CARBS. What's myth & what's truth?!

Options
13»

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I ate carbs at 4:01pm once..............i immediately needed a mobility scooter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm a Nurse Case Manager. I can help you qualify for one!!:wink:
  • craftywitch_63
    Options
    That being said, carbs turn to glucose (sugar) when digested, which is not good. I stick with low carbs.

I'm confused about why glucose is a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing, in fact, it's the only nutrient your brain can use for fuel.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    That being said, carbs turn to glucose (sugar) when digested, which is not good. I stick with low carbs.

It's not a bad thing, in fact, it's the only nutrient your brain can use for fuel.
    You might want to google ketones.
  • craftywitch_63
    Options
    It will not mess it up. However, it depends on how soon you go to sleep after eating. Your body digests food when you eat it. However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat). This is because when you sleep, your body is focusing on many processes, such as making sure you're breathing and many other activities happening in your brain at night (it's very active!). Therefore, digestion gets put to the side. If you're going to have carbs in the evening or night, ensure enough time before sleeping (at least an hour or two plus).

Wait, wait, wait! You mean my brain isn't focusing on making sure I'm breathing when I'm awake? Holy hell, how do I not suffocate every day!?

Haven't you heard? You're a special little snowflake. You're the exception to the whole "have to breathe during the day" rule. :laugh:
  • craftywitch_63
    Options

I'm a nurse so I know about ketones. When we find them we have to treat them with insulin. Google diabetic ketoacidosis. Ketones damage the liver, kidneys and cause damage to things like eyes and nerves; Google neuropathy.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I dont know scientifically about any rules like not eating after 4:00 pm (carbs).

however, I do feel this way - that if you are really starving at 9:00 and your bedtime is an hour or two away, then I would eat the carbs and not go to bed starving. Because then you wake up even MORE starving and then you probably will grab whatever is available and overeat to compensate for the extreme starvation you are feeling.

but secretly i do feel that rule does not apply since it all balances out thru the week. sometimes you eat perfectly and bodily weight (normal) fluctuations happen.

So i would look to the big picture and see how that is working overall.

I've even found that eating low calorie all week and then having a candy bar does not seem to cause weight gain for the week.

I think some of these rules are kinda silly and you have to test it to see how it works for your body.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I'm a nurse so I know about ketones. When we find them we have to treat them with insulin. Google diabetic ketoacidosis. Ketones damage the liver, kidneys and cause damage to things like eyes and nerves; Google neuropathy.
    You say your a nurse and you believe ketones and ketoacidosis are synonymous, not surprising.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The brain uses ketones on a low-carb diet but it doesn't use 100% ketones like it uses 100% glucose. It still produces glucose for brain function, the balance of which I'm unsure of, but it seems to have a minimal need for glucose.

Most of what is said about carbs & low-carb is a myth... though I am not a fan of keto diets without medical supervision, if it works for you and you do it informed, there's no problem.

If you want carbs, eat them. Only in the land of healthy eating are we simultaneously told that carbs are the devil and responsible for obesity, yet on the other hand vegetarian/vegan diets will ensure you live until you're 103 (in addition to saving the planet).
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The brain uses ketones on a low-carb diet but it doesn't use 100% ketones like it uses 100% glucose. It still produces glucose for brain function, the balance of which I'm unsure of, but it seems to have a minimal need for glucose.

Most of what is said about carbs & low-carb is a myth... though I am not a fan of keto diets without medical supervision, if it works for you and you do it informed, there's no problem.

If you want carbs, eat them. Only in the land of healthy eating are we simultaneously told that carbs are the devil and responsible for obesity, yet on the other hand vegetarian/vegan diets will ensure you live until you're 103 (in addition to saving the planet).
    Hominids have adapted for millions of years in varied climates and the adaptions that that provided means we can also thrive on just about anything and to say that low carb is not healthy is cherry picking to support their stance. The Inuit didn't have medical supervision over the last 40,000 years, but strangely enough they do now because of the health problems associated with the introduction of modern foods and a complete reversal of carb consumption.......see what I did there.:smile:
  • HappyStack
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're implying the Inuit lived no-carb or very-low carb, but if you are that is cherry-picking, too, really. Seasonally they ate algaes, tubers, some grasses like worts (like samphire, but not samphire...), edible flowers and certain grains.

