Toning tables?

Options
Has anyone used these? If so have you had results?

My gym is doing a free trial and then its £29 a month.. is it worth it?

Feedback please :)

Replies

• mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Please :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No--this is another one of those "zombie scams" that comes around periodically. They get publicity, people try them, realize it's a scam, research then shows it's a scam, and they go away.

After 15-20 years, people forget, memories fade--and somebody brings it back to start the cycle all over again.

These were popular about 20 years ago (see, I'm old enough to see the fads return). They are based on a principle of passive resistance. The table moves a body part slowly in one direction, and you try to "resist" the movement. It's essentially a series of isometric contractions.

The tables and the exercise strategy was developed for use by people suffering from paralysis, stroke, or other debilitating physical condition. For people who cannot actively move their limbs, this type of passive resistance can be very helpful to prevent further atrophy, aid in recovery, etc. But it's extremely low-level type exercise.

A "normal" person has more than enough physical capacity to engage in greater resistive efforts. Would you "feel" "results" using those tables for a month? Sure you would -- at least you would "feel" something. But that's only because it would be something different. That's a transient effect that would not last at all.

They were a scam then, and they are a scam now--just like other "zombie" scams like HCG, electric-stim pads, toning shoes, etc.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Azdak's post is spot on.

I would say, forget the tables and go out for a long walk every few days, running is better if you can manage it, or weights, or... well just about any form of "real" exercise.

Another on of the "zombie" scams doing the rounds are the Zagora (and other brands) sweat pants; there were plastic sweat suits in the '80s that did nothing and now they are back as a "high tech sports" garment, but they still don;t work for long term weight loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak's post is spot on.

I would say, forget the tables and go out for a long walk every few days, running is better if you can manage it, or weights, or... well just about any form of "real" exercise.

Another on of the "zombie" scams doing the rounds are the Zagora (and other brands) sweat pants; there were plastic sweat suits in the '80s that did nothing and now they are back as a "high tech sports" garment, but they still don;t work for long term weight loss.

Good catch about the pants--I'll have to be on the lookout for those.
  • dickrye
    Options
    Toning tables DO WORK and if they are offering a free trial why not. I myself have lupus and they have done wonders for me, so much so that I opened my own gym featuring toning tables. I have healthly clients who use the tables you have to work with the table if you want results, there are many diferrent ways to get a more intense workout with toning tables. I have peolple who use one of the table for 10 min and there abs are killing after ...WHY bc they are toning up the muscles and you will see results. I do have older clients who just let the tables do the work for them but they are using them for circulation and increased mobility.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Toning tables DO WORK and if they are offering a free trial why not. I myself have lupus and they have done wonders for me, so much so that I opened my own gym featuring toning tables. I have healthly clients who use the tables you have to work with the table if you want results, there are many diferrent ways to get a more intense workout with toning tables. I have peolple who use one of the table for 10 min and there abs are killing after ...WHY bc they are toning up the muscles and you will see results. I do have older clients who just let the tables do the work for them but they are using them for circulation and increased mobility.

Great first post. It's nice to have you here. I'm sure you will be an asset to the community. Let's keep in touch.
  • E99A05M10
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories are burned when you use the toning tables? I'm sure it would be different depending on resistance, duration, body fat, lean muscle, etc. I have found some info online, but not much. I was surprised that toning tables are not in the exercise database. Just like how walking is listed at different paces and inclines (kind of) do you think toning tables could be added to the database at diferent levels? I tried to add 'exercise' in the 'toning' category, but when entered in my estimate of sets/reps and so on, the calculator came up with nothing for the calories burned. I just know it counts for something! :) I'm at the VERRRY begnning of exercising, tracking, etc & I definately want to track everything so I can see positive results for encouragement, and stay accountable for the not so proud moments.
    Thanks in advance for any and all info!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    We have a couple of these in our rehab section of our Wellness center. And that's exactly what they are used for REHAB. If you aren't ill or rehabbing, using weights and machines are just as effective without paying an outrageous price to use them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    We have a couple of these in our rehab section of our Wellness center. And that's exactly what they are used for REHAB. If you aren't ill or rehabbing, using weights and machines are just as effective without paying an outrageous price to use them.

IDEA Fitness member

Well I've been doing it for almost 2 months now and I lost 6 inches in the first 6 weeks (I'm not that big so I think its a fair amount)

Also there are different things that you can adapt each machine for, as there are some people with weak muscles that use the machines to try and keep them mobile whereas the instructors have shown us different techniques on each machine to make it more effective.

