Not losing like I think I should be

Options
Here is my story:
I have lost a total of 42 pounds since August 2013, mostly from being on the Ideal Protein diet (ketosis diet, under 50 g carbs/day). I went off that diet in January, but continued keeping my carb count on the low side, under 100g.

Shortly before joining MFP, I decided to stop doing low carb. I miss bread. And chocolate.

I have only been counting calories for about 6 weeks now, and just started using MFP about a week ago. I am almost always under my calorie allotment for the day, some days way under, and I haven't lost an ounce for a week. (My profile says I lost 2 pounds, but I had entered in the wrong weight when I set up my account so that was merely an adjustment, not an actual loss)

I walk 5-7 miles a day, 6 days a week, do some pilates every day, do some strength training on the gym machines 5 or 6 days a week and swim for 1/2 hour 5 days a week. I am participating in a weight loss challenge and weigh in every week, so I am frustrated and looking for advice! Maybe I am just being neurotic and fretting over nothing, but my competition ends in 6 weeks. I would also like to lose another 40 pounds, by June if possible.

Oh and the other wierd thing is that my weight varies widely day to day. I weigh myself at the same time every day and in the same clothes, and my weight can vary by as much as 3.5 pounds from one day to the next, up and down and back up over several days. Any thoughts on that?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Oh and the other wierd thing is that my weight varies widely day to day. I weigh myself at the same time every day and in the same clothes, and my weight can vary by as much as 3.5 pounds from one day to the next, up and down and back up over several days. Any thoughts on that?

That's completely normal, and nothing to worry about. Most people's weight fluctuates by several pounds a day due to consumption and water weight.

How are you getting the calorie count for the foods you eat? Measure, weight, eyeball? If you aren't losing weight, it's likely you're eating too much. (flawed calorie logging/counting)
  • CamberTilly
    CamberTilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I measure, count, eat the specific serving size, etc. If I am in doubt, I overestimate the amount just to be on the safe side. I'm sure I'm not 100% accurate 100% of the time, but I do strive to accurately track.
  • tserine
    tserine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am glad you brought this topic.
    I am having a similar issue here which is really demotivating me to go the gym :(. I started of at 142 ( my heaviest, my normal weight is 112lb). I have been consistently running and sweating my *kitten* off in the gym and also doing pilates from Blogilates but my weight seemed to fluctuate a lot. It was down to 141 last week and this week its up to 144. I have lost weight before and it was very easy but this time it is just not cutting it. I drink a lot of water ( about a gallon or so) maybe its the water weight i don't know. Also, once i was in my period when i was doing my weigh in and from what i have heard your body retains a lot of water during those weeks. Also, i read somewhere that if you are new to certain workout your body will take time to adjust.
    But your case sounds more like a platue to me, I have been there before too. :(. You will need to change your workout, make it more challenging. Start doing interval running or zumba's and Hot yoga helps too.
    Let me know your progress, hopefully it will help me too:smile:
    good luck!
  • CamberTilly
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! It makes me feel less crazy that someone else is/has been here! I will look more into the interval thing. I do occasionally (like 1or 2x/week) mix some jogging into my walking, but not following any specific program that way. Hopefully I will have good things to report by this week's weigh in.

When I get on the scale and it hasn't moved, or worse, has gone up, it occurs to me that all the time I put in at the gym isn't worth it and I should just go make friends with a tub of ice cream instead. :smile: What's kept me motivated this week, though, is that for the first time in my adult life, I jogged an entire mile, in 12 minutes, without stopping. That felt good.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I was looking over your diary and a couple of things caught my attention. First, how are you determining your calorie burns? Some days your diary indicates you burned over 1,000 cals from exercise. Second, I saw only maybe one or two days where you ate over 1200 calories. If you are exercising as much as you say, you should be eating more. Check out the calculators at www.iifym.com. They are very helpful in figuring out the proper amounts for you to be eating each day, as well as how your macros should look.
  • CamberTilly
    Options
    I do burn a lot of calories through exercise. I "work out" (gym, swimming) for 2-3 hours per day most days. (I am blessed to have a lot of time on my hands for the moment). I also use the strength training machines at the gym, but don't track those in MFP as there are like 12 machines that I use and they don't seem to affect the calorie outcomes in MFP.

