Who uses Fitbit AND an HRM? Humana Vitality

Options
I have the Polar ft7, which I only use during workouts. But I recently purchased and have been using a Fitbit Flex. I love both of these wonderful tech gadgets! I park further away because of the Flex, and with the Polar HRM, I am working harder to keep that hr up.

My question is this...I use the Flex during most of the day EXCEPT when I'm working out. I know to use both recordings would be double dipping, so I don't do that. I have taken off the flex to workout with the HRM to see and make sure how hard I'm working, and then put the flex back on after that. Does anyone else do this?

Humana Vitality members, we get points for 10,000 steps or 30 minutes of continuous activity or 200 calorie workout. Which do you do consistently. With so many choices, I feel like a kid in a candy store. Lol...

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Bump for answer.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You should use your flex while working out. The Fitbit is for activity throughout the day (steps/distance), the HRM is just that the record how ur HR is when working out and when u add ur activity and calories burned to MFP it override the calorie burn that Fitbit has estimated. From my experience they are pretty close the the same. It's not an apples to apples comparing its apples to oranges these two devices do to different things.
    You are cheating yourself out of steps when you take off the Fitbit because they are a part of what you are doing for the day. Hope I made sense.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Just so you know the most steps I've gotten and it was with c25k walk jog in 30 min was about 4k steps. And your Fitbit while reflect very active minutes

Edit
    I'm not Humana just an opinion from someone who uses and loves Fitbit.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I only have the Fitbit, occasionally I log activities that it doesn't seem the FitBit adds. If I'm doing strength training for example.

I just set up my Humana Vitality/Humana Fit account yesterday! I love that I can link my FitBit to different websites and earn rewards for exercising. It's extra motivation to do the right thing!
  • anitac0126
    anitac0126 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've managed to hit 5,000+ for several days now and my goal is 10,000 to get the points from Humana Vitality. I've checked my Humana Fit account and discovered I've gotten points for my HRM workouts that I really didn't think would count due to intensity. But they gave it to me! :) ((May have been something I misunderstood)) But I'm working my butt off and actually, I was able to purchase the Polar ft7 BECAUSE of points with HumanaVitality! :) I received an Amazon Gift Card as redemption of points a while back.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and a HRM. I use the HRM for workouts. Recently I've been leaving the Flex in the locker during workouts. My understanding is that when you enter the activities + calories from the HRM into Fitbit (or MFP), it overrides the Fitbit calories for the same period of time, but it doesn't override the steps (which may or may not be actual steps; sometimes you earn "steps" with movements that aren't walking). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm more concerned about calories burned than steps, so it doesn't matter a lot to me, but for people who are really looking at the steps it would.
  • rondaj05
    Options
    I've managed to hit 5,000+ for several days now and my goal is 10,000 to get the points from Humana Vitality. I've checked my Humana Fit account and discovered I've gotten points for my HRM workouts that I really didn't think would count due to intensity. But they gave it to me! :) ((May have been something I misunderstood)) But I'm working my butt off and actually, I was able to purchase the Polar ft7 BECAUSE of points with HumanaVitality! :) I received an Amazon Gift Card as redemption of points a while back.

That's good to know! I would like to have both eventually!
  • rondaj05
    Options
    ... it overrides the Fitbit calories for the same period of time, but it doesn't override the steps (which may or may not be actual steps; sometimes you earn "steps" with movements that aren't walking). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm more concerned about calories burned than steps, so it doesn't matter a lot to me, but for people who are really looking at the steps it would.

I've heard the same thing about the FitBit's that you wear on your wrist, that' was one of the main reasons I went with the One.
  • jppoirrier
    jppoirrier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    anitac0126 wrote: »
    I have the Polar ft7, which I only use during workouts. But I recently purchased and have been using a Fitbit Flex. I love both of these wonderful tech gadgets! I park further away because of the Flex, and with the Polar HRM, I am working harder to keep that hr up.

My question is this...I use the Flex during most of the day EXCEPT when I'm working out. I know to use both recordings would be double dipping, so I don't do that. I have taken off the flex to workout with the HRM to see and make sure how hard I'm working, and then put the flex back on after that. Does anyone else do this?

Humana Vitality members, we get points for 10,000 steps or 30 minutes of continuous activity or 200 calorie workout. Which do you do consistently. With so many choices, I feel like a kid in a candy store. Lol...

I use both as well, sometime all 3 methods. I wear the Fitbit throughout the day to get a total step count. I use the Polar FT7 for my workouts ( I wear the fitbit during these as well). Lastly I sometimes go for a run afterward and I use the Run Keeper app on my phone for that. That way I have all my basis covered. If I don't get 10,000 steps in a day, I'll still receive the 15 Vitality Points for the heart rate monitor or the run and vice-versa. I don't consider it double dipping because you can only get 15 points per day anyway. (I think it should be more if you are doing more than 1 workout a day)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    anitac0126 wrote: »
    I use the Flex during most of the day EXCEPT when I'm working out. I know to use both recordings would be double dipping, so I don't do that. I have taken off the flex to workout with the HRM to see and make sure how hard I'm working, and then put the flex back on after that. Does anyone else do this?

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Leave your Fitbit on.

If your HRM syncs with Fitbit, you don't have to do anything—the HRM sends your burn to Fitbit, Fitbit sends your TDEE to MFP, and MFP adjusts your calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit.

Otherwise, log your HRM burn in MFP. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so there's never any double dipping.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use the Vitality website as well. The most you can get is the 15 points per workout so I would leave my Fitbit on and use the Heart rate monitor. Make sure you are setting goals and do the preventative docots visits. I made Platinum member begining of this month and I have already gotten enough points to get $250 in Amazon gift cards (used to get son a tablet and me a Garmin Forerunner 15) plus I have points left over. Love getting paid to be healthy and exercise LOL.