how many calories over maintenance is too much?!

Options
Hello everyone!:) maintenance going well and I'm enjoying it very much!! When i go over my calories certain days I make up for it on other days.. but I was wondering something. This weekend I've overall gone over my around 1,000 calories. I would usually make up for it by splitting the calories over the next few days but I was wondering, if I were to eat my normal amount and not make up for the 1,000 calories extra how much weight would I gain? How much is too much? Thank you:)!x

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I found that following a daily calorie target was too stressful for me. It made me obsess about food. Being on maintenance is, to me, being able to eat "normally", which means on some days I overeat and on some I undereat my calorie limit but, in the end, it balances out.
    Perhaps you can look at your weekly daily calorie average? Take your daily calories x7 and make sure your weekly calories fit into this amount and don't worry about each individual day.
    Maintenance should mean that you are aware of what & how much you're eating but also you are able to enjoy the occasional indulgence and learn to compensate. It's also a "range' and not an "exact number" on the scale. "Too much" is when you go above your personal accepted "range". Most people have a +/- 3-5 lbs range around their ideal weight (a 6-10 lb window).
  • rachellebells
    rachellebells Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi:) thanks for the reply, but that is actually what I already do. I try to have the same calorie intake each Week but it varies from day to day.My question is that I was wondering how many extra calories you could get away with weekly without any significant gain.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1 pound equals 3800 calories...soooo...at the end of the week see how close (over/under) you are. Does that help?
  • rachellebells
    rachellebells Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ah okay!! Thank you!! Yes i think so:) ill probably leave it this time and experiment with it!! Worse that can happen is ill gain a pound or so but it will go as soon As I resume my normal weekly intake :) thank youuu
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!