Look up Uqalurait, the book, an oral history of food traditions in Nunavut. It's very interesting stuff.

I don't really believe low-carb is inherently unhealthy, but it can be... just like any diet can be unhealthy if one is not properly informed about the basics of nutrition. I think it's marginally easier to be haphazardly healthy on a completely unrestricted diet, but that's my opinion and I don't have any scientific proof to back that up.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. I hear a lot that you shouldn't eat carbs after 4pm. Well, I'm normal and eat dinner after 6, so what if I want rice with my chicken? Is it going to through me way off for the week just because I eat half a cup of rice at dinner time? I literally don't know what to believe when it comes to carbs !!

I want to pull my hair out !

Help?

If you are exercising to burn fat, it is best done on a fast so no carbs 12 hr before. If you are exercising to build endurance than it doesn't matter. If you are simply trying to lose weight without exercising or not concerned about maximal fat burn, then it doesn't matter when you eat your carbs.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're implying the Inuit lived no-carb or very-low carb, but if you are that is cherry-picking, too, really. Seasonally they ate algaes, tubers, some grasses like worts (like samphire, but not samphire...), edible flowers and certain grains.

Look up Uqalurait, the book, an oral history of food traditions in Nunavut. It's very interesting stuff.

I don't really believe low-carb is inherently unhealthy, but it can be... just like any diet can be unhealthy if one is not properly informed about the basics of nutrition. I think it's marginally easier to be haphazardly healthy on a completely unrestricted diet, but that's my opinion and I don't have any scientific proof to back that up.
    Yes the Inuit lived a low carb diet and for them it was an unrestrictive diet, it was what is was. Just making a point because I've never said one was healthier than the other, you on the other hand feel a low carb diet is not healthy or at least said it needs medical supervision, so just trying to make a point in the last 2 responses. It's all good, I admire your knowledge and conviction btw.:flowerforyou:
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Well, as you know not all low-carb diets are ketogenic and it's the keto diets I believe should be supervised. It's just based on the fact that DM2 is something that is commonly undiagnosed in the obese, and going into DKA is nothing to mess around with.

ETA: likewise. It's nice to have a civil exchange of different opinions, lol.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well, as you know not all low-carb diets are ketogenic and it's the keto diets I believe should be supervised. It's just based on the fact that DM2 is something that is commonly undiagnosed in the obese, and going into DKA is nothing to mess around with.

ETA: likewise. It's nice to have a civil exchange of different opinions, lol.
    Yes, I'm considered low carb, but don't go that low, but have on occasion. Yeah, there is concern of ketoacidosis for sure,it's basically a medical emergency, not something to muck around with but ketosis is not quite the same thing. If someone goes into acidosis, it's pretty much game over. Ketoacidosis pretty much takes place in the absence of insulin, which is the opposite from people with DM2, although I guess the body could stop producing insulin (impaired insulin secretion) in some circumstances, I just don't know how common that is. Basically the difference in the amount of ketones produced and it appears that a ketogenic diet is no where near enough to ever put a person into acidosis which is basically the drop in our pH balance and it's really got nothing to do with the ketones themselves. Also because insulin regulates ketones in a ketogenic diet I'm going to have to say that dying in a plane crash is probably more likely. I'll do more research on this though, but that's my basic understanding.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic is like a friggin' dirty word for me. I truly think keto diets are the worst thing to happen in nutritional fads in a long time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    However, if you don't allow time for digestion, your body will turn the undigested food to storage (fat).

That, too, is nonsense.
    Therefore, digestion gets put to the side.

If the body can't digest something, it by definition can't turn that something into fat, because digestion is the first (and necessary) step in metabolizing food.

Absolutely this ^^.
  • Adomke89
    Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter the time of day. One of the reasons people suggest you eat higher calorie foods earlier in the day is that you are more likely to burn them off throughout the day by walking, working, etc.