Hunger pangs

Options

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain young lady. I am an emergency communications operator for a Level I Trauma Hospital in Kansas and we are connected to the emergency room. Nurse's celebrate EVERYTHING. Bonnie got pregnant---someone bake a cake, Judy got engaged----someone make a pot of chili, there's a blade of grass growing in the parking lot---SOMEONE GRILL A BUFFALO!!! I deal with this kind of stuff at least once a week.
    WATER WATER WATER is your best friend. Also keep some good snacks around. I love having cups of sugar-free Jello and sugar-free pudding in the fridge and plenty of fruit. You can do this. Just keep your eye on the prize and keep pushing. U CAN DO THIS!!!

Being a nurse, I know this is true. Always goodies in the back room. But "there's a blade of grass growing in the parking lot --SOMEONE GRILL A BUFFALO" made me laugh! haha
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. Be firm. You will get use to the diet. Clean out the house, get rid of the processed junk. Remember sugar is worse for the liver than alcohol. I find that wheat drive hunger, it is even more of a struggle to get rid of wheat, but that helps.
    Dr Oz suggested that you weight the calories heavier in the morning, something like breakfast 700, lunch 500, and supper 200. You burn more calories that way.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain young lady. I am an emergency communications operator for a Level I Trauma Hospital in Kansas and we are connected to the emergency room. Nurse's celebrate EVERYTHING. Bonnie got pregnant---someone bake a cake, Judy got engaged----someone make a pot of chili, there's a blade of grass growing in the parking lot---SOMEONE GRILL A BUFFALO!!! I deal with this kind of stuff at least once a week.
    WATER WATER WATER is your best friend. Also keep some good snacks around. I love having cups of sugar-free Jello and sugar-free pudding in the fridge and plenty of fruit. You can do this. Just keep your eye on the prize and keep pushing. U CAN DO THIS!!!

:laugh: That makes me laugh, as I used to work in the ED and know exactly what you mean. You just have to tune it out and make it not an option. I work with nurses now and we've made a culture shift and have lighter salad bar potlucks or soup and salad potlucks. Instead of desserts and cookies to celebrate holidays we bring in beautiful fruit trays to share. still a dessert now and then but not that big of deal like other places. Healthcare workers can be the worst. :devil:
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Veggies are your friends, eat more veggies :)

Also, you will be hungry to a certain point. You are giving your body less food than it needs so it will burn your stores. That involves a little hunger.

If you are truly having trouble at the rate of losing 1 ib a week, then try dropping to .5 instead. I know slower sucks, but it sucks a lot less than not keeping to it because you were hungry all the time.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have cibrophobia so the steaming veggies and the like isn't really an option.

Well what is an option?
    You are saying you have a phobia of all vegetables?
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My tip is a little bit counter-culture for MFP. I suggest you consider not exercising during the first month or two of a weight loss program, just diet and be a couch potato. Yes, exercising can help retain a bit more lean mass and burn some extra calories, but study after study shows that exercise really intensifies hunger to the point that many people cannot lose weight by exercise alone or will even gain weight due the increased hunger. Moreover, that tendency to maintain or increase meal size with exercise means your stomach's stretch receptor's and associated hunger feedback system (leptin etc) do not readjust to accept smaller portions as satiating. I suspect this stomach retraining process may be particularly defeated when someone starts their weight loss program right off with intensive exercise and follows the 'eat back your calories' strategy that is heavily promoted on MFC.

It's not that I don't think that exercise and eating back calories should come into play at some point in a weight loss program, but my own experience and readings suggest they might best come into play AFTER a person gets some control on portion sizing and acclimates a bit to just having a daily calorie deficit. In my case that strategy worked amazingly and drastically reduced the early diet pangs. After a couple months I started in with some low intensity exercise and have been ramping it up with some eating back of calories in the form of in-between-meal snacks. That is simply because my stomach is now retrained to smaller portions and it would not be good to undo that. As it turns out it is now actually uncomfortable if I do try to eat amounts in one sitting that used to be common for me. I almost never feel a desire to go back for seconds. I consider that a big success for my ability to maintain my weight loss.

