How would you enter this into MFP? (Weightlifting)

Options
How would you estimate/enter a high intensity weightlifting exercise into MFP?

I'm doing the Jamie Eason LiveFit program (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html).

The program basically has you doing an hour of weight lifting (3 sets of 12 of each exercise) with only a minute rest between each session. So should I just select 'weight lifting' when I enter this into MFP? Or circuit training (since there isn't much rest between sets)? Or is there something better to use?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    A minute rest in between each set is not circuit training. With circuit training you get little or no rest.

I'm considering getting a new heart rate monitor that calculates average HR and calories burned to give me better estimates for MFP. I'm currently using 75% of MapMyFitness estimates, which tend to run very high.

I can see my HR with the model I now have, but I can only guess at the overall average (usually about 115 BPM). When I see my HR dip below 110 I run in place until I'm back over 130, then go on to the next lift. I've noticed that upper body lifts don't do much to elevate my HR, even though I'm huffing and puffing, working until exhaustion. Lower body exercises using your larger muscles are much better for bringing your HR up.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you are actually lifting heavy weights then a HRM will not be accurate for estimating calories. I can't comment on any of the Jamie Eason programs though. The best you can do is get some estimates online, cut them by 30-70% and see what works for you over the long run by tracking your weight. Personally, I found estimating calorie burns to be the most frustrating part of the MFP NEAT system and so I switched over and now use TDEE when I'm counting.
  • rugare
    rugare Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are actually lifting heavy weights then a HRM will not be accurate for estimating calories. I can't comment on any of the Jamie Eason programs though. The best you can do is get some estimates online, cut them by 30-70% and see what works for you over the long run by tracking your weight. Personally, I found estimating calorie burns to be the most frustrating part of the MFP NEAT system and so I switched over and now use TDEE when I'm counting.
    I'm new. Can you tell me what TDEE stands for?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm new. Can you tell me what TDEE stands for?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

You can calculate it at scoobysworkshop.com.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have done JE's routines, and also StrongLifts 5x5 and also routines on my own. I never used to count calories burned while weight training - just cardio - because I never felt like I was getting my HR up high enough to make a difference. I got a Polar FT4 HRM for Christmas and now have adding in weight training time under my exercise diary as follows: Under Cardiovascular, I post with this entry: "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" then modify based on my HRM readings since MFP values tend to run a bit high - but the closest entry I have found thus far. If you do not have a HRM then maybe cut the MFP values by 20% and you will have a general idea. If you are not "eating back your calories" then you are probably fine regardless. If you are using your exercise calories to be able to eat more in the day, you are giving yourself a false sense of security to use MFP values to give yourself a higher calorie allowance so be careful with that. (Hope that makes sense.)

Anyway, hope this info is helpful to you.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    get an HRM. I use mine when I do strength and weights. i think it works perfectly for me.
  • rugare
    rugare Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have done JE's routines, and also StrongLifts 5x5 and also routines on my own. I never used to count calories burned while weight training - just cardio - because I never felt like I was getting my HR up high enough to make a difference. I got a Polar FT4 HRM for Christmas and now have adding in weight training time under my exercise diary as follows: Under Cardiovascular, I post with this entry: "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" then modify based on my HRM readings since MFP values tend to run a bit high - but the closest entry I have found thus far. If you do not have a HRM then maybe cut the MFP values by 20% and you will have a general idea. If you are not "eating back your calories" then you are probably fine regardless. If you are using your exercise calories to be able to eat more in the day, you are giving yourself a false sense of security to use MFP values to give yourself a higher calorie allowance so be careful with that. (Hope that makes sense.)

Anyway, hope this info is helpful to you.
    Very helpful! Thank you so much!