So what's a healthy cocktail anyways?

Options
Okay here's the deal: this weekend I have THREE different holiday soirees to attend (hell, two in one day!) and they will ALL have alcohol. I'm not a big alcohol drinker anyway, but I was hoping somebody had some cocktail suggestions that aren't going to wreck the scale? Oh the chance that I may want to order one or two drinks...thanks!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The less things in the drink the better. Highballs or any clear liquid (like vodka) and water or another clear liquid for a mix.
  • SarahDeeGee
    SarahDeeGee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Red wine at about 124 cal per glass is technically the healthiest. First of all, because of the antioxidants. Second, because it's also something you can savor and sip slow, and it enhances the palette for certain foods. (Aphrodisiac too, I might add.)

Second, light beer. It's easy to keep track of the calories, and they will produce a "full" feeling that will also help you pace. Those are 94-100 calories usually. HOwever, they have no nutritional value. And Bud light has traces of formaldehyde in it, which contribute to hangovers.

Finally, I stick to either gin & tonics for hard booze, or I mix water with Grey Goose and add a no-cal Crystal Light drink mix packet. Hydration, vitamins and a little bit of alcohol all in one.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like vodka and club soda with lime. :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Red wine at about 124 cal per glass is technically the healthiest. First of all, because of the antioxidants. Second, because it's also something you can savor and sip slow, and it enhances the palette for certain foods. (Aphrodisiac too, I might add.)

Second, light beer. It's easy to keep track of the calories, and they will produce a "full" feeling that will also help you pace. Those are 94-100 calories usually. HOwever, they have no nutritional value. And Bud light has traces of formaldehyde in it, which contribute to hangovers.

Finally, I stick to either gin & tonics for hard booze, or I mix water with Grey Goose and add a no-cal Crystal Light drink mix packet. Hydration, vitamins and a little bit of alcohol all in one.

Oh ya! I forgot to mention red wine!
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I just read this earlier today. It's tips for surviving holiday parties from Bethenny Frankel. Just remember, when she's talking about soda for your drink, she's referring to soda water, not Pepsi or Coke. :wink:

Have a great time!

http://www.bethenny.com/2010/12/01/indulge-during-the-holidays-without-going-overboard/
  • papillon0128
    papillon0128 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Five ounces of a red wine like Franzia Chianti for example is only about 95 calories. If you mix that with ice and a diet sprite of diet soda that you like it make for a delicious wine spritzer that is relatively low in calories compared to most cocktails and tastes great too !
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would go with a bloody mary. About 80 calories.
  • adrii06
    adrii06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh squeezed lemonade(splenda) with mint and Vodka!! aaahh...!!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Not that most of these don't sound like yummy at-home drinks (wine and beer excepted).... but here's a list of five drinks that your beleaguered bar tender can rustle up for you.

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2008/12/5-best-low-calorie-cocktails#slide=6

And at home.... I love me some vodka and pomegranate-flavored sparkling water with a twist of lime.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Vodka and Club Soda is all I drink. For variety I get either lime or lemon, get it with a flavored vodka like stoli blueberry. It works for me, and for 2 1 oz shots I think it comes to around 150 calories. Not bad and can still get a buzz :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Going to be my suggestion too! You can change it up with different flavors of vodka and you can get diet club soda!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I belieave a glass of white wine is also in the low-mid 100's for calories. I just remembered it was about 450 for the bottle :-)

A flavored vodka and diet tonic is a great choice too, and very yummy. Don't waste calories on a mixer and try and stick to a clear alcohol.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options

beat me to it!

i also like vodka & fresca, i realize it's pop, but it's yummy
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Kettle One Vodka and club soda...It seems to be the most smooth tasting vodka to me. I think 1 oz of vodka is 60-65 calories.
  • js775219
    Options
    Not that most of these don't sound like yummy at-home drinks (wine and beer excepted).... but here's a list of five drinks that your beleaguered bar tender can rustle up for you.

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2008/12/5-best-low-calorie-cocktails#slide=6

And at home.... I love me some vodka and pomegranate-flavored sparkling water with a twist of lime.

Thank you everybody and that Glamour article hit it right on the nose: Appletinis, Mudslides and champagne all are favorites of mine already...so this made me feel a lot better. I was unaware White Russians had over 300 calories in them!!! To think me and my friends used to down White Russian Milkshakes...yep, a White Russian mixed with vanilla ice cream! And I wonder how I got to 250 lbs! LOL Thanks people, I can always count on you!
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I will usually enjoy a sundowner with my girlfriend. I budget a couple hundred calories for the treat. I'd rather drink what I enjoy and cut back other calories. If the drink I am having involves calories, it will not be something you could serve to a kid. ;-)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Gin and Soda Water, The Rangpaur Gin can be drank with just ice and no mixer.