I think its a good thing because its not too harsh on my joints (mine are a little weak) but its definately a case of you only get out of it what you put in :)

Thank you for your feedback anyway though :)

EDIT: And also, as for the price the membership in the main gym where I live is more expensive and what I'm paying also includes free swimming. Overall I think it is good value for money and I feel more confident there as its women only.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well I've been doing it for almost 2 months now and I lost 6 inches in the first 6 weeks (I'm not that big so I think its a fair amount)

Also there are different things that you can adapt each machine for, as there are some people with weak muscles that use the machines to try and keep them mobile whereas the instructors have shown us different techniques on each machine to make it more effective.

I think its a good thing because its not too harsh on my joints (mine are a little weak) but its definately a case of you only get out of it what you put in :)

Thank you for your feedback anyway though :)

EDIT: And also, as for the price the membership in the main gym where I live is more expensive and what I'm paying also includes free swimming. Overall I think it is good value for money and I feel more confident there as its women only.
    Well again, we use them for rehabbing patients. After they are strong enough, we have them continue on strength training programs with our standard gym equipment. Personally I believe restricting knowledge of exercise to machines is detrimental to maintaining weight because people who rely on them, then lose access to them have no idea on how to continue exercising on their own.
    But everyone finds what works for them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • E99A05M10
    Options
    I really like the toning tables so far and would like to build up to being able to lift weights. I do have a previous ankle injury and my wrists and hands are too weak to grasp weights. Toning tables are getting me movin:) Thank you all for your input
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I like how every time someone makes a thread about something outlandish asking for feedback, they dismiss people with credentials saying it's a scam, saying "they lost inches/weight with it." Guess what? I lost 100 pounds without doing any exercise a few years back. Does that mean sitting on my *kitten* was the greatest exercise of all? Or does that mean I was eating less than my body burned?
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    I really like the toning tables so far and would like to build up to being able to lift weights. I do have a previous ankle injury and my wrists and hands are too weak to grasp weights. Toning tables are getting me movin:) Thank you all for your input

It's great that you are doing something but, you'll never build up the strength in your hands and wrists (your grip) until you start to pick things up. Toning tables just won't improve that area of your body. So, under your current plan when you do decide to start lifting, you will still have the issues of yor grip.
  • kiarajade1
    kiarajade1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did toning tables several years ago and lost a lot of inches from top of legs and torso. Main problem is did not lose much weight and as soon as I stopped the inches were gradually regained. Good for people with mobility problems or want to take things gradually (not everyone wants to spend hours in a gym with weights, not everyone can do it) I enjoyed doing toning tables when I did it and I think if you try and like it its better than not doing anything at all - always good fun if a group of you go.

If there was a salon closer to where I live I would restart toning tables
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I did toning tables several years ago and lost a lot of inches from top of legs and torso. Main problem is did not lose much weight and as soon as I stopped the inches were gradually regained. Good for people with mobility problems or want to take things gradually (not everyone wants to spend hours in a gym with weights, not everyone can do it) I enjoyed doing toning tables when I did it and I think if you try and like it its better than not doing anything at all - always good fun if a group of you go.

If there was a salon closer to where I live I would restart toning tables
    Thing is you don't even need the gym. Learning just how to work your muscles effectively (you can squat at home and if it get too easy, then try switching to doing one leg at a time) with body weight makes a difference. Spending money on machinery that's NEEDED to do a workout is how they get you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
  • bluecat71151
    Options
    I use them here in France and they do what I want them to do which is to tone this ageing, sagging flesh. What I'm trying to do is to figure out a rough calorie count. Despite the tables being passive exercise, calories are still expended. I will keep searching for the answer. These are the best way to get my name and exercise in the same sentence!
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Azdak's post is spot on.

What do you mean the plastic suits did nothing? As a college wrestler they were great for sweating off the last few pounds to make weigh ins. I liked to come in 10lbs overweight 2 hours before weigh in, put on sweats under the plastics and sweats over. All I had to do was run about 30 mins then keep moving 10 mins out of every half hour and I'd sweat off 10 lbs in 2 hours. Then drink it right back on. It was easier than sitting in a sauna because your head wasn't exposed to as much heat and you could breath in cooler air.
  • kiarajade1
    kiarajade1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used tables for a period about 10 years ago. They do not help with weight loss but did help with toning. Lost a lot of inches during my time using them. Now have a home toning table which I enjoy as both massage and low impact workout. They do work but results depend on the amount of effort put in