I use the calorie counts off the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. For swimming, horseback riding, etc. I use the MFP calorie counts. Because I know that actual calories burned can differ from what the machines and MFP say, and because I am in this weight loss challenge and want to win, so far, I generally haven't been eating back all those calories.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    First of all, your weight will fluctuate day to day, a lot of it has to do with your sodium consumption. Lower the sodium in your food and you will see better consistency.

as for not losing after going of low carb, you have allowed your glycogen stores to replenish after being in a depleted state. Glycogen stores hold water, so a lot of the "weight" that you can't shake is this water attaching to your new glycogen stores. this is ok, and I wouldn't reccommend going back to low carb if you stopped enjoying it. You just have a new starting point.

I do believe 1200 cals is little for you. I don't know your height but unless you are 5' then this is not the best thing, especially if you're not going to eat your exercise calories back. 1200 + exercise calories should be the very minimum for you. The machines in the gym and MFP numbers overestimate your burns, so maybe eat about 60% of those back, but please do. Also look at your TDEE (various online calculators) and the appropriate cut from it (5-20%) for your calorie goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp
  • yft14
    yft14 Posts: 5
    Options
    Do remember that eating too little causes your body to retain fat! You want to hit your target intake as spot on as you can, maybe just 100 or so calories under. And in small meals to keep your metabolism going all day.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do remember that eating too little causes your body to retain fat! You want to hit your target intake as spot on as you can, maybe just 100 or so calories under. And in small meals to keep your metabolism going all day.

while I agree the OP could and should eat more, I disagree with your statement above.

meal frequency and timing has been proven irrelevant by many studies. it's total calories that count and your "metabolism" doesn't increase or decrease whether you eat all your calories in one seating or in 6 (or 35) small meals a day.

As for fat while in large caloric deficit, you still lose a lot of it, since the body has to reach into all reserves for energy. At the same time it will be tapping into muscle which is a source that is more easily accessible than fat and the body will try to preserve some of the fat for even harsher times. This happens when you are on VLCD for a long time, not just a few days/weeks. Also you will not gain fat while on VLCD. Where there are no bricks, no house is getting built.
  • CamberTilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and support! I will work at eating back more of my exercise calories and try some interval training routines to see if that will make a difference!
  • yft14
    yft14 Posts: 5
    Options
    How would you say it has been proven? There are a lot of studies out there that misuse the results of studies to try to "prove" one way or another. It's true that if you eat fewer calories than you burn every day, you will lose weight. There's just no other way that will happen. However, part of the weight you lose is muscle. In addition, it can make those "last few pounds" very hard to drop.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You have only been using MFP for one week, give it more time. Also, as you lose weight, your weight loss will be slower because you are closer to caloric equilibrium.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The calorie counts on gym equipment are WAY off, if you can, invest in a HRM.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you ease up on your workouts as overtraining can affect cortisol levels, which in turn can impact weight loss.
    You are also eating too little for your activity level, which simply adds to matters.
    Eat more and reduce your workout time would be my suggestion.
    Fill the time with a good book, some voluntary work, a new hobby or somesuch if you have too much time on your hands.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I also use the strength training machines at the gym, but don't track those in MFP as there are like 12 machines that I use and they don't seem to affect the calorie outcomes in MFP.
    I'd stopped recording my weightlifting when I realized it wasn't counting in the calories, then I found a way around it, using the system provided.
    Under cardio, search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" and that weightlifting will start to count.
    It only gives you about 6 calories per minute, and there's no difference if you're lifting 10lb or 100lb, but that's better than nothing.