Can I get a drink here...

Options
So now it is the weekend, I enjoy, like many people going for a few drinks. Normally it would be a few pints, but i know that is a huge number of calories. I was thinking vodka soda, any other suggestions of low cal options? Also how will alcohol affect my metabolism and weight loss in general? I cannot think it will be good, but as I am very newly single :( I am keen to go out...
Have a great weekend everyone...

Replies

• katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Although alcohol has calories.. If your worried about gaining weight overnight, alcohol alone cannot compare to the calories of alcohol combined with the type of foods that are available around a social setting and how much you consume.

Indulge a little bit in your drinks... but stay away from the eats.

Have fun! ( that's the most important )
  • indianajonex
    Options
    I was worried too last weekend, first girl's night out since started dieting and exercising. I did it right, was even in the famous plateau and started losing weight again, so for me it worked.
    If you're thing is beer, have a protein dinner. Steak, ommelete, that kind of thing. No vegetables, no fruit.
    You'll be able to have 3 or 4 beers without ruining your progress.
    Rest of alcohol, the problem in my opinion is the hangover next day. You'll be less eager to exercise or move.
    So, indecent proposal: beer, soda with lemmon and mint with a hint of what girls will do you for your flat belly, beer, diet coke with lime and a little bit of happyness for being in the right path, beer, soda, beer, coke...
    And have fun!!!!

Jane.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Alcohol itself is very high on calories with 7 Kcal/g (fat is 9 Kcal/g). If you get drunk, it'll ruin your sleep pattern, which in turn will affect pretty much everything in your body negatively.

There is a great rule for drinkin:
    "If you drink, don't get drunk, if you get drunk, don't drink."

(Hmm.. It rhymes a lot better in Japanese..)

I don't think a drink or two is bad for you though! Just.. Everything in moderation.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    Well, i tend to go for straight whisky....... or gin n tonic but any spirit with a low cal mixer is better than beer........ I find if i have one or two and account for it in my cals it only slows down my weight loss a little, HOWEVER if I get blitzed my metabolism gets blown apart, I gain or at best stay the same but my trouble is that being blitzed is one thing but my willpower or focus or call it what you will gets blitzed too so I tend to get the munchies too and just go with it!

anyhow, a decent session chez-moi often takes a week to recover and I'm not just talking about weight loss;) have a good one!
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    The good thing about beer is that you can sip it slowly. If I were you, I would do an extra good workout today and give yourself a nice "cushion" - also eat protein and veggies, as mentioned, and go out knowing how many you can have to stay within your calorie limits! You should be able to "earn" 3 or 4. And yes, of course it's not the healthiest thing in the word - but if allowing yourself a night out with some drinks will allow you to continue you diet and exercise plan, it's worth it. It is a LIFESTYLE change here :)

Another tip - alternate your beers with something non-cal - like water, diet soda... it'll slow down your consumption and make you think twice about having that next one :)

Have FUN! I'm definitely going out and having a couple mulled wines at the christmas market :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The alcohol is absorbed and digested first, leaving the sugars to be absorbed and stored in the body as fat. Plain and simple.
  • martinc1979
    Options
    Well so far so good, just having my 2nd beer, quietly content and chilling... Sadly 3 is my limit for tonight, gonna have to work out alot more if I am going on session... Also good that there are none of those fill a pita with an anonymous meat shops near here... Would love one of those!!! How long is a kebab on a treadmill???
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    The alcohol is absorbed and digested first, leaving the sugars to be absorbed and stored in the body as fat. Plain and simple.

That is not entirely true. If his body is in need of sugar.. Say because of low carb intake, the body will process the sugar just like it would if you ate a banana. You're body does not know the difference. With that said, beer is empty calories. It doesn't have any value to your health.

However, once a week is not going to kill you're diet if you have a few to many. Just get back on with the diet the next day.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I read that Sake actually has the least calories of all alcohols, and it can be mixed like vodka. Sake #1, then vodka. I always mix with soda water (no cals) and a splash of lime. That counts as eating more veggies, right?
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I read that Sake actually has the least calories of all alcohols, and it can be mixed like vodka. Sake #1, then vodka. I always mix with soda water (no cals) and a splash of lime. That counts as eating more veggies, right?

Haha, i'm not sure about that. But I like the sound of it!