Will I lose more weight if I go all natural?

Options
I know I will get a lot of different opinions here. There are people who believe veganism is the only way to go, some prefer Paleo. I know all the diets and I know all the differences.

I'm just curious, will I lose more weight if I eat 1,500 calories of plant-based foods, or will I lose just as much weight if I were to eat 1,500 of anything: processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, etc?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I know I will get a lot of different opinions here. There are people who believe veganism is the only way to go, some prefer Paleo. I know all the diets and I know all the differences.

I'm just curious, will I lose more weight if I eat 1,500 calories of plant-based foods, or will I lose just as much weight if I were to eat 1,500 of anything: processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, etc?
    But the majority of processed foods and HFCS are vegan?
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I could be using the wrong terminology. If I eat 1,500 calories of fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, etc. will I lose more than if I eat 1,500 of whatever I wanted?
  • seabooger
    Options
    If you eat healthy and clean at least 80% of the time you will see results.
    You don't need to be vegan, but eating whole wheat over white helps
    eating all of your fruit and veggies
    having lean meat instead of super fatty meat

just look up "clean eating" etc on sites like tumblr and they'll give you grocery lists etc.

Let's just say 300cals from a chocolate bar is not equal to 300 cals from a fruit bowl. Not only is the fruit bowl more filling, it's 1000000x better for your body.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You may find some other benefits from an all natural diet, but when it comes to weight loss calories are king. Sticking to those calories and staying healthy is made easier by eating certain amounts of protein/fat/carbs during the day.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    that teacher who ate nothing but McDonalds proved you can lose weight on any diet so long as you create a calorie deficit. I don't think that going all natural makes you lose particularly faster but I know that I feel better when I eat all natural (I am not paleo or vegan, I eat meat, gluten, most dairy etc... my only real food restriction is regular milk cause I am mildly lactose intolerant)

I cut down on processed foods because I try to limit my sodium intake (reduces bloating and I have a family history of high blood pressure) and because it gives me more control over the foods I'm eating. I cut out chemicals that may do damage to my body. I also find that eating whole foods fills me up faster and keeps me full longer, I have more energy on a day of no processed foods than I do on a day of fast food or boxed foods.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I could be using the wrong terminology. If I eat 1,500 calories of fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, etc. will I lose more than if I eat 1,500 of whatever I wanted?
    No. But if you include those foods along with lean proteins and natural fat from animals it would be considered healthy and in my opinion sustainable.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

I am going to say yes, you will lose more because junk food (I'm assuming whatever you want is similar to whatever *I* would want) like pizza, fries, ice cream etc... is not going to fill you up as well, you will have less energy to devote to your workouts, you will be eating lots of salt so you will bloat, and because you wont be as full (2 twinkees have about 270 calories, so does a clementine plus 2 scrambled eggs on an english muffin... which would fill you up longer?) you'll be more likely to go over calories because you will be hungry.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I am going to say yes, you will lose more because junk food (I'm assuming whatever you want is similar to whatever *I* would want) like pizza, fries, ice cream etc... is not going to fill you up as well, you will have less energy to devote to your workouts, you will be eating lots of salt so you will bloat, and because you wont be as full (2 twinkees have about 270 calories, so does a clementine plus 2 scrambled eggs on an english muffin... which would fill you up longer?) you'll be more likely to go over calories because you will be hungry.
    The possibility of junk food as you say, (personally I don't classify pizza, fries or ice cream junk food) could lead to over consumption based on lack of satiety with some calorie dense foods, but not when calories are held constant in both diet's, then both will facilitate equal weight loss.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I loose faster eating 'clean' but i think that is more to do with my mindset than my diet.
    I feel healtier so I act healtier - more active, happier where as I find suary/ processed foods make me feel slugish and les likely to get of my butt!
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The less processed crap in your diet and the more natural you eat, the more nourished your body will be. You end up eating less empty calories, and will lose weight quicker. Good luck.
  • jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes, you'd lose just as much weight either way if we're just comparing 1500 calories to 1500 calories. However, with more whole foods and less processed, you'll probably feel better, have less cravings, have more energy, be healthier in general, etc, which might lead to you becoming more active and less discouraged or apt to fall off the wagon, which could in turn get better results. :)

For the record, I don't really eat as clean as I sometimes want to. I eat a decent mix of awesome, fantastic, healthy meals, with some granola bars and cookies and general processed foods in between. I don't doubt that I'd probably feel a lot more awesome if I gave up some of the latter, but it takes a lot of hard work at planning and choosing your foods, and not to mention effort (for me) of saying no to 'convenience' foods when you're really busy. But if you can do it, go for it!
  • nicolemarthacraig
    nicolemarthacraig Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been using MFP since last April. Initially I lost 2 stone on 1200 calories and a couple of cardio classes every week however after losing the 2 stone I stopped losing. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 6 months. So I decided to change things up and try a clean diet for February. i didn't know anything about eating clean but I said I'd try it. I've increased my calories to 2,000 per day and am eating clean only food (i've chosen to stay off bread & dairy for the month also).

So far I've found it great, i've lost 5lbs the first 2 weeks, I'll weigh myself again at the end of the month.Fingers crossed another 4/5lbs will be gone.

So, yes, I think you would lose more weight eating clean, even if you do what I'm doing, do it 100% for one month.

The natural food is so filling that I'm not consuming anything near 2,000 cals per day. I eat every 3 hours and make sure to include protein and carbs each meal.

I weightlift 3 days a week and try and get a couple of runs in also.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for you, there's a vast middle ground that lies in between "only eating whole foods" and "only eating highly processed foods".
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    http://evidencemag.com/calories-count/

I like the middle ground approach. So I can have my cake and eat it too, maybe some veggies that I enjoy along the way :P
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

WRT weight loss in general, a calorie is a calorie; you will lose weight both ways provided that you burn more calories than you take in.

Personally, I feel better eating "cleaner" (more energy, not sluggish, etc.), staying within my calorie budget, increasing my activity, and trying to hit my macros. Plus, I can eat more food throughout the day. The key is to find a system that works best for you that is sustainable over the long run.

Good luck!
  • jbwent
    jbwent Posts: 27
    Options
    If you stick to your allowance you will lose weight no matter what, but if you eat all junk food you will be an unhealthy skinny person. The sayings "You are what you eat" and "You get out what you put in" are definitely true.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

no, but you'll be healthier.