What Average weight loss per week with 1200 Calories?

Options
Hi all

I have recently joined and have lost 11lbs, which I'm very pleased with, but wanted to know,
what is the average weight loss per week ? .......with 1200 calories.

I will be starting my excersise routine next week, but would like to loose on average 5lbs to 10lbs per week
Any advice or tips ?

Thanks in advance! Good luck in your weight loss!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Usually 2 pounds a week is average and healthy. I don't know how much you would lose based on 1200 calories because it depends on your BMR and all.
  • deboragray
    Options
    Usually 1-1.5 lbs a week is a realistic goal. if you lose it gradually it will stay off better. And you will be able to maintain it.
    Exercise is a great way to keeep it off and feel great
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Yup, 2 pounds a week is about as much as you can lose and still be healthy. I have done diets in the past where I lost 5 or 6 pounds in a week, but as soon as you get to the weight you want and let your guard down (aka start eating real food again), it piles right back on,
  • chinawolfseyes24
    Options
    There is no set amount of weight you lose with an amount of calories consumed. It depends on your activity level. 1200 calories is the lowest healthy amount for the average woman... also the highest healthy and recommended weightloss for women is 2lbs per week. Any more than that and you risk the loss putting a large strain on your body and mind and not being permanent. It could strain your back and you wouldn't be giving your skin a chance to heal and retract so you might end up with loser skin. Be patient with yourself and you should achieve lifelong success :)

Sorry I repeated stuff.. I guess we were responding at the same time :D Good advice ladies! Lol
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    5 to 10 lbs. a week is not very realistic, or really all that safe. Losing weight slower, 1 to 1 1/2 lbs a week is more of a goal that can get accomplished. I am not saying this to bring you down, I am saying it for safety of your body.
    If you are only eating 1200 calories and exercising, the weight will come off at first, but then if you don't feed your body some, if not all, the calories you are burning during exercise your body will fight back and go into starvation mode.
    I have done the fast fat drops and it always came back x2. You have to give your body days to rest, and days to be in exercise mode. Just don't overdo it. It will come off.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I think 5 to 10 pounds a week maybe a little unrealistic. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint. If you drop weight that quickly chances are you will plateau and stop loosing in a few weeks, and even if you do loose it it is not sustainable to keep off. Also when you loose weight that fast you are breaking down muscle mass not actually loosing fat so its actually counterproductive.

I have a 1200 cal goal and normally loose 1 - 3 pounds a week and that is quite quick for me - I am trying to slow it down and build some muscle mass.

Maybe have a look for some people with similar start and goal weights and see what their rates are. Good luck! xx
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    1200 is quite low and i wouldn't go lower... and i would recommend you eat back every exercise calorie... my two cents of course.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're shooting for 5-10lbs a week, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Trust me, I know! Your body is not going to lose what you want every single week. It's just not. Take measurements, they're going to be the better indicator of your progress.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    fast weight loss=saggy skin.
  • mtshell
    mtshell Posts: 15
    Options
    Right thanks, coz it's saying my BMR should be 1,612 daily and I'm only eating 1200 is this good?
  • P90XLE
    P90XLE Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 11 lb weight loss. However be careful your body will reach a point where you cannot sustain a 1200 calorie diet any longer. With your increased metabolism, you will need to eat more.
  • deboragray
    Options
    The key is to change your eating for really healthy ways that are sustainble for the long run. So you dont feel you are deprived and need to return to bad habits. Go for fresh, unprocessed, quick and easy to prepare. i find to that I have to plan my eating for the day so I dont slip off into foods that arent good for me or not helping me with my goal.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Really depends upon what your weight is ..... 1kg of weight loss to a 65Kg (1.5%) person is different to a 1kg weight loss to a 100Kg person (1%).

Make you goals smart..... realistic and SAFE
  • alibee88
    Options
    Really depends upon what your weight is ..... 1kg of weight loss to a 65Kg (1.5%) person is different to a 1kg weight loss to a 100Kg person (1%).

Make you goals smart..... realistic and SAFE

Why have you given a random reply to a 3 year old thread. I'm pretty sure they're not interested!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Five to ten pounds a week? Ridiculous...impossible ...unsustainable....unhealthy ....did I mention ridiculous!?
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Right thanks, coz it's saying my BMR should be 1,612 daily and I'm only eating 1200 is this good?

not really... unless you are very obese, you are eating too little and you would still lose weight eating above your BMR. It would be the healthier, more sustainable way to do it to be honest. Losing 5-10lbs a week is unrealistic, sorry :(

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
  • hldn590
    hldn590 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat only 1200 calories a day but I am so hungry. No matter what I try. Will this hunger eventually go away if I stick with it on a daily basis ? I can't figure out from all the posts whether 1200 calories is too low or is it healthy? I'm so confused !
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    sorry I offended you .. please chose to ignore my post . :-/
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat only 1200 calories a day but I am so hungry. No matter what I try. Will this hunger eventually go away if I stick with it on a daily basis ? I can't figure out from all the posts whether 1200 calories is too low or is it healthy? I'm so confused !

read here to understand. It can be healthy for someone very petite and/or old, but for most people this is not the most sustainable or healthy way to lose

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work