Interestingly, my wife and I started our diets at the same time and she started right in with the exercise and eating back calories because she liked not having to reduce portions or daily intake as much. I was initially overloaded at work and didn't have time for the gym and so I just dieted to the same total calorie deficit goal as her. As it now stands I have been able to maintain my diet and she has ended up starting and stopping repeatedly. I have lost about 4 times what she has and it is now a family joke that it's not fair to compare her to me because I don't need food anymore. Obviously I do, but just much less in a given sitting and I attribute this to holding off on the hunger-intensifying effects of exercise early on to allow my hunger satiation system a chance to reset.
    I am in awe over this....please link the studies you've been reading. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you say study after study supports this, then please back it up with valid links. One thing I will say, athletes don't diet...they don't restrict themselves to 1200-1500 or 1800 calories a day. They look at food as fuel for their bodies, they try to find ways to fit more protein into their day, more good carbs, more vegetables, more vitamins through good food so they can workout and have their bodies functioning at full capacity. So, that might be what you mean?

There is more nuance to it than in my original post, but basically the research suggests that exercise can lead to appetite suppression for an hour or so after a workout, but that there is a longer term rebound effect on hunger. That rebound effect unfortunately hit out of shape people and women the hardest. Here is a little popular article summarizing these studies:
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/control-cravings/control-your-post-workout-appetite/

Here's one summarizing various studies that suggest compensation effects from exercise may be more common than we often think:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health

Indeed there is enough data on compensation effects such as increased hunger that the American College of Sports Medicine released a statement that for most people exercise alone (without calorie restriction) is not effective for weight loss.

The bit about reducing intake reducing stomach capacity and hunger is pretty straight forward. Indeed, one study showed a 27-36% reduction in stomach capacity after just one month of reduction to a 1000 cal diet. Most of us do not cut quite that severely, but given that stomach distention signals satiation anywhere near that reduction would help most people experience less hunger and succeed in their diets. However, that reduction in stomach capacity logically does not occur unless one reduces actual volume of intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561056?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1
  • KrisBitz
    KrisBitz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot that we often confuse those hunger pains, in fact your body might just be thirsty. If you were to start drinking water before or after your meal when you start getting those "hunger pains", you'll notice yourself being satisfied. I use to drink a ton of soda and ice teas, so if you don't like plain water add some lemon to it.

But trust me, drinking more water overall is going to help. It helped me begin my journey, I have a long way to go still but whenever I did have success, it was because of my increased water intake.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    My tip is a little bit counter-culture for MFP. I suggest you consider not exercising during the first month or two of a weight loss program, just diet and be a couch potato. Yes, exercising can help retain a bit more lean mass and burn some extra calories, but study after study shows that exercise really intensifies hunger to the point that many people cannot lose weight by exercise alone or will even gain weight due the increased hunger. Moreover, that tendency to maintain or increase meal size with exercise means your stomach's stretch receptor's and associated hunger feedback system (leptin etc) do not readjust to accept smaller portions as satiating. I suspect this stomach retraining process may be particularly defeated when someone starts their weight loss program right off with intensive exercise and follows the 'eat back your calories' strategy that is heavily promoted on MFC.

It's not that I don't think that exercise and eating back calories should come into play at some point in a weight loss program, but my own experience and readings suggest they might best come into play AFTER a person gets some control on portion sizing and acclimates a bit to just having a daily calorie deficit. In my case that strategy worked amazingly and drastically reduced the early diet pangs. After a couple months I started in with some low intensity exercise and have been ramping it up with some eating back of calories in the form of in-between-meal snacks. That is simply because my stomach is now retrained to smaller portions and it would not be good to undo that. As it turns out it is now actually uncomfortable if I do try to eat amounts in one sitting that used to be common for me. I almost never feel a desire to go back for seconds. I consider that a big success for my ability to maintain my weight loss.

Interestingly, my wife and I started our diets at the same time and she started right in with the exercise and eating back calories because she liked not having to reduce portions or daily intake as much. I was initially overloaded at work and didn't have time for the gym and so I just dieted to the same total calorie deficit goal as her. As it now stands I have been able to maintain my diet and she has ended up starting and stopping repeatedly. I have lost about 4 times what she has and it is now a family joke that it's not fair to compare her to me because I don't need food anymore. Obviously I do, but just much less in a given sitting and I attribute this to holding off on the hunger-intensifying effects of exercise early on to allow my hunger satiation system a chance to reset.

