Cheat days?

Options
Does anyone have a set day they allow them selves that fave chocolate bar/treat or days of like no calorie limit?

I thinking of introducing 1 day for every 2 weeks of 'good' days, just wondering if they're effective in staying on track and reduce binging?

Replies

• cshouston81
    Options
    Personally, I feel like it's a distraction and might make you MORE likely to binge. I prefer to just stick to my guns. The longer I do, the easier it is.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I do not know about binging but it may mean something different for you. Yesterday was a 3k cal day but over a week not a big deal. And once over 2 weeks, if it works for you...enjoy!
  • em1773
    em1773 Posts: 10
    Options
    It depends on the person. I have found that some of my friends can do a cheat day, eat one unhealthy meal and then feel fine. Me on the other hand, will use that day to binge. It just depends on what kind of person you are. I personally have found that little treats throughout the week have worked better for me than one whole day.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    it definatly works for me, on saturdays i eat what i want but log it all, on sundays i stil have treats but stay below maintanance, then every other day i stay below my calorie goal and eat alot better, .... i know people may disagree with this but if i didnt have my cheat days then theres no way i would have stuck with this.... also im at my goal weight and ive managed to maintain:)
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    also i stil have a small treat everyday:)
  • Suznd75
    Options
    I agree that it definitely depends on the person...I am finding the more I stick to plan the easier it is. If I allow some treats, I just want more. Being on ww I should be able to "budget" for treats, but I know the way my mind works and literally I have maybe had 1/2 a cookie since December which is totally out of the norm for me! Once I start, I just want more.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have what I want, when I want everyday!

I don't deprive myself that isn't healthy
    I learned the hard way when I was strict and I just allowed myself a treat once a week, I found myself binging and gaining the weight back.
    Never Again will I make that mistake, I eat wholesome foods however if I have the urge to eat frozen yogurt, chips or chocolate, I fit it into my macros. By doing this I've allowed myself the freedom of not stressing about a cheat meal and such. That's just exhausting. Also I have found myself not to eat at much treats because I'm flexible.
    And I'm still fit :)
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't think one day is going to undo what you've done. However, you have to be careful. If you are weak and accustom yourself to a cheat day and think, "Oh, that wasn't bad, just one more day...", and the cycle continues. I myself took yesterday and today off of "dieting". I am going to start back tomorrow. I can tell you from my days off, I feel like CRAP. I don't feel well, I'm not myself. And once tomorrow rolls around, I'll remember how crummy I felt.

Either way, an occasional treat is necessary.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days - but I never stop myself from eating anything.

If I want something "bad" I log it and either work it off or make it up later or the next day.

I've found that by not banning any foods - I don't have binge issues.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't do full on days (on purpose) but instead won't deprive myself of anything I want. Sometimes after getting a "treat" after so long of not having it, I realize I do not have the same taste for it as I once did. And then it's, "I spent how many calories on WHAT?! Never again" :laugh: I would attribute this to making small treats myself at home and controlling the portions, mostly by only making a little at a time. I have some version of a typically calorific meal or treat very often at home.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't do planned cheat days, I just take life as it comes. That is why it is really important for me to stick to my calorie total because I never know when I will get a text for a "Happy hour" or get invited to a last minute party or dinner at a friends. So its not like "shoot I already had my cheat day". I can go 10-15 days on target then get thrown a curve ball and be okay. Took a walk on the beach with a friend yesterday, we stopped and had fish & chips, no problem. We landed up walking for over 3 hours!!!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel like it's a distraction and might make you MORE likely to binge. I prefer to just stick to my guns. The longer I do, the easier it is.

I feel the same way. I am certain it is different for everyone though. You get to know your own body and your own limits as time goes by. Trial and error :)