit and a veggie with our meals.

ANYWAY!!!

Just keep up the great work. So stay on track, log your foods, keep your body momving and accept less on track days along with *perfect* moments. It's a healthy new lifestyle, not a temporary game to torture yourself! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I really do think that it's important to eat the foods that make us feel good sometimes, regardless of the calories, carb count, butter, etc. I'm not saying we should eat three large plates full, but I think it's really good for the soul to feed ourselves that make us feel good. Comfort foods can do amazing things! Don't feel guilty! Just stick to it and feed your soul a little happiness from time to time. :)
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say I have been eating a smore at least three times a week since I started this change of lifestyle. I do it, not for me of course...lol, but so my kids can see a change of lifestyle, not a diet! :wink: I totally am taking one for the team, right? :laugh:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Lauyou feelren,

if it was that easy that you just loose a few pounds and optimistically keep going and going this would be a breeze. I hate to tell you that but it is not. There are and always will be moments that make going on really hard for you. Somehow your body or mind finds all kinds of excuses NOT to continue. Just know that, let it pass and keep going. For support in times like this this forum is a wonderful place. Well, more the people in this forum that is.
    Also please think about that a very well researched, successful dietprogramm like Weight Watchers allows deliberately a day where you eat more than allowed. Why? Because nobody is perfect, and if you keep forcing people to be perfectly goal oriented all the time they get frustrated and quit. That is human.

You have seen that this program works and you know it is a good program. Take a break for day. Two if need to. Think about anythinh else BUT weight loss. And DO NOT feel guilty about that. Just go back to what you did so fara and keep going.

Hope that helps.