Its a fact that males lose quicker than females.
  • sunnydaze2142
    sunnydaze2142 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I am new to this too and at first I would even wake up with the hunger pangs so what I did was eat a couple of saltine crackers a little later in the evening.....started off with maybe 4 or 5 and then a glass of water to expand the crackers and over a few days I just lowered the amount of crackers and now I don't eat them and don't get the hunger pangs. I did this figuring it was like a baby you wanted to sleep through night---just give them a little pablum before bed....haha
  • skinnywitch69
    skinnywitch69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do not buy or have chocolates in the house, Only keep one pack of biscuits at a time, then if you scoff the lot you will feel soooooooo guilty as you deprive anyone else a biccie. Also if you have a partner tell them not to treat you to any chocs.
    If you plan your meals when you are brushing your teeth or getting lovely, you can look forward to each meal during the day which might take your mind off eating food for fatties! I have just completed my first week and lost 1 pound. If I exercise more, drink more water and eat more salad and fruit I hope to lose another couple next week.
  • jbwent
    jbwent Posts: 27
    Options
    You might have your goals set too high to start if you're getting really hungry. Better to start slow then increase your goal. If your very active later in the day you might be burning more calories than your allowance. Use the exercise journal to track your activity, treadmills are not the only thing that burn calories. I burned 800 calories plastering my basement for 3 hours after work the other night. I needed to replenish some of that and the food journal will give you extra calories to do just that.
  • Chrysallis_1
    Chrysallis_1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be sure to fill up on low calorie, fiber -rich foods. It will help. Also, there are flavorless, colorless fiber supplement powders you can add to your beverages.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I get hunger pangs I just tell myself, "this is expected. The path I am on will lead to hunger at times. It is a choice I am making."
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have cibrophobia so the steaming veggies and the like isn't really an option.
    I have never heard of this so I googled it... couldn't find cibrophobia but did find cibophobia which is a fear of food. Is this correct?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to use grapes. Grapes are pretty low calorie and fill me up REALLY well. Just stock your fridge with grapes and whenever you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and eat a cup of grapes. Usually that does it for me.
  • SunshineNo1
    SunshineNo1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have found its helpful to throw out all the processed food and just have whole foods. You can eat fruits like bananas, apples and oranges along with few almonds and a glass of water for hunger pangs. If you have chocolate in your pantry, you sure will be taking one and cheating on you!!
  • SunshineNo1
    Options
    Drink water and watch a comedy movie that will work too
  • SunshineNo1
    Options
    I'm currently set to loose less than 1lb a week, but it's still so much less than I was eating before. Which is why I need to go on this diet to begin with I know...but it's really hard. I went dancing yesterday and that really crippled me. Doing the Charlston in heels having never done it before is NOT a good idea lol,

So anyway, without an exercise boost I'm struggling. I've nearly reached my goal and I'm STARVING! I know that the hunger fades as the body gets used to a lower calorie diet, but urgh...starting the damned thing is the hardest part. I just want to snag the chocolates from the other room and EAT

Hunger is really your stomach telling you it isn't as packed full of food as it is used to being. You modify those signals in your brain, and most obese get anxious at them and start to eat.

You have to tame your stomach.

Those signals will fade over time as the stomach adjusts to its new size.

And it doesn't take that long. Maybe 5-6 days.

So gut it out, and realize it is just a temporary thing.

How can I like your post. Very true
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set to loose less than 1lb a week, but it's still so much less than I was eating before. Which is why I need to go on this diet to begin with I know...but it's really hard. I went dancing yesterday and that really crippled me. Doing the Charlston in heels having never done it before is NOT a good idea lol,

So anyway, without an exercise boost I'm struggling. I've nearly reached my goal and I'm STARVING! I know that the hunger fades as the body gets used to a lower calorie diet, but urgh...starting the damned thing is the hardest part. I just want to snag the chocolates from the other room and EAT

Hunger is really your stomach telling you it isn't as packed full of food as it is used to being. You modify those signals in your brain, and most obese get anxious at them and start to eat.

You have to tame your stomach.

Those signals will fade over time as the stomach adjusts to its new size.

And it doesn't take that long. Maybe 5-6 days.

So gut it out, and realize it is just a temporary thing.

I am so happy to hear this!! My hunger pangs have been subsiding a bit, I'm starting to relax more instead of wanting to eat.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When you feel 'hungry', really think about whether you're hungry or you're just bored and looking for something to do - this is something I suffer from.

When the hunger pangs start, give yourself 15-20mins and see if you're still hungry. If you are, have something that is wholesome and high in fiber, e.g. banana, apple, hummous, greek yoghurt with fruit, peanut butter (watch the amount!).

If you're nearing your calorie limit for the day, have a large class of water. I usually go to make myself a green tea. By the time the kettle has boiled and the tea is cool enough to drink, the hunger has faded.

As already mentioned by others, you will naturally be more hungry at first because you're eating less than you used to. Make sure you select foods that release energy slowly throughout the day to curb that hunger.

You will get used to it - good luck :smile: :flowerforyou: