Ideal BMI - TOO SKINNY…??

Options
Hi All,

I have lost around 1 and a half stones so far through diet and excersize. I am a 6ft 3" male and i am 34 years old. If I was to follow the BMI rule 19 - 25BMI range i can't help but feel i will be too skinny. i currently weigh 218lb (still some way to go i know..)

At BMI 23, I should weigh 13 and half stones which is 189lb. In reality however - this would make me look too thin i feel? A BMI of 25 would mean i would have to weigh 200llb (14st 4lb). This to me is what makes me look pretty thin but more "normal" but i am at the top end of the BMI scale.

How accurate is the bmi scale? I just don't want to look too skinny as it is easily done when you are my height!

Comments/advice welcome!

Replies

• GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hI, check out the BMI calc. at iifym.com you'll feel a lot better. Trust me.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Doesn't work at all for my husband. He's 5'10", naturally muscular and at 180lb had <10% body fat. BMI definitely has it's limitations.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My opinion of a "ideal" weight for someone is 1) where they feel the most happy/comfortable and 2) where they are free of co-morbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) associated with excess weight. So no, the BMI charts are not good for everyone. Personally, I am within my "normal" weight range according to BMI, but towards the top at 5'4-5'5 and 141 lbs. I am attempting to maintain, because sure, I COULD lose a little more, but I am happy and healthy where I'm at.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 6'1 and broad shouldered. He is always firmly in the 'over weight' BMI group despite being in fair shape, and would look ill at BMI 25.

So I don't think it works at all for all tall people, most especially those with muscular frames.