Should I weigh myself before or after coffee?

Options
If I weigh myself before coffee, I don't have coffee in my belly. If I weigh myself after coffee, I've usually gone to the bathroom for the day...

Does it really make any difference?

This is before I eat anything for the day.

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you dont pee right when you get up? i weigh after that. *or* you could just mentally subtract out the 12 oz in a typical cup of coffee. *or* just not be so particular. just do it the same way every day.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As a rule of thumb I weight myself first thing in the morning before I eat or drink for an accurate number on the scale. :smile:
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Coffee makes me go to the bathroom... not pee.
  • mlclark86
    mlclark86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about before or after coffee...just be consistent. I enjoy my coffee and then weigh in about a hour later before I eat my breakfast.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Usually, I weigh after using the bathroom, and before drinking or eating anything.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just being consistent is probably the most important thing. If you do it before coffee, right when you wake up, then do the same thing next week.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just being consistent is probably the most important thing. If you do it before coffee, right when you wake up, then do the same thing next week.

Yes. Weigh the same time of day & the same day of the week. Fluctuations are normal, but if you are in a calorie deficit, the trend over time will be downward.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Be consistent - do it at the same time, same way (sans clothes, in your undies, etc). Just remember the scale fluctuates for a variety of reasons and is not always the best judge of progress (or of fitness). You should also take measurements and photos. (no one has to see the photos but you if you so choose - however it helps with the 'oh I don't think I have made any progress in the last X weeks/months' feeling)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Before. I'm lazy I wouldn't want to have to get up, getdressed, go to the kitchen, make my coffee, drink it, then go back to the bathroom, get undressed and weigh.

So much simpler to get up, stumble to the bath, pee, then weigh. Then your set for the day.
  • RNmomto3
    RNmomto3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always weigh right when I get up after going to the washroom and before I consume anything.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Pick one and stick with it. I try not to look at the number itself but the trend. Doing one and then the other would screw up your base line and trending would be inaccurate.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do both and see what the difference is!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    So your real question is should you weigh yourself before or after your morning bowel movement?

It really doